Plenty of teams need to shed salary before season start

ddaryl

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

My biggest beef with the SS gif collection is the lack of Johnny Dangerously gifs.

I eat filet mignion seven times a day.

My bathtub's filled with Perrier 

What can I say?

This is the life!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:23 PM, thewookie1 said:

We were rumored to be the favorite candidate.

Buffalo, Seattle and Arizona were in the mix with Buffalo being supposedly the likeliest 

I wouldn't doubt if Adams held fast to wanting Philly's 1st next year to take him and Philly wasn't willing to go that high. It's pretty obvious Johnny wanted Philly and they tried to clear space, they just failed. 

On 7/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, nfreeman said:

I feel like I've been hearing about the clever cap-driven moves the Sabres are going to make since the Larry Quinn days.  I'll believe another team's cap woes will deliver a good player unto the Sabres when I see it.

I think you're right, but there are definitely deals to be made this time. Adams might feel he's in the drivers seat though and is making demands too high to be met. Might see a lowered compromise closer to the season. He might also make up his mind after seeing what he has ready in development camp. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't doubt if Adams held fast to wanting Philly's 1st next year to take him and Philly wasn't willing to go that high. It's pretty obvious Johnny wanted Philly and they tried to clear space, they just failed. 

I think you're right, but there are definitely deals to be made this time. Adams might feel he's in the drivers seat though and is making demands too high to be met. Might see a lowered compromise closer to the season. He might also make up his mind after seeing what he has ready in development camp. 

Per Friedman this is absolutely correct. Teams wanted the Philly 2023 1st, Philly was offering Florida’s 2024 1st instead.  So no deal. 

Jeff Marek also speculated that The Flyers realized they were 40 points out of the playoffs and that Gaudreau wasn’t making up the difference. 

Although signing Risto and DeAngelo to contracts worth of 10 Million AAV, isn’t going to either. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Friedman this is absolutely correct. Teams wanted the Philly 2023 1st, Philly was offering Florida’s 2024 1st instead.  So no deal. 

Jeff Marek also speculated that The Flyers realized they were 40 points out of the playoffs and that Gaudreau wasn’t making up the difference. 

Although signing Risto and DeAngelo to contracts worth of 10 Million AAV, isn’t going to either. 

Also Chuck Fletcher, is the worst version of Jim Benning.   He's going to destroy Philadelphia's cap for the next 3-5 years.   I love it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be willing to take on a hard line defensive center like Jason Dickinson from Vancouver for a pick added on.  Someone who can alleviate, but actually can do more than what Eakin did.  He's had a season and a half of disappointment in Vancouver, but he looked promising in Dallas before that trade.  He's making 2.6 over the next few seasons.  

On 7/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, matter2003 said:

I don't trust Miller who performed 27 points better than his previous high to repeat that again. 

Most likely he just posted his career best stat line, they are going to ask a lot for him...some team is going to be suckered into "buying at the peak"

I don't see us in on miller.  If we were in the mix at the deadline? Maybe?  But even then its going to cost a high value prospect (krebs or cozens) and picks.  

I will be pretty surprised if a cap move delivers to the Sabres a F who is good enough for KA to want to take ice time away from the guys in their projected top 12 -- i.e. I think KA would only bring in a F -- in a cap move or any other kind of transaction -- who was an undeniable, extremely compelling player.

I think if it happens, it's much more likely to deliver a Dman to the Sabres than a F.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I will be pretty surprised if a cap move delivers to the Sabres a F who is good enough for KA to want to take ice time away from the guys in their projected top 12 -- i.e. I think KA would only bring in a F -- in a cap move or any other kind of transaction -- who was an undeniable, extremely compelling player.

I think if it happens, it's much more likely to deliver a Dman to the Sabres than a F.

I agree with this.

I think the Sabres would happily add a "real" veteran NHL defenceman in a cap dump.

But if it's a forward, he's more likely to be flipped or bought out.

Not that a Compher type would be rejected outright, but I don't know that they'll pursue that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/15/2022 at 12:39 PM, thewookie1 said:

Well that's false seeing as Buffalo was involved in both Murray and JVR

I truly believe Ottawa used the Sabres as leverage for Murray, I think they 100 percent knew that Murray would not accept and that got Chicago moving so Ottawa can get DeBrincat.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I truly believe Ottawa used the Sabres as leverage for Murray, I think they 100 percent knew that Murray would not accept and that got Chicago moving so Ottawa can get DeBrincat.

Pretty sure Dorion said the Debrincat deal was happening regardless of the Murray deal.

Apparently it was pick 16 and prospect, rather than pick 7.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Pretty sure Dorion said the Debrincat deal was happening regardless of the Murray deal.

Apparently it was pick 16 and prospect, rather than pick 7.

