Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don’t think we see any big swings at outside additions, GT or otherwise, until Levi’s arrival. I do think we are on the Levi timeline 

Agreed but JFC goalies take awhile to develop.  It may be 3 more years before Levi is ready.  Plus we’re putting a ton of faith in a (albeit great looking) prospect.  That’s a lot of magic beans and hoping for one of the most important positions in hockey.  

I’ll hope for the best but this is the third straight offseason KA has reached for the bottom of the barrel in net.  I’ll believe we have an nhl goaltender when I actually see someone in net who is even an average quality nhl starter. 

• Agree 2

I wouldn’t sell this guy too short.  I think he has a shot to be a decent starter.  He was a 2nd round pick and well regarded prospect who has been brought along slowly.  Winnipeg never had a reason to rush him because they had Hellybuck.  He has had gradually improving performance in the AHL.  He broke into the NHL and played well as a backup last season at age 26.  That’s not old for a goalie.  I could see a Comrie/Anderson platoon with some UPL sprinkled in being pretty good.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

"Average" could be an improvement for us!

Average absolutely would be.  Don’t know how a 28 game sample size over several years can instill confidence that he is even average.  Bah.  Maybe I’m just getting old and crabby today. 

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Average absolutely would be.  Don’t know how a 28 game sample size over several years can instill confidence that he is even average.  Bah.  Maybe I’m just getting old and crabby today. 

His 19 games last year give us hope that he is average.

Just now, Curt said:

I wouldn’t sell this guy too short.  I think he has a shot to be a decent starter.  He was a 2nd round pick and well regarded prospect who has been brought along slowly.  Winnipeg never had a reason to rush him because they had Hellybuck.  He has had gradually improving performance in the AHL.  He broke into the NHL and played well as a backup last season at age 26.  That’s not old for a goalie.  I could see a Comrie/Anderson platoon with some UPL sprinkled in being pretty good.

And if he was our backup then perfect I’m all for the hope machine.  But it’s him or Anderson starting?  Yikes.  I’m sure that instills a ton of confidence in this young developing core.  When is winning going to start mattering again?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Derrico said:

Agreed but JFC goalies take awhile to develop.  It may be 3 more years before Levi is ready.  Plus we’re putting a ton of faith in a (albeit great looking) prospect.  That’s a lot of magic beans and hoping for one of the most important positions in hockey.  

I’ll hope for the best but this is the third straight offseason KA has reached for the bottom of the barrel in net.  I’ll believe we have an nhl goaltender when I actually see someone in net who is even an average quality nhl starter. 

Ya I hear you def. 

I agree on the magic beans thing but that’s part of the reason I think KA is being so careful with the cap. I do believe he’d take a big swing at an outside tendy once/should Levi prove inadequate. I think that’d be go time for proactive* action, but not before then 

*By that I mean aiming well above the “bottom of the barrel” you referred to 

I would have much preferred an established, “good” goalie for now, like you. Maybe it’s cause of the barren wasteland GT was before Comrie, but the signing at least feels satisfying to me.

Maybe it’s just cause our avg GT age now, between Anderson and Comrie, after signing someone pretty young, is only like 47 now

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

And if he was our backup then perfect I’m all for the hope machine.  But it’s him or Anderson starting?  Yikes.  I’m sure that instills a ton of confidence in this young developing core.  When is winning going to start mattering again?

You sound very much like me, I have the same concerns. This is another area where I disagree w/Adams, but at least re: last season, it’s 1-0 Adams on that one: the kids didn’t appear to be disenfranchised by the poor record and GT, perhaps that can continue. Adams definitely believes it. Harder to doubt that after last season.

I don’t think the young players will keep that mindset indefinitely, though. Comrie playing well would be real nice and helpful. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm not so crazy about converting career backups to the starter via free agency, but there really weren't any options here.  I think he should have a talented enough blue line in front of him to help out quite a bit.

Such an interesting take. All goalies are backups when they start. And 27 isn't exactly a career.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Good for 25 games or so, definitely not a starter.

I would have loved to see him back with the Jets but they didn't play him in enough games so he became an UFA...dumb frickin move by the Jets.

Seems like a dumb move by the Jets.

Hopefully he helps enough for this team to progress up the standings.  Gotta be better than Toker and Dell. 

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

You imply that winning doesn't matter to this team, I think that is false and has been shown to be false by how this team acts to adversity especially at the end of the season. The Toronto outdoor game, won. The Eichel revenge game, won. RJ night, won. RJ's last call, won.

For a team where winning doesn't matter, they sure show up in big moments and make sure they win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Derrico said:

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You sound very much like me, I have the same concerns. This is another area where I disagree w/Adams, but at least re: last season, it’s 1-0 Adams on that one: the kids didn’t appear to be disenfranchised by the poor record and GT, perhaps that can continue. Adams definitely believes it. Harder to doubt that after last season.

