General Sabres FA discussion thread (f/k/a Random free agent posts)

Archie Lee

16 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Funny.  I was thinking the same thing.  I would rather have Peterka and even Quinn get top line minutes in Rochester until the inevitable happens and they come up and stay.  Meanwhile, a checking line including 3 of Hinostroza, Girgensons, Asplund, and Compher could drive other teams even battier than the LOG line did.

Talking about starting the year w/ Quinn &/or Peterka in Ra-cha-cha, wonder if anybody would be able to find easily/ readily how often the Sabres had less than 15 F's on the roster and only 8 D in the past 5 years?  Doubt it was more than a handful of games after the 10 game mark in any of those years.  So, there likely isn't much reason for a fear of locking them in Ra-cha-cha by adding F's that can legitimately play top 9/ bottom 6 to start the year w/ them in the A or having to send them back down later or losing an F later that they don't want to lose to the waiver wire.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Talking about starting the year w/ Quinn &/or Peterka in Ra-cha-cha, wonder if anybody would be able to find easily/ readily how often the Sabres had less than 15 F's on the roster and only 8 D in the past 5 years?  Doubt it was more than a handful of games after the 10 game mark in any of those years.  So, there likely isn't much reason for a fear of locking them in Ra-cha-cha by adding F's that can legitimately play top 9/ bottom 6 to start the year w/ them in the A or having to send them back down later or losing an F later that they don't want to lose to the waiver wire.

Yup.  I checked the projected line-up again.  I'm wrong.  Quinn and Peterka should be in Buffalo even if the Sabres get someone like Compher.

I can’t recall 1st-year pros having seasons like Jack and JJ had and not graduating.

(I also can’t remember 1st-year pros having seasons likeJack and JJ had, period, but that’s beside the point)

With all due respect to JT Compher, is he really going to be significantly better than those two?

On 7/16/2022 at 7:15 PM, dudacek said:

I can’t recall 1st-year pros having seasons like Jack and JJ had and not graduating.

(I also can’t remember 1st-year pros having seasons likeJack and JJ had, period, but that’s beside the point)

With all due respect to JT Compher, is he really going to be significantly better than those two?

Defensively. Absolutely.  Offensively? Probably not, but he add another young veteran with Cup winning playoff experience which we have none of on this roster.   

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Defensively. Absolutely.  Offensively? Probably not, but he add another young veteran with Cup winning playoff experience which we have none of on this roster.   

If the Sabres were trying to win the cup next year, I would totally agree with you. And there’s always room for a player like the one you’re speaking of. But since the Sabres are realistically resigned to another year of growth, I want the high ceiling offensive guys in the lineup next year. 

5 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If the Sabres were trying to win the cup next year, I would totally agree with you. And there’s always room for a player like the one you’re speaking of. But since the Sabres are realistically resigned to another year of growth, I want the high ceiling offensive guys in the lineup next year. 

I guess that depends on your point of view.  I see a team nearly ready to compete for a playoff spot with decent goaltending.  I think adding a player like Compher to improve the depth on this team could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs this year.  

One of the things the derailed us last year was injury.  Key players like Mitts, Z, VO, Samuelsson and Anderson all missed significant time or in VO's case playing through an injury that robbed him of his best asset.  KO stayed healthy for the first time if 4 years.  Right now our only adequate injury insurance is Hinostroza.  

• Like (+1) 1

One of the major major contributing factors, was talent. Especially so in net. A healthy Anderson would have won the Sabres maybe maybe two more games. Maybe three. And that’s being generous. The net was Swiss cheese most (keyword) games no matter who was in net With Anderson and Comrie, IF IF IF they both stay healthy, the goaltending isn’t Swiss cheese. It’s Havarti. Even with developing young guns. At least that’s how I see it. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess that depends on your point of view.  I see a team nearly ready to compete for a playoff spot with decent goaltending.  I think adding a player like Compher to improve the depth on this team could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs this year.  

One of the things the derailed us last year was injury.  Key players like Mitts, Z, VO, Samuelsson and Anderson all missed significant time or in VO's case playing through an injury that robbed him of his best asset.  KO stayed healthy for the first time if 4 years.  Right now our only adequate injury insurance is Hinostroza.  

I hope you’re right about the decent goaltending assessment!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.