Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure if this was discussed but The Jets actually offered Him more money to stay, but He wanted the opportunity to start 

His Dad is worth $500m, money isn't an issue. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hasek-STat-Line.jpg

Here's the Dominator's stat line right before the Sabres acquired him in a trade. 25 games played in the NHL. 27 years old. .863 save% 2.60 GAA.

0.893.  Not 0.863.  At a time when the league was MUCH different.  And as explained, that 2.60 was one of the absolute best in the entire NHL.

13 hours ago, Derrico said:

I’ve now read two Hasek and a Poyer reference.

Well, at least one of the Hasek references is to demonstrate that GP is meaningless (especially when the goalie is stuck behind a star, as Hasek was and Comrie was) and nothing more.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Comrie gets a little less work like 35 games and think UPL starts 25-30 and the rest going to Anderson. 

Could be, but I don’t think that is the plan. Performance and health are obviously factors. Going back to his junior days, Comrie has had 5 seasons in his career where he has played 40+ games; Luukkonen has had two such seasons. 

I think they see Comrie as a guy who is ready to take the next step and that the only thing that has prevented him from doing so earlier is playing behind a Vezina level goalie. 

Who knows how it plays out, but my guess is the plan would be for Comrie to start 45+, Anderson the rest with Luukkonen coming up when needed. 

I know people don’t like Tokarski as a goalie, but I wish we had retained him over Subban. Tokarski is simply better. Maybe he was not interested in being an org#4. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Why are people comparing a NFL player to a NHL goalie? 

I think it's the Tre White factor, and it has to do with defensive backs and goalies. Not sure what it all means. 

Still like this signing better than the Anderson signing, I don't think they need a 41 year old goalie who's best playing days are in the past.

Comrie is a textbook case of a goalie who appears to have the stuff to be a starter, but hasn't had an opportunity yet. These are exactly the moves you have to hit on as a GM if you want your team to break through, and KA went for it.

The fact that people have already made up their minds about him shows, IMO, a real lack of real-world understanding of how teams get built. You think an established Vezina contender is just going to fall into our lap? You think such a FA goalie will pick Buffalo out of all the offers they get? You think other teams are trading their Vezina contenders for something expendable we have to offer? This is the ideal move for this team right now, as it doesn't make-or-break us in the short-term, but could yield enormous dividends.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Comrie gets a little less work like 35 games and think UPL starts 25-30 and the rest going to Anderson. 

Very optimistic for a guy(UPL) who hasn’t even proven himself at the AHL level. 

Edited by LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Very optimistic for a guy(UPL) who hasn’t even proven himself at the AHL level. 

You need to get him to current Comrie level of experience somehow.

Ideally you want a tandem that is split something like 50/30.  Anderson probably can't handle 30 and Comrie may not be ready for 50.  You will need to relieve them with the best 3rd goalie you've got (be it 6K or Subban).

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You need to get him to current Comrie level of experience somehow.

Ideally you want a tandem that is split something like 50/30.  Anderson probably can't handle 30 and Comrie may not be ready for 50.  You will need to relieve them with the best 3rd goalie you've got (be it 6K or Subban).

UPL can get a call up and then return to Rochester without going through Waivers ?

I could see 35/25/22  kind of split between the 3.

Would really like to understand better why he couldn't / didn't stick in his other stops outside of Winnipeg.

By the time Adams got him, he looks like the best remaining option out there (presuming Quick doesn't move) but still would like to have seen Adams get something done sooner.  Though if Adams wasn't going to get anybody else had he landed Murray, prefer Comrie to just him & Anderson.

Hope the analytics guys are right.  If they are & he stays healthy, can see the floor as 90 points.  Not great, but nearly 10 points better than anything else in the last 10 years.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Seems like unheralded over-25 goalies suddenly get an opportunity and break out almost every year.

Binnington, Husso, Kuemper, Talbot, Campbell...

Why not Comrie? We can always dream.

25-26 seems to be the sweet spot where most goalies’ talent and mental maturity catch up to each other and they take off. That is why it is such a crapshoot drafting goalies at 18.

Comrie is a roll of the dice but one worth taking. He has a real chance to take the net and run with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why?  They're not playing games right now.

Because there were more & seemingly better options available.  Look, Comrie MAY be the answer.  He wouldn't be the 1st backup given an opportunity to seize it and he won't be the last either.  But there is still a lot of question marks there.  IMHO, why he couldn't take the reins in any of his other 3 stops besides Winnipeg being a major one but one that the Sabres feel they know well enough and are OK w/ the answer.

And if the Sabres had Comrie, Murray, and Anderson or Husso instead would be much more confident that GTing WILL improve, not just should improve.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.