Plenty of teams need to shed salary before season start

ddaryl

Caps have guys they can put on LTIR.  Vegas has weber. Tampa will do something weird to get under. 

Florida will need to do something though.  Philly is floating JVR (expiring on a 7M deal and they want assets) and Provorov (LHD we dont need).  Vancouver seems set to move JT miller (expiring on a reasonable deal, but coming off a 99pt year thats going to cost buffalo more than a mittelstadt). 

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I feel like I've been hearing about the clever cap-driven moves the Sabres are going to make since the Larry Quinn days.  I'll believe another team's cap woes will deliver a good player unto the Sabres when I see it.

Well, the Quinny cap space moves were shot to #### when HRR revenues in '05-'06 were far ahead of the early $1.8B projections upon which the '06-'07 cap would be based upon thus rendering officially just how stupid not signing any contracts over 1 season (except for ELCs which were required to be longer) in the previous summer was removing any uncertainty that may have existed regarding the stupidity of that strategy.  Because nobody was being forced to buy out/ trade players cheaply which was the basis of Larry's strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, the Quinny cap space moves were shot to #### when HRR revenues in '05-'06 were far ahead of the early $1.8B projections upon which the '06-'07 cap would be based upon thus rendering officially just how stupid not signing any contracts over 1 season (except for ELCs which were required to be longer) in the previous summer was removing any uncertainty that may have existed regarding the stupidity of that strategy.  Because nobody was being forced to buy out/ trade players cheaply which was the basis of Larry's strategy.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that we're due for another spike in HRR, now that all of the arenas will be open for the whole year again.

I don't think the Sabres need to be the rest of the league's dumping ground.  Other teams can trade actual players if they need cap space.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If I had to guess, I'd guess that we're due for another spike in HRR, now that all of the arenas will be open for the whole year again.

I don't think the Sabres need to be the rest of the league's dumping ground.  Other teams can trade actual players if they need cap space.

HRR will start to spike back, but the cap won't in the ST because players are still paying back their overpayment from the lockdown period.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

Caps have guys they can put on LTIR.  Vegas has weber. Tampa will do something weird to get under. 

These teams can do this, but I believe they can only do this after the season has started. They will need to get below the cap prior to the season’s start. 

I thought those kind of moves would have happened already.  Yes they don’t have to the cap until the start of the season but where are the Sabres going to play any acquired players?  Rochester? 

I’m not a fan of Butcher type moves.  I only want players that make us better at this point.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Maybe one of the salary sheds will be a veteran goalie?  A RHD?  To be clear, I am fine with the Comrie and "Boosh" signings (we've got Boosh!), but adding 1 more veteran goalie and/or RHD might not be a bad thing.  If Adams does NOT want to do this, because he wants the young guys to play, gain experiecne, and grow together as a group, I am entirely fine with it, but if they want to bolster the roster a bit wtih some veteran talent and it fits in with the plan, I'd be good with that too.

4 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Florida will need to do something though.  Philly is floating JVR (expiring on a 7M deal and they want assets) and Provorov (LHD we dont need).  Vancouver seems set to move JT miller (expiring on a reasonable deal, but coming off a 99pt year thats going to cost buffalo more than a mittelstadt). 

I don't trust Miller who performed 27 points better than his previous high to repeat that again. 

Most likely he just posted his career best stat line, they are going to ask a lot for him...some team is going to be suckered into "buying at the peak"

Edited by matter2003
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I have to agree.

I don't see salary dump moves coming via the Sabres way.

This team had horrid attendance last year, I'm sure the order was to spend TO the floor and that is it.

Well that's false seeing as Buffalo was involved in both Murray and JVR

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.