2022 NHL Free Agency Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

52 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I wouldn't predict the Sabres to make the playoffs this season, either. And certainly not until we see what training camp and injuries occur (and if the Bruins bring back Krejci and Bergeron at veteran minimum salaries because why not). I strongly believe the Sabres will be better than last season where they stunk for 3 months. I strongly believe the division is going to condense because BUF/DET/OTT will all be tougher games this season and BOS is already injury-riddled through Thanksgiving, FLA gained Tkachuk, but lost 2 of their best players to get him + lost Duclair for most of the season already, and TB doesn't have the same tier of player replacing Palat or McDonagh. Will that be enough? Maybe. Will it make for an entertaining season? Definitely.

Not predicting the Sabres in the playoffs yet either.  But 3.5% of their staff said JOISEY will make the playoffs.  Just hard to believe that if people can see Joisey making the leap, that not a single person there sees the Sabres and their play since Tuch showed up in the lineup & the lineup got healthy and says that could continue enough to get in.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not predicting the Sabres in the playoffs yet either.  But 3.5% of their staff said JOISEY will make the playoffs.  Just hard to believe that if people can see Joisey making the leap, that not a single person there sees the Sabres and their play since Tuch showed up in the lineup & the lineup got healthy and says that could continue enough to get in.

I don't think Jersey will make it, either. But I do see the love for them as an up-and-comer. It's a lot easier to see Pitt or the Caps falling off a cliff because of age/injuries than just Boston in our division. The Jackets got Gaudreau but nothing else on that team is daunting. Meanwhile, NJD has 2 high-end young centers in Hischier and Hughes. Bratt had 73 points. They were like Detroit and us last year with garbage goaltending and Vanecek should help them at least a little bit toward average. Mercer looked really good and even getting Wood back from injury would solidify the middle six. There is definitely some room for optimism there.

(3% is probably one person)

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I don't think Jersey will make it, either. But I do see the love for them as an up-and-comer. It's a lot easier to see Pitt or the Caps falling off a cliff because of age/injuries than just Boston in our division. The Jackets got Gaudreau but nothing else on that team is daunting. Meanwhile, NJ has the Sabres have 2 high-end young centers in Hischier and Hughes. defencemen in Dahlin and Power. Bratt Thompson had 73 points.  38 goals. They were like Detroit and us NJ last year with garbage goaltending and Vanecek Comrie should help them at least a little bit toward average. Mercer Cozens looked really good and even getting Wood Mittelstadt back from injury would solidify the middle six. There is definitely some room for optimism there.

(3% is probably one person)

Sabres don’t deserve *****, but @Taro T is right, nothing New Jersey has, or has done stands out as superior to the Sabres.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Wing

Skinner G33 P63 -14 * Bratt G26 P73 0

Okposo G21 P46 -15 * Palat G18 P49 +15

Tuch  G12 P38 -3 * Sharangovich G24 P46 -14

Olofsson G20 P49 -16 * Tatar G15 P30 -22

Hinostroza G13 P25 -11 * Johnsson G13 P35 +4

Asplund G8 P27 -5 * Haula G18 P44 +19

Krebs G7 P22 -20 * Boqvist G10 P23 -9

Quinn G1 P2 -7 * Holtz G0 P2 -5

Peterka G0 P0 0 * Wood G0 P0 -2

Bjork G5 P8 -14 * Bastian G11 P16 -11

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wing

Skinner G33 P63 -14 * Bratt G26 P73 0

Okposo G21 P46 -15 * Palat G18 P49 +15

Tuch  G12 P38 -3 * Sharangovich G24 P46 -14

Olofsson G20 P49 -16 * Tatar G15 P30 -22

Hinostroza G13 P25 -11 * Johnsson G13 P35 +4

Asplund G8 P27 -5 * Haula G18 P44 +19

Krebs G7 P22 -20 * Boqvist G10 P23 -9

Quinn G1 P2 -7 * Holtz G0 P2 -5

Peterka G0 P0 0 * Wood G0 P0 -2

Bjork G5 P8 -14 * Bastian G11 P16 -11

Goaltending for both is a big question mark.  Defense looks pretty close to equal.  NJ looks better at forward though, especially at C where they look significantly better IMPO.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sabres don’t deserve *****, but @Taro T is right, nothing New Jersey has, or has done stands out as superior to the Sabres.

