Sabres Sign UFA D-Man. Update the Sabres Bought Him A Printer

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m at work right now with 3 people under the age of 30, only one has a printer. 

The other two do not see a need for one 

I'm 46 and think 99.9% printers are a complete waste. I'm not an eco guy either... But they're a remnant of the old world. At work, there's a generational divide, those that print and those that don't. As a 46yo, I'm happy to be on the young side.

40 minutes ago, MBD said:

There's a difference between not needing a printer and not being able to afford one.

This is the point here. They said the word afford. They didn’t say they didn’t have one because they didn’t need it.

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is the point here. They said the word afford. They didn’t say they didn’t have one because they didn’t need it.

It was a Lance Lysowski tweet of something one of Davies' friends apparently posted.  Was laughing at him having to "run" to Staples (per Lance) to sign his contract.  

He's played 20 some NHL games & 3 years of AHL hockey.  Does anybody HONESTLY think the kid can't AFFORD a printer?

I can afford a lot of things but I don't have them because 1) I can't afford ALL the things, and 2) even though I can afford it, the cost of acquisition greatly exceeds the need of the item.  I think to Davies the printer falls under 2 and he might not feel it's worth it to buy one so he says he can't afford it. 

Another thought is perhaps most of his money earned so far has gone into investment and that he lives on a fairly modest "allowance" out of his earnings, so for the money they have in their living expenses account, they don't have an extra $100 this week.  According to Puckepedia, he's earned $3,350,000 in his career.  Maybe he's living on a $100k annual allowance and has nearly $3 million invested by a financial advisor.

I believe the tweet was made by his girlfriend.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I can afford a lot of things but I don't have them because 1) I can't afford ALL the things, and 2) even though I can afford it, the cost of acquisition greatly exceeds the need of the item.  I think to Davies the printer falls under 2 and he might not feel it's worth it to buy one so he says he can't afford it. 

Another thought is perhaps most of his money earned so far has gone into investment and that he lives on a fairly modest "allowance" out of his earnings, so for the money they have in their living expenses account, they don't have an extra $100 this week.  According to Puckepedia, he's earned $3,350,000 in his career.  Maybe he's living on a $100k annual allowance and has $3 million invested by a financial advisor.

Pretty sure you're right upon closer inspection.

Guessing SHE thought it was funny too.  😉

Oh that part I believe.  I thought you were talking about the whole comment.

(The bold didn't make it above the cut line.)

I don't know why people quote a whole comment when they are responding to just a single line.  Because the forum SW cuts off long comments when they're quoted, if you bold something that bolded part may be hidden.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It was a Lance Lysowski tweet of something one of Davies' friends apparently posted.  Was laughing at him having to "run" to Staples (per Lance) to sign his contract.  

He's played 20 some NHL games & 3 years of AHL hockey.  Does anybody HONESTLY think the kid can't AFFORD a printer?

You can work at a minimum wage job and still afford a printer.  Why his GF had to say "can't afford" is the real question. 

3 minutes ago, MBD said:

You can work at a minimum wage job and still afford a printer.  Why his GF had to say "can't afford" is the real question. 

I just made a comment about where that might have come from

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Another thought is perhaps most of his money earned so far has gone into investment and that he lives on a fairly modest "allowance" out of his earnings, so for the money they have in their living expenses account, they don't have an extra $100 this week.  According to Puckepedia, he's earned $3,350,000 in his career.  Maybe he's living on a $100k annual allowance and has nearly $3 million invested by a financial advisor.

You can definitely tell that we are in the middle of summer, when there’s a debate about an AHL guy and whether or not he can “afford” a printer. 

My guess: he’s only ever seen fancy expensive printers inside very nice offices, and assumes that they are all expensive. 

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You can definitely tell that we are in the middle of summer, when there’s a debate about an AHL guy and whether or not he can “afford” a printer. 

My guess: he’s only ever seen fancy expensive printers inside very nice offices, and assumes that they are all expensive. 

My guess, he moves around a lot and doesn’t want to carry a printer which barely gets used.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Which is nullified by the gfs usage of “can’t afford.” 

And maybe he just told her that because she really desperately wants one & he was afraid she'd buy it before he had a chance to get it for her birthday; romantic that he is. 😉

She made an exaggeration for a joke.  It happens.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

Have you guys really not joked about "Geez, can't you afford a <thing>?"

Yes.  But when making fun of others (i.e. the "you" in the above) and never when talking about myself, much less for something that is easily affordable.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And maybe he just told her that because she really desperately wants one & he was afraid she'd buy it before he had a chance to get it for her birthday; romantic that he is. 😉

She made an exaggeration for a joke.  It happens.

Doesn’t everyone’s gf desperately want a printer for their bday? 

16 hours ago, kas23 said:

I can afford hundreds of printer, but don’t own one. Buying ink is always a pain in the butt and runs out at the worse times. I just use the one at work for stuff, which is definitely a much more expensive than I would ever buy. 

That funny. My office printer (Epson) is hot junk while my home cheapo HP keeps working.

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Sign UFA D-Man. Update the Sabres Bought Him A Printer

I am almost 64 and I don’t see the need for a home printer but my wife does, so we have one. It’s a Bluetooth wireless printer and it comes in handy at times.

Still, I don't let her store it in my home office.  It’s in a spare bedroom with her other stuff that we hardly ever use.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.