General Sabres FA discussion thread (f/k/a Random free agent posts)

Archie Lee

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Happy “Total Mental BreakDown on a MessageBoard” Day!!😀

Fully expecting people wishing harm on Adams, screaming about the Pegulas and some vowing to give up the fandom altogether. 

Should make for some enjoyable reading.

I'll join in if we don't improve our goaltending situation today

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Happy “Total Mental BreakDown on a MessageBoard” Day!!😀

Fully expecting people wishing harm on Adams, screaming about the Pegulas and some vowing to give up the fandom altogether. 

Should make for some enjoyable reading.

Insert some sort of popcorn-eating gif

For the most part, the most successful teams in the NHL don't make splashy FA signings. Tampa built through the draft and acquiring prospects. Colorado did the same. The Rangers making the ECF this year is the exception, but they have to do this to remain relevant in that market. This is why I don't get upset at our lack of activity. I just want a goalie.

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

It does feel as if NHL GMs are getting a clue.  We’ll see after 12pm but I’d be surprised if there are as many bad contracts as in the past. 

Let's see how much Ottawa pays for 34yo Claude Giroux.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Well, someone will be the odd man out, if not this year, then in the future as we have a lot of forwards in the pipeline. 

Expecting this'll be the year when Asplund shows whether he's ready to assume Girgensons' role moving forward, that of the 4C, or as the forechecker on a scoring line.  Z has at most 1 more contract in him & tends to get injured frequently.  Pretty sure his job in the near future is Asplund's to lose.

And getting back to a more standard 3 years (or even 4) before bringing prospects up to the big club w/ a regular role will be a positive benefit of having a fully stocked pipeline once again.  And will have people outside Buffalo noticing that the kids pretty much plug & play into holes caused by losing cap casualties &/or injuries.  (Presuming the revamped scouting, analytics, & development departments all did/do their jobs well.  If they haven't, then Asplund & Z will both be here for the foreseeable future.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I will say this and then lay off, Adams has told us repeatedly he isn't going to do much so don't expect some massive signing or trade. That doesn't mean he is stupid, or doesn't want to win, or is writing off this year, or is tanking (Chicago is what a tank looks like). We have to sign Cozens, Samuelsson, Tage, and Asplund (who is really good most haven't noticed yet) to rfa deals as early as today but more likely before next season starts. Then, in 2024 we have to sign Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Krebs, Joker to new deals. So yes, this summer we could add a player or two but the issue is that will preclude you from being able to keep some of the aforementioned players especially when 2024 rolls around.

Sign a goalie (obviously) and sign a RHD. If you can find a decent upgrade at forward who isn't stupid expensive then sure, sign them. The issue is UFA is silly season where teams waste money and almost never get the value out of these contracts they need especially for the long term deals that the higher end guys want. Doesn't mean Adams doesn't care or is incompetent.

Agree totally.

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Then we are no worse then last year, and all the team itself showed growth and will continue to grow.

If we do nothing at all, notta, zip, zilcho, I still expect the sabres to be better than they were last year, and to show more growth.

Hopefully this is the case but our competition may have gotten better. Still not a fan of big free agent signing and history says it's not the way to go.

Frankly, after the Lyubushkin and Comrie signings I would consider this a successful off season if the Sabres were to use cap space and take on a bad contract for picks/prospects (in addition to the signing of RFAs and other smaller UFAs). I would absolutely take JVR off of Philly's hands for a protected first.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NAF said:

Frankly, after the Lyubushkin and Comrie signings I would consider this a successful off season if the Sabres were to use cap space and take on a bad contract for picks/prospects (in addition to the signing of RFAs and other smaller UFAs). I would absolutely take JVR off of Philly's hands for a protected first.

I fully expect a bad contract for a 1st or 2nd round pick type of deal to be coming down the pipe. Or perhaps an RFA that a team wants to move away from because of their contract (Puljujarvi?) who would come cheap. Should be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.