Sabres Sign UFA Defenseman Kale Clague

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Drafted 2016, league age 18.

First NHL game in Dec 2019, against the Sabres, actually, league age 21.

BUT has played only 58 games.  So I think he is waiver-exempt for the next 22 games that HE plays. 

@spndnchz please check my math and process.

CapFriendly says he must clear waivers because he has already been a pro 5 seasons

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

So, this was my source, and again, my process could be completely off:  https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

This is from your article.

The following table from the current CBA indicates when a player is no longer exempt from waivers. For example, a skater who signs his entry-level contract at 18 will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after five seasons (whichever comes first).

• Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

CapFriendly says he must clear waivers because he has already been a pro 5 seasons

Actually, this is his 5th pro season, but 19 YO's (per Puckapedia his age when he signed) are only waiver exempt for 4 seasons.

So, he has to clear waivers to be an Amerk.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is from your article.

The following table from the current CBA indicates when a player is no longer exempt from waivers. For example, a skater who signs his entry-level contract at 18 will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after five seasons (whichever comes first).

But he hasn't played five seasons, and I don't know when he signed his contract.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But he hasn't played five seasons, and I don't know when he signed his contract.

Again, according to Puckipedia (formerly NHL Numbers), he signed at age 19.  So, he's waiver exempt for 4 years (could've dropped to 3 had he played enough NHL games as a 19 yo - spoiler alert, he didn't).  His 1st pro year was '18-'19 so he's played his 4 years and now will have to clear waivers to be sent down moving forward.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Again, according to Puckipedia (formerly NHL Numbers), he signed at age 19.  So, he's waiver exempt for 4 years (could've dropped to 3 had he played enough NHL games as a 19 yo - spoiler alert, he didn't).  His 1st pro year was '18-'19 so he's played his 4 years and now will have to clear waivers to be sent down moving forward.

Look, buddy, I think we both know about your anti-kale agenda and where you can shove it.  Romaine will NEVER be kale, ok?  NEVER.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Look, buddy, I think we both know about your anti-kale agenda and where you can shove it.  Romaine will NEVER be kale, ok?  NEVER.

Alrighty then.

Thought it was Woody Boyd stocking up on Veggie Boy, but maybe you beat him to it? 

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Alrighty then.

Thought it was Woody Boyd stocking up on Veggie Boy, but maybe you beat him to it? 

I know most Cheers references but I'm having trouble with this one.  Even with googling it.

That's ok.  I know where you stand.  And also where you live.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I know most Cheers references but I'm having trouble with this one.  Even with googling it.

That's ok.  I know where you stand.  And also where you live.

Here's the full recap of the episode.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0539922/

And here's him filming the commercial. 

Couldn't find a clip of him buying it all up after getting hypnotized.  Sorry.

• SDS unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Clague actually became a Hab when the Kings waived him last year.

I don’t remember it, but he was 2-time World Junior player for team Canada.

Probably whyI recognized the name.

Just shows how really good of a player you must be to even make a roster for even a couple of seasons.  The kid put up 71 points his final Jr season, represented Canada multiple times as a Jr.  Was a 2nd rd draft pick in the NHL but even a guy this talented can't hold onto an NHL roster spot.

If I had to guess why, he has never fully embraced the defensive aspects of his position.  

On 7/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just shows how really good of a player you must be to even make a roster for even a couple of seasons.  The kid put up 71 points his final Jr season, represented Canada multiple times as a Jr.  Was a 2nd rd draft pick in the NHL but even a guy this talented can't hold onto an NHL roster spot.

If I had to guess why, he has never fully embraced the defensive aspects of his position.  

71 points in just 54 games in his last year of junior. 

And he’s been pretty productive as an AHLer: 66 points in 124 games.

He actually was an NHLer last year - only 5 AHL games - but spent a lot of time in the press box.

Upon closer inspection, I’m going to say he’s probably on par with Pilut and Fitzgerald in the battle for D7 and will probably see time in Buffalo this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.