Sabres Sign Malcolm Subban 1 year 850k

PromoTheRobot

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You said he was a "scrub" because he was "expendable."  Well, Gretzky was expendable, ...

Dom Hasek was the best goalie ever to play in the 3rd best league in the world and had excelled at every level he'd played.

And maybe had Captain Hook given him a start, he might not have been swept by the Pens.  He kept the guy who got 70+ starts the year before and after only playing in 50 some RS games.  That ain't a "scrub."

Okay, okay, you win. Hasek was a god when he was traded. geez.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

By your definition, Gretzky was a "scrub" as HE was "expendable."

Keith? Ya, pretty much. 🙂

Subban's just never lived up to his potential. He didn't develop the way projections thought he would. With a goalie it is possible he still turns it around but it's very unlikely. So to answer the original question, I don't think it matters. 

43 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, okay, you win. Hasek was a god when he was traded. geez.

Never claimed he was considered a God when Chicago sent him packing, but he sure as heck was not considered a "scrub."  Unkike PK's younger brother.  😉

On Hasek: many people thought Hasek was a scrub.  The "thinking" was, as one professional put it as the consensus around the league in _The Hockey News_ after the 1992 Stanley Cup Final over the fawning reaction of fans for his save on Mario: "His 'style' only works in Europe and it might work in the minors.  [Something about how lucky he sometimes was.]  But his style does not translate to the NHL game."

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Sign Malcolm Subban 1 year 850k

He was real bad on the ice in his brief appearances last year. Seems like a great culture guy.

I’m going to assume they have picked him over Tokarski, ostensibly for G4, and he will be back and forth from Rochester to practice and sit on the bench as Andy needs to rest and recuperate.

And I’m good with him in that role. Curious as to whether he has more game than he’s shown. He has been better, but he’s never been good.

However, if his role is what Tokarski’s was last year - the actual back-up to Anderson - I think that’s an actual downgrade and we are in trouble.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He was real bad on the ice in his brief appearances last year. Seems like a great culture guy.

I’m going to assume they have picked him over Tokarski, ostensibly for G4, and he will be back and forth from Rochester to practice and sit on the bench as Andy needs to rest and recuperate.

And I’m good with him in that role. Curious as to whether he has more game than he’s shown. He has been better, but he’s never been good.

However, if his role is what Tokarski’s was last year - the actual back-up to Anderson - I think that’s an actual downgrade and we are in trouble.

Or an Anderson/UPL tandem where Subban starters in Rochester. Or are we certain UPL is Rochester bound? 

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Could see Tokarski wanting to leave to get a bona fide opportunity to be the backup somewhere.  Realizing Adams may not find a starter, but Anderson pencils in as the backup, UPL the Amerks starter, & Subban the Amerks backup but likely 1st callup.

Toker deserves a legit opportunity to be a backup somewhere.  MHO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Or an Anderson/UPL tandem where Subban starters in Rochester. Or are we certain UPL is Rochester bound? 

I’m starting to think it will be a repeat of last year’s 4-way camp battle, with Subban instead of Dell and someone else instead of Tokarski.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I’m starting to think it will be a repeat of last year’s 4-way camp battle, with Subban instead of Dell and someone else instead of Tokarski.

But more less A Tokarski, right? 

Anderson, UPL, Subban, Tokarskish. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.