Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

This better be an emergency type goalie in case Anderson gets hurt 

This better not be the starter

Why? For goalies who played a minimum of 15 games last year, Comrie was 2nd in the NHL to the Rangers Shesterkin at goals saved above expected per 60 minutes. Compared to the trash we had on our team last year ranking 51st for Anderson and 57th for Tokarski out of 67 this is a huge upgrade regardless of small sample size.

Do some research before posting nonsensical drivel.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Who was the bonafide guy that wasn't going to cost a serious asset(s) that was an actual realistic option (aka Campbell was not coming here)?

Instead of tossing a swap of 3rd rounders in the Eichel trade and have some fore thought. That could have used that could use if want a RFA like Jake Oettinger. This team can afford to trade a 1st or more picks considering we just had three 1st Rounders last week and a few more young kids developing. I'm tired of waiting for unearthing another Miller.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Adams is using the Brandon Beane playbook. Shed the overpriced "star" players from the past who couldn't get the job done.  Draft and develop from within.  Make smart and reasonable Free Agent signings.  When the team gets to the level that it is ready to compete for a championship, THEN make the big spash acquisition.  Perhaps in 1-2 years, the Sabres will be ready to sign their version of Von Miller.

Comparing the Sabres to the Bills, I see the Comrie signing as similar to the Jordan Poyer signing.  An under-the-radar signing of a quality guy with upside who wasn't a key player in his previous organization, but fits in well with what Buffalo is trying to do.

Lmao.  Jordan Poyer is a pro bowl safety.  This goalie is 27 and less than 30 nhl games to his name.  There is no comparison.  I’m just shocked by how optimistic this thread reads.  Hope you guys are right. 

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Lmao.  Jordan Poyer is a pro bowl safety.  This goalie is 27 and less than 30 nhl games to his name.  There is no comparison.  I’m just shocked by how optimistic this thread reads.  Hope you guys are right. 

I think it was more a comparison to how Poyer seemingly came out of nowhere (10 starts in his first 4 seasons with Philly and Cleveland) and immediately became a mainstay starting safety with the Bills, not Poyer today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why? For goalies who played a minimum of 15 games last year, Comrie was 2nd in the NHL to the Rangers Shesterkin at goals saved above expected per 60 minutes. Compared to the trash we had on our team last year ranking 51st for Anderson and 57th for Tokarski out of 67 this is a huge upgrade regardless of small sample size.

Do some research before posting nonsensical drivel.

Yeah guy maybe I wanna see the playoffs again before I die.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Another player who wants to be here.  Weird, huh?

And definitely not an overpay for a potential starting goalie. If he has a good 40-game season this year and then he's a consensus 1B-caliber goalie next offseason, this is an incredibly good signing. If he flounders, it's not a big term and it also won't prevent the RFA extensions needed for the core. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah guy maybe I wanna see the playoffs again before I die.

Well I've got news for you, no matter who they signed this year they probably weren't getting there so I guess you'll need to see how he performs as a regular first before you dismiss him out of hand.

Wonder if you did the same thing with Hasek when they trade for him. Not comparing him to Hasek at all, but just saying... don't dismiss someone out of hand when they performed well in a more limited role.

There is a chance he might not be able to handle a bigger role, but there is also a chance he might be able to.

And I don't want to hear the Carter Hutton comparison...Hutton was at the end of his prime when he got here Comrie is 27 and just entering his.

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Well I've got news for you, no matter who they signed this year they probably weren't getting there so I guess you'll need to see how he performs as a regular first before you dismiss him out of hand.

Wonder if you did the same thing with Hasek when they trade for him. Not comparing him to Hasek at all, but just saying... don't dismiss someone out of hand when they performed well in a more limited role.

There is a chance he might not be able to handle a bigger role, but there is also a chance he might be able to.

And I don't want to hear the Carter Hutton comparison...Hutton was at the end of his prime when he got here Comrie is 27 and just entering his.

You lost me at Carter Hutton and prime.

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

You lost me at Carter Hutton and prime.

I am talking about in terms of when to expect a statistical drop off and/or his abilities decreasing. Sabres basically got him right in the prime when they could have expected his stats to fall off a cliff and to nobody's surprise they did.

Edited by matter2003

I like this move. I'd rather make a play for a backup who hasn't had his shot yet opposed to someone whose floated around the league for the past 12 years who is hot then cold then hot then cold. Every season there's a handful of goalies who seemingly come out of nowhere and catch fire in a bottle. The Sabres are due for this.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.