Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

1 minute ago, nucci said:

expected by whom? Still doesn't tell you what kind of goalie he is. 

The average goalie. So basically you find league-wide where all of the goals on the ice were scored over how many shots were taken out of the location and then assign that specific location a value based on that. You can then take a shot chart for any goalie and put it against the league-wide average data. If a goaltender is letting in fewer goals than the average goalie would based on the shots he's faced, in theory, he's a better than average goaltender. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

The average goalie. So basically you find league-wide where all of the goals on the ice were scored over how many shots were taken out of the location and then assign that specific location a value based on that. You can then take a shot chart for any goalie and put it against the league-wide average data. If a goaltender is letting in fewer goals than the average goalie would based on the shots he's faced, in theory, he's a better than average goaltender. 

Can't a scout or GMs watch the guy play and determine if he's good or not?

Good for 25 games or so, definitely not a starter.

I would have loved to see him back with the Jets but they didn't play him in enough games so he became an UFA...dumb frickin move by the Jets.

Edited by Ducky
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, Ducky said:

Good for 25 games or so, definitely not a starter.

I would have loved to see him back with the Jets but they didn't play him in enough games so he became an UFA...dumb frickin move by the Jets.

Definitely seemed like more of an okay backup from my views of him here, too.

But he does have upside, perhaps with a little more run way that can be a good 35-40. 25-30 from Anderson. 

59 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Setting the bar real higher there, eh?  

I don't expect the Cup FInal, but this mentality of "we tried" is a low standard.  It's as if people are afraid to have expectations of success because it's safer to be a pessimist and just say I told ya so if it doesn't work out.  

I have the highest of expectations for this team. I expect every single player to take a large step forward this offseason. However, I don't expect us to be able to accomplish everything all at once. Being realistic is not being pessimistic even if sometimes those things seem to align.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Subban > Dell, Anderson </= Anderson, Comrie > Tokarski, and UPL >/= UPL ?

Same model as last year: 4 questionable maybes battling for the crease.

I guess we sorta, maybe got a little better? 😂

If Comrie breaks out and become a solid starter this is a great move.   He is at the right age, with some solid numbers in the NHL as a back up.   2 years x $1.8M is low risk.  

I suspect he is a step forward, we don’t know how big of a step until he gets a chance.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Definitely seemed like more of an okay backup from my views of him here, too.

But he does have upside, perhaps with a little more run way that can be a good 35-40. 25-30 from Anderson. 

I can see a plan were Anderson starts out the season as the #1 with Comrie taking on more and more games as he acclimates to the team.

I guess in a perfect world Anderson stays healthy and plays well and Comrie takes over #1 by December.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Does he though?  This guy has played all of…..28 career games?  And his competition is Anderson?  Wtf.

Only improvement from the internal. 

I’d count Comrie in that. If he takes strides forward, the price we payed will not be reflective of that. He has upside, he’s alive and can play, and if he shows that upside on a consistent basis that’ll be a home cooked creation. 

Don’t think we see any big swings at outside additions, GT or otherwise, until Levi’s arrival. I do think we are on the Levi timeline 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

This is alright.  He could provide decent starter level play.  Track record is lacking a bit but he was a well regarded prospect who seems to have taken some time to round into form, as young goalies often do.  He is going to be splitting time with Anderson and UPL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.