I don’t think the young players will keep that mindset indefinitely, though. Comrie playing well would be real nice and helpful. 

Always assume failure. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You imply that winning doesn't matter to this team, I think that is false and has been shown to be false by how this team acts to adversity especially at the end of the season. The Toronto outdoor game, won. The Eichel revenge game, won. RJ night, won. RJ's last call, won.

For a team where winning doesn't matter, they sure show up in big moments and make sure they win.

I completely agree.  They have some battlers in that lineup.  That’s why they should be rewarded by bringing in a legit nhl goalie and let these kids compete. 

This team was better than Detroit last year and has more promise (imo) and they go out and make all the moves I wish the Sabres made. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Winnipeg is the one place where Buffalo is considered a step up.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

I completely agree.  They have some battlers in that lineup.  That’s why they should be rewarded by bringing in a legit nhl goalie and let these kids compete. 

This team was better than Detroit last year and has more promise (imo) and they go out and make all the moves I wish the Sabres made. 

Because Detroit had to. Buffalo has a depth to their system that Detroit doesn't and probably won't for a long time. They have to fill gaps via UFA.

Husso is their only move that I really wish was us. Copp I think came in at too high an avv.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Husso vs Comrie

Comrie has 19 games of good NHL play

Husso has 40 games of good NHL play

Its not that big a difference.  Husso is not significantly more proven than Comrie.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 4

Just now, Thorny said:

Nah, I have hope for Comrie and am board with our work so far this offseason

Tend to agree. I'm not disappointed at all with the off season. We're a young and promising team I believe and rebuilt our prospect pool. I am so far happy with our GM and management team. It's been ages since I've had any optimism in our management but I do now.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Radar said:

Tend to agree. I'm not disappointed at all with the off season. We're a young and promising team I believe and rebuilt our prospect pool. I am so far happy with our GM and management team. It's been ages since I've had any optimism in our management but I do now.

I always say, what matters is the results. Through the prism of Adams’ plan, last year the results were positive. We’ll see if that continues this year, but for now I more less table my “I disagree with the strategy” viewpoint, in favour of adjudging Adams’ work thus far adept within the confines of his strategy. I don’t know if it’ll begin to feel too lacking in urgency again, to me, but for now one simply has to admit it’s succeeding, by the parameters established by the plan makers, otherwise: what am I/anyone even doing? It would be clinging to bias when another route seems viable through the current perspective 

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Winnipeg is the one place where Buffalo is considered a step up.

Bet. 

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

When fans stop expecting something that takes 3-4 years, to happen in 2.  

Edited by 7+6=13
  • Like (+1) 2

Adams is using the Brandon Beane playbook. Shed the overpriced "star" players from the past who couldn't get the job done.  Draft and develop from within.  Make smart and reasonable Free Agent signings.  When the team gets to the level that it is ready to compete for a championship, THEN make the big spash acquisition.  Perhaps in 1-2 years, the Sabres will be ready to sign their version of Von Miller.

Comparing the Sabres to the Bills, I see the Comrie signing as similar to the Jordan Poyer signing.  An under-the-radar signing of a quality guy with upside who wasn't a key player in his previous organization, but fits in well with what Buffalo is trying to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

Adams is using the Brandon Beane playbook. Shed the overpriced "star" players from the past who couldn't get the job done.  Draft and develop from within.  Make smart and reasonable Free Agent signings.  When the team gets to the level that it is ready to compete for a championship, THEN make the big spash acquisition.  Perhaps in 1-2 years, the Sabres will be ready to sign their version of Von Miller.

Comparing the Sabres to the Bills, I see the Comrie signing as similar to the Jordan Poyer signing.  An under-the-radar signing of a quality guy with upside who wasn't a key player in his previous organization, but fits in well with what Buffalo is trying to do.

The problem is that draft picks take so much longer to develop in hockey.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Only improvement from the internal. 

I’d count Comrie in that. If he takes strides forward, the price we payed will not be reflective of that. He has upside, he’s alive and can play, and if he shows that upside on a consistent basis that’ll be a home cooked creation. 

Don’t think we see any big swings at outside additions, GT or otherwise, until Levi’s arrival. I do think we are on the Levi timeline 

High hanging fruit there. Glad he checks that box. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

2 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

The problem is that draft picks take so much longer to develop in hockey.

The other problem is, unlike in the NFL where cap unspent 1 year can carry over to the next, in the NHL any cap space a team has evaporates the day the playoffs start.  (Well, technically on whatever day bonuses earned are calculated, but for the most part it's all in the ether the day the Loafs prepare to face the team that'll send them to the golf course yet again.

There's a bunch of kids that'll be due raises right about the time you'd like to see that $10MM or so UFA brought in.  So, it'll be tricky fitting that guy in.  And if they haven't earned raises that big ticket guy won't want to be here anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.