2022 NHL Free Agency Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

I find it interesting that Laine’s contract is only 4 years.  I’m assuming that CBJ would’ve preferred a longer deal, but Laine wanted another big contract in 4 years when the cap will likely be higher and he’ll be 28 with 4 years of big numbers from playing with Gaudreau under his belt.  Still, it’s a risky move by him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I find it interesting that Laine’s contract is only 4 years.  I’m assuming that CBJ would’ve preferred a longer deal, but Laine wanted another big contract in 4 years when the cap will likely be higher and he’ll be 28 with 4 years of big numbers from playing with Gaudreau under his belt.  Still, it’s a risky move by him.

I find the 4 years telling.  I mean Laine gets his AAV, but COL probably held off term.  With the question marks on defense  and motivation, this is the poster child candidate for a short term deal.  You have to keep certain players hungry.  

Edited by Broken Ankles

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I find the 4 years telling.  I mean Laine gets his AAV, but COL probably held off term.  With the question marks on defense  and motivation, this is the poster child candidate for a short term deal.  You have to keep certain players hungry.  

Well, you certainly could be right that it was CBJ‘s decision to keep it a short term deal. I suspect though that it was more Laine’s decision, because CBJ has had a very difficult time keeping its high end talent.

I’d be interested to hear the answer on that question if anybody comes across it.

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Ex-Sabre Robert Hagg signed by Detroit to replace ex-Sabre Mark Pysyk who just had Achilles tendon surgery, out 4-6 months.

The Detroit Sabres  😛

Except they are last year's Sabres.

Clarification: they are adding last year's Sabres defence to this year's Red Wings team.  Whose defence would you rather have going into next season: ours or the alleged potential playoff team?

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Clarification: they are adding last year's Sabres defence to this year's Red Wings team.  Whose defence would you rather have going into next season: ours or the alleged potential playoff team?

Apparently the rocket surgeons at the Athletic would rather have Detroit's.  They at least gave the Wings a shot at the playoffs.  They put the Sabres in the same boat as Filly & the Hab nots with not a single staffer swing them in the playoffs this year.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Apparently the rocket surgeons at the Athletic would rather have Detroit's.  They at least gave the Wings a shot at the playoffs.  They put the Sabres in the same boat as Filly & the Hab nots with not a single staffer swing them in the playoffs this year.

Honestly, considering our historic drought of ineptitude, I struggle to see any writers predicting a playoff berth for this team until they’ve proven they can do it. Nor should they, really, I’d argue. Why wouldn’t the perception of the Sabres be “believe it when I see it” mode?

It only makes logical sense for these writers. No one is going to lambast an analyst for NOT predicting a Sabres berth, should it happen. But any kind of premature playoff prediction, concerning a team droughting for this long, will get its quote tweets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Until they trade for Bjork and sign Eakin they are not last year’s Sabres😀

I’m actually surprised that Eakin is still a UFA.  NHL GMs are usually painfully slow learners.  Surprised some idiot hasn’t signed him yet. Whats Philly waiting for? 😀

I’m still a little nervous he’ll be back until he isn’t.  

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, considering our historic drought of ineptitude, I struggle to see any writers predicting a playoff berth for this team until they’ve proven they can do it. Nor should they, really, I’d argue. Why wouldn’t the perception of the Sabres be “believe it when I see it” mode?

It only makes logical sense for these writers. No one is going to lambast an analyst for NOT predicting a Sabres berth, should it happen. But any kind of premature playoff prediction, concerning a team droughting for this long, will get its quote tweets.

30+ percent of them have the Otters making it, 11% have the Wings getting in, and 3.5% of them picked friggin' Joisey.  That not ONE went w/ the Sabres getting in should be blackboard material this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

30+ percent of them have the Otters making it, 11% have the Wings getting in, and 3.5% of them picked friggin' Joisey.  That not ONE went w/ the Sabres getting in should be blackboard material this season.

The reason they shouldn’t have any more free space to write that on the blackboard is the same reason no one can pick them: 

All that should be written on it now is a great, big, # 12.

This feels like coming out of the lockout with no one picking the Sabres and them coming out of nowhere.

From the outside looking in Buffalo didn’t make a big splash. Their success is predicated on a backup goalie having a great season and a lot of younger player breaking through. That’s fine.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You took the words right out of my fingers.  It doesn’t shock me in the slightest that any team (save AZ) would get picks to be in the playoffs over Buffalo given the actual, no hyperbole historic playoff drought we have going on.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't want Kadri because i hate his *****in ass. 

I do wonder if, the longer he's out there the Sabres have kicked the tires on him. 

Or kicked him in the balls, either way.

As some have mentioned on here, helping the Avs out by taking Compher off their hands would be a good fit here imo.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weave said:

You took the words right out of my fingers.  It doesn’t shock me in the slightest that any team (save AZ) would get picks to be in the playoffs over Buffalo given the actual, no hyperbole historic playoff drought we have going on.

I wouldn't predict the Sabres to make the playoffs this season, either. And certainly not until we see what training camp and injuries occur (and if the Bruins bring back Krejci and Bergeron at veteran minimum salaries because why not). I strongly believe the Sabres will be better than last season where they stunk for 3 months. I strongly believe the division is going to condense because BUF/DET/OTT will all be tougher games this season and BOS is already injury-riddled through Thanksgiving, FLA gained Tkachuk, but lost 2 of their best players to get him + lost Duclair for most of the season already, and TB doesn't have the same tier of player replacing Palat or McDonagh. Will that be enough? Maybe. Will it make for an entertaining season? Definitely.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Maybe the Sabres sign him, flip him to someone else while retaining 50%. Weaponizing cap space in a pre arranged deal.

Sign who?

If you quote the post yours is realated to it helps this old Sabre fan to follow along ... 😘

If you are talking about Brother Kadri then I think the Sabres should sign him and keep him.

Well, maybe not ...

Meme Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.