Ahhh I didn't realize that pick 7 was out of that deal I thought it was so that had me thinking 100 percent leverage.

I went and looked at the teams at or over the cap and most seem to be able to get under the cap when players move to LTIR.  LV may still have an issue with only 16 players under contract and Florida also seems to need to dump a few million.  

I do wonder if there is an opportunity to upgrade Bjork.  I’m also still interested in giving Stralman a contract if he is interested for added depth on D.  I still think we need more veteran leadership on the backend and don’t think our depth of Fitz, Clague and Pilut are good enough if someone important gets injured.

I’m kind of shocked by how many older but really good hockey players are still UFA besides Kadri and Klingberg.  Stralman, Subban, Kessel, Bergeron, DeKeyser, DeHaan, Neiderreiter, and Statsny all probably have good hockey left in them especially Neiderreiter. Erod and Farrance are also still unsigned and Erod had 40 points last year.

I also wonder if KA made the right deals to upgrade Fitz/Clague/Pilut and or Bjork, would he make Bishops’ contract available to the highest bidder.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 7/18/2022 at 12:34 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I went and looked at the teams at or over the cap and most seem to be able to get under the cap when players move to LTIR.  LV may still have an issue with only 16 players under contract and Florida also seems to need to dump a few million.  

I do wonder if there is an opportunity to upgrade Bjork.  I’m also still interested in giving Stralman a contract if he is interested for added depth on D.  I still think we need more veteran leadership on the backend and don’t think our depth of Fitz, Clague and Pilut are good enough if someone important gets injured.

I’m kind of shocked by how many older but really good hockey players are still UFA besides Kadri and Klingberg.  Stralman, Subban, Kessel, Bergeron, DeKeyser, DeHaan, Neiderreiter, and Statsny all probably have good hockey left in them especially Neiderreiter. Erod and Farrance are also still unsigned and Erod had 40 points last year.

I also wonder if KA made the right deals to upgrade Fitz/Clague/Pilut and or Bjork, would he make Bishops’ contract available to the highest bidder.

Statsny on a one year deal with a slight overpay with the promise they will flip Him to a contender with 50% Retained at the TDL would be a good move. 

Defense Depth is tricky, any good defenseman that would be a fill in for the Top Six probably doesn’t want to be in a press box rotation as the young players will get ice time over them.

With Bishop’s Contract actually only costing 700k in real money, I imagine they keep it to maximize flexibility at the TDL 

Also teams now in the Tkachuk Sweepstakes will probably need to dump some salary.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Also teams now in the Tkachuk Sweepstakes will probably need to dump some salary.

Unless it's somebody like Anaheim (or Buffalo) this might be the understatement of the year. There aren't any good teams with anywhere near the cap space they'd need. 

If I was KA I'd also be calling Boston. Try to get Carlo off of them so they can have Pasternak signing room. Or, if they want to throw us some nice sweeteners take one of their underperforming players like Craig Smith for a year. They have a bunch of players who will be UFAs in another year. 

Some UFAs left who want decent money:

Kadri, Klingberg, Niederreiter, Kessel.

Lots of unsigned RFAs. Quite a few teams tight against the cap.

C’mon KA, get some assets by weaponizing that cap.

Philly’s first for taking Van Riemsdyk would have been nice, a lottery pick. That is probably why they balked and gave up on Gaudreau.

Someone will crack sooner or later, they are that one piece away from winning.

So lets assume for arguments sake that somebody good shakes loose from a team making a bigger deal and or trying to get to the cap ceiling.  Which player in the Sabres lineup do you want to dump to add that player?

On defense Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson and newly signed Lyubushkin are written in stone.  Are you dumping Bryson or Jokiharju? 

At forward, are you replacing the team's best defensive forward (Asplund) or the most physical forward to accommodate an acquisition? Or do you think one of the rookies needs to be sent down?  Other that these 4 guys I don't think anyone else is vulnerable.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So lets assume for arguments sake that somebody good shakes loose from a team making a bigger deal and or trying to get to the cap ceiling.  Which player in the Sabres lineup do you want to dump to add that player?

On defense Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson and newly signed Lyubushkin are written in stone.  Are you dumping Bryson or Jokiharju? 

At forward, are you replacing the team's best defensive forward (Asplund) or the most physical forward to accommodate an acquisition? Or do you think one of the rookies needs to be sent down?  Other that these 4 guys I don't think anyone else is vulnerable.  

If a good player shakes loose then you let the competition at camp determine the pecking order. KA must then decide to trade a Bjork/Bryson/Fitzgerald. Hinestroza may have to go. I like the team but you can’t fall in love with all of the players.

Adding talent, especially for free, will make the lineup better.

If it is a cap dump then they can waive the player or retain half and move him on.

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When did improving the team become such a gnashing-of-teeth occurance?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.