Sabres Sign UFA Defenseman Ilya Lyubushkin 2 Years 2.75 Million AAV

Brawndo

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I’m thinking “Loobie.”

Its gonna be Boosh

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t think the Sabres are paying him almost 3mil per, to be a 5-6-7 dman.  I expect mainly 2nd pair, PK minute muncher, and a guy who can be put out there to help protect a lead. 

Definitely signed to be a 4/5 — 17-18 minutes a night killing penalties and making D-zone starts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Its gonna be Boosh

Definitely signed to be a 4/5 — 17-18 minutes a night killing penalties and making D-zone starts.

I really don’t know how true this is in the short term. I don’t think we’ll see a ton of situational decisions, save for the power-play, until this team is actually rocking. Granato likes everyone to get experience at this point in the teams development.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Its gonna be Boosh

Am hoping that he's Power's primary partner w/ Jokiharju flipping w/ him when the Sabres need offense.  And, at his salary, am kind of expecting it.

If he can't handle it, then Joker slides back up; no harm, no foul.  But expect he can and that he'll be the Scandella to Power's Jokiharju.  That calming influence that can cover for the defensive lapses a rookie, even a very talented rookie, makes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am hoping that he's Power's primary partner w/ Jokiharju flipping w/ him when the Sabres need offense.  And, at his salary, am kind of expecting it.

If he can't handle it, then Joker slides back up; no harm, no foul.  But expect he can and that he'll be the Scandella to Power's Jokiharju.  That calming influence that can cover for the defensive lapses a rookie, even a very talented rookie, makes.

The Sabres like Henri a lot more than you do.

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes agreed but I think this gives them a top pair plus two relatively even 4-5, 5-6 pairings that can be interchangeable depending on circumstances... Seems to be what Adams prefers... flexibility and balance on lines.  

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres like Henri a lot more than you do.

They do seem to.

But they're paying this guy $150k more than they're paying Henri, so until Jokiharju is actually lining up next to Power on a regular basis, will hope he doesn't.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Any thoughts on this? Personally I don't like the dive job.

I don't think I've seen a player go to the dressing room on a dive before. Maybe just a freak thing when he went down after being sucker-punched.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I don't think I've seen a player go to the dressing room on a dive before. Maybe just a freak thing when he went down after being sucker-punched.

It appeared that he twisted himself into a bit of a pretzel there.  So, maybe self-inflicted as it were?

14 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It also sounds like a hearty meal a great grandmother made in the old country before she came to the states.

“When I was a boy, On cold winter days my Grandma made a warm pot of Lyubushkin and fresh bread.”

Ha! My grandma used to make me Umbergers with fries.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

This guy a a solid defensive dman. I think he is going to partner with most likely power so he can do his thing and still have some defense. He would be a waste as a 7th.we need the defensive game he brings and the size/grit. 

I like the idea you (and others) have proposed.  It's something that, if it clicks, could be a dynamic pairing.  

From my viewings of Power, he will be leading or joining the rush almost every shift. If Boosh meshes with him that will be a good pairing and give Power lots of leash.

This guy will challenge Joker to get better and push for ice time. If Joker is a better fit then Boosh locks down the third pairing and let’s Bryson roam.

Mule and Boosh may combine on the PK to form a solid #1 unit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

From my viewings of Power, he will be leading or joining the rush almost every shift. If Boosh meshes with him that will be a good pairing and give Power lots of leash.

This guy will challenge Joker to get better and push for ice time. If Joker is a better fit then Boosh locks down the third pairing and let’s Bryson roam.

Mule and Boosh may combine on the PK to form a solid #1 unit.

All I know is in games between the Sabres and Leafs last year, Lyubushkin was the only Dman who appeared to be playing defense.  The rest were pylons.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

All I know is in games between the Sabres and Leafs last year, Lyubushkin was the only Dman who appeared to be playing defense.  The rest were pylons.

Pylons. I love the Messier laugh when the guys yell “go Pylons”.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwimtfeRjvn4AhW0lWoFHehBBPwQwqsBegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF-YMqnzlcHk&usg=AOvVaw1kBSp34GstDW_wrw9L_exg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.