This survey is fresh off the optics of the draft and free agency. From a national perspective, Jersey got a maybe starting-caliber goalie (same as the Sabres) and Ondrej Palat (who would be in our top 6) -- who's been constantly in the public eye with Tampa's playoff runs. The Sabres got a maybe-2nd pair defensive defenseman. Jersey also drafted 1st overall. They're trendy. For that matter, so are Detroit and Ottawa after making splashy FA moves and DeBrincat trades.

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I don't put a single new team in the east into the playoffs until I see it happen.  The conference has too many of those teams who are always there and the point gap was so damn large last year.

lightning ,Penguins,  Florida,  leafs ,  , blue jackets,  Hurricanes,boston

Are pretty much a lock imo.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Disagree on Blue Jackets. They gained Gaudreau but lost Bjorkstrand who was a big piece for them.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-john-klingberg-parts-ways-with-longtime-agent-peter-wallen/

I wonder if he felt his agent turned down a couple good offers or that he hasn’t been receiving any worthwhile offers yet.

Edited by Flashsabre

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Boston also has a ton of injuries and won’t be full go until the end of the year, so a slow start might hamper them.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Disagree on Blue Jackets. They gained Gaudreau but lost Bjorkstrand who was a big piece for them.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-john-klingberg-parts-ways-with-longtime-agent-peter-wallen/

I wonder if he felt his agent turned down a couple good offers or that he hasn’t been receiving any worthwhile offers yet.

Johnson, sillinger will replace bjorkstrand.. i agree it could be a set back

But Gaudreau has always carried players to new level would surprise me if laine hits 100 points 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

No

The Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since 2006 yes they're a lock.

Boston hasn't miseed since 2016 bringing back david krejci and a healthy Pastrnak,  Marchand

Lets not forget (Bergeron lasy year ) he is going to make sure he gives it his all.

blue Jackets just added a top 10 player in the NHL with the likes of Laine , Sillinger,werenski 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

The Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since 2006 yes they're a lock.

Boston hasn't miseed since 2016 bringing back david krejci and a healthy Pastrnak,  Marchand

Lets not forget (Bergeron lasy year ) he is going to make sure he gives it his all.

blue Jackets just added a top 10 player in the NHL with the likes of Laine , Sillinger,werenski 

Marchand, McCavoy and at least one other will miss the 1st month of season at minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

The Blue Jackets roster is lousy overall and they are over the cap and are going to have to trade another piece.

their D corps beyond Werenski is brutal.

Sillinger scores 30 points let’s not anoint him a superstar and Johnson could very easily struggle as a rookie.

Their goaltending has been nothing to write home about the past couple years as well.

• Like (+1) 1

https://apple.news/AVSUCt4DwQk6vT7OuSzOIIQ

This story lists 5 possible landing spots for Kadri. One of them is the Wild, who could use a 1C/2C, but the cap prevents them from doing so.
Could the Sabres get asset(s) from the Wild for next to nothing so they get their man?

Edited by French Collection

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Klingberg to Anaheim. 1 year, $7 million

Taylor Hall type scenario. See what they get for him at the deadline. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, thewookie1 said:

Marchand, McCavoy and at least one other will miss the 1st month of season at minimum.

Gryzlek also. And I think they might be out longer, might miss the first half of the season. Boston might be in trouble. 

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

https://apple.news/AVSUCt4DwQk6vT7OuSzOIIQ

This story lists 5 possible landing spots for Kadri. One of them is the Wild, who could use a 1C/2C, but the cap prevents them from doing so.
Could the Sabres get asset(s) from the Wild for next to nothing so they get their man?

As ever, Dumba would be the likely player they would try to move. Perhaps Zuccarello. It would be a nice pick up to add Dumba to play with Power. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.