2022 NHL Free Agency Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not a fan of Max Pacioretty? 🙂

No, I’m not a fan of Patches. I watched him in Vegas the last few years. Yes we know about his shot but my issue with him is effort and that he’s always hurt. The conference finals against Montreal sealed his fate for me. You would think a guy playing his former team would be going balls to the wall every shift but he didn’t and he got outplayed big time by the guy he was traded for. Plus I have inside knowledge that VGK has two cancers on their team and one isn’t named Eichel. Patches and that mental patient goalie Lehner  who the fans don’t want here. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

No, I’m not a fan of Patches. I watched him in Vegas the last few years. Yes we know about his shot but my issue with him is effort and that he’s always hurt. The conference finals against Montreal sealed his fate for me. You would think a guy playing his former team would be going balls to the wall every shift but he didn’t and he got outplayed big time by the guy he was traded for. Plus I have inside knowledge that VGK has two cancers on their team and one isn’t named Eichel. Patches and that mental patient goalie Lehner  who the fans don’t want here. 

Not a good look, IMO.  This phrasing could be better, IMO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Even if Adams inquired about Pacioretty, either the player nixed it or Vegas refused based on the optics. (Trading Patches and Coghlan to Buffalo for Future Considerations would certainly just get added to the Eichel trade in the league-wide consciousness) 

I wouldn't really want Pacioretty (never liked him as a player) but Carolina did get him for basically free, illustrating the point that these things are out there to be seized upon by smart GMs. We have the cap space, Seattle has the cap space. Teams want Kadri as their 2C they need cap space. Go get a Compher or somebody like that and let them sign him. 

If it's a garbage player obviously make them add in high pick(s) preferrably for next year. 

2 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Will be interesting to see if he ruins Carolina then. People were saying the same thing about DeAngelo and he had a big season for them. Brind'Amour vs. Max, we shall see who comes out on top. I'd bet on Brind'Amour. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

With Bishop being fully eligible for BF-LTIR, providing the rumors are correct that the team controlling his rights would only be out of pocket $750k thanks to insurance, all taking on Bishop's contract did was save the Stars $750k.  Suppose they might've gotten a 6th for taking him, but doubt it.  The Sabres got the 7th and near certainty that they'd be able to make a mid-season move without worrying about going under the cap floor.  Which is a decent purchase for only $750k IMHO.

I’d love to know the true nuts and bolts of these insurance policies. It seems so strange that they can be traded from one policy holder to the next, but I suppose insurance for sports contracts is a completely different world than anyone’s used to. I picture someone getting divorced and then remarried, and the policy on the wife is automatically transferred to the new one. 

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I’d love to know the true nuts and bolts of these insurance policies. It seems so strange that they can be traded from one policy holder to the next, but I suppose insurance for sports contracts is a completely different world than anyone’s used to. I picture someone getting divorced and then remarried, and the policy on the wife is automatically transferred to the new one. 

My understanding is that there's a general insurance policy league-wide for contracts up to a certain value and then outlier contracts like that of Eichel or McDavid can have their own insurance covering the greater value.  And the premiums on those are based in large part on the player's age & past injury history.

The LaFontaine insurance policy kicked in after 20 games but after his concussion he became neatly uninsurable as the premium would've been nearly price of the full 75% remaining on the contract.  (The unspoken of part of the reason for refusing to let him play in Buffalo but why ownership was willing to trade him to let him play.)

But the only underwriters for such policies are groups like Lloyd's that have a very niche market.

Absolutely agree w/ you that it would be good to see an actual policy & it's terms & riders.  (Because the player isn't the beneficiary of these policies, they aren't included in the CBA beyond owners not being able to claim their premium payments as expenses when calculating net HRR.)

3 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

But the other one is. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:58 AM, Carmel Corn said:

If we do help another team's cap, I would hope we should get a much better return than what we got for Bishop's contract.  Still not happy with the return from Dallas.

That was a mutually beneficial move though:  Dallas needed to clear cap and Buffalo needed to get to the floor.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, shrader said:

I’d love to know the true nuts and bolts of these insurance policies.

I wouldn't be surprised if the policy is attached in some way to the contract, so when a team acquires the contract they also acquire the insurance.  Like the insurance isn't on the player; it's on the contract itself.

Edited by Doohickie

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Love the Niederrieter signing by the Preds. Good addition for fair value. 

Hadn't realized he was an UFA this year & haven't seen what he got from the Preds.  Would've looked very good in B&G.  Have really liked him since Buffalo's 1st time hosting the WJCs.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Hadn't realized he was an UFA this year & haven't seen what he got from the Preds.  Would've looked very good in B&G.  Have really liked him since Buffalo's 1st time hosting the WJCs.

2 years, 8 mil total.  Good deal for the Predators. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

That is a lot of money for a guy who in the last few years finished Tied for 70th in the league in goals, tied for 133rd in goals, and tied for 22nd.  Even if you take into account his games missed, he still was 33rd in goals per game last year.  He doesn't bring much defensively, and his skates don't touch the ice short-handed.

He got paid off of his draft status and his first 2 seasons in the league 5-6 years ago.

Maybe its not that bad of a deal because of the length, you are getting him through age 28 (his prime years) and he still has POTENTIAL to score 40 for you.

Edited by mjd1001

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

That is a lot of money for a guy who in the last few years finished Tied for 70th in the league in goals, tied for 133rd in goals, and tied for 22nd.  Even if you take into account his games missed, he still was 33rd in goals per game last year.  He doesn't bring much defensively, and his skates don't touch the ice short-handed.

He got paid off of his draft status and his first 2 seasons in the league 5-6 years ago.

I don't know.  He just turned 24, averages 30 goals a season, had a decent bounce back season, and is gonna be on a line with Gaudreau.

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is one of those deals we've been hoping the Sabres would able to make happen:

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/cbj-acquire-draft-picks-from-seattle-in-exchange-for-oliver-bjorkstrand/c-335069258

27 years old, 28 goals, reasonable contract...

Good, he always scored against Buffalo. Stay far out west.

That is a big loss for the Jackets. 

LOL on hfboards a Jackets fan stated that a deal for Bjorkstrand would start at Krebs + 1st +.

Then he got the 3rd + 4th return dropped on him.😀

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

This is one of those deals we've been hoping the Sabres would able to make happen:

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/cbj-acquire-draft-picks-from-seattle-in-exchange-for-oliver-bjorkstrand/c-335069258

27 years old, 28 goals, reasonable contract...

Exactly what I've been saying they can and should do. This is a great pick up for Seattle. There are still some other teams with cap troubles. Hopefully he's talking to at least some of them and we do something similar. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.