Sabres Sign Vinnie Hinostroza to 1 year 1.7 Million Dollar Extension

Brawndo

43 minutes ago, LTS said:

I like this and was hoping it would happen. He has speed and I think has the right character for the team. Those who are expecting big moves by Adams are going to be disappointed. Has has never indicated he wants to go the big splash route and so I am not expecting it.

Good to see ya sir!

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With Vinnie's return we are at 14 forwards including Bjork, Quinn, JJP and VO.  Currently the roster has 13 F (Vo not yet signed), 6 D (including Fitz) and 1 G for a total of 53.5 mill.  9 mill left to get to the floor.  

This is a good way to describe it -- thanks. 

The bell would seem to be tolling for at least 2 of Bjork, a hypothetical FA acquisition and JJP's chances of starting the year in Buffalo.

This is okay. 

I don’t think it says much about Quinn/Peterka losing a spot considering injuries that always occur. 

I do think it’s more evidence that Adams isn’t really hoping for much improvement from any other than internal development. 

Could even be a run-back from last season w/ the like of Anderson, UPL, Hinostroza, etc. I wouldn’t call it a “placeholder” year, but we appear to be in a holding pattern until what we have catapults us forward, should that time come 

- - - 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Asplund - Cozens - Quinn

Olofsson - Krebs - Okposo

Girgensons - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza

(Peterka)

..ya, I know none of those is a prototypical “4C” but those are our Cs. Run 4 lines.

Samuelsson - Dahlin

Power - Jokijarju

Bryson - Fitzgerald 

Anderson

UPL

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't like that we're shaping up to bring back the exact same team as last year. We need to upgrade the roster.

Not bringing back Eakin is worth a few points of improvement in the standings. 

Edited by Sakman

59 minutes ago, LTS said:

I like this and was hoping it would happen. He has speed and I think has the right character for the team. Those who are expecting big moves by Adams are going to be disappointed. Has has never indicated he wants to go the big splash route and so I am not expecting it.

Good to see you back! 

Glad he's back.  Expected it would happen, but until the ink is dry ...

Still hoping they bring in another F; either middle 6 or 4C.  

Upgrade 2RD & 1G.

Then maybe some depth signings of 4th liners / 3rd pairing guys that can start out in Ra-cha-cha & move up when there aren't enough kids that have earned callups to fill in for injuries or significant regressions.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Welcome back!

I was hoping for an upgrade over Hinostroza but I don't hate the move. Was hoping for a bigger bodied Hinostroza. I'm assuming Quinn and Peterka will join the ranks. I'm hoping for a bigger named RHD though and hopefully a goalie of ant kind of upgrade than we had last season and we're golden.

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

ya, I know none of those is a prototypical “4C” but those are our Cs. Run 4 lines.

Agreed. The objective of the game is to outscore the other team. If you're playing guys that can't score, you're at best playing for a tie.

The concept of the traditional 4th line is akin to playing prevent defense with the lead at the end of the 4th quarter in an AFC playoff game. 🙈

So what has KA accomplished so far?

Basically nothing.  The roster, except for the likely additions of Quinn and JJP at forward, is basically the same as we finished up with last season.  He has brought back Vinnie, Anderson and Subban.  Re-signed Bryson. 

He hasn’t upgraded the defense and if Subban makes team, the goaltending is actually worse.  

The next few days are huge for KA and this franchise.  Does he get a starter in goal?  Does he upgrade the right side of the defense?  Are forward upgrades also possible like at 4C.  

As I watch KA sit on his hands so far as Ott and Det upgrade their teams and especially in net, I’m concerned that a team ready to compete is going to be sabotaged by a GM unwilling to take even a small risk.  

• Agree 2

Some equate lack of moves in a timeframe they make up themselves as “sitting on his hands”

And some do not …. Mainly because they are not in the room or on the other end of one or any phone calls KA takes or makes.

Limited incomplete info available ….

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Some equate lack of moves in a timeframe they make up themselves as “sitting on his hands”

And some do not …. Mainly because they are not in the room or on the other end of one or any phone calls KA takes or makes.

We will see. As of right now the goaltender issue is extremely concerning and whatever KAs timeline is doesn't really matter if all the moves are already made before we reach that point. The list of available options is getting smaller by the day as is the corner KA is painting himself into...again.

The other issues are still much more addressable though I don't think their urgency to add is the same as many of ours.

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So what has KA accomplished so far?

Basically nothing.  The roster, except for the likely additions of Quinn and JJP at forward, is basically the same as we finished up with last season.  He has brought back Vinnie, Anderson and Subban.  Re-signed Bryson. 

He hasn’t upgraded the defense and if Subban makes team, the goaltending is actually worse.  

The next few days are huge for KA and this franchise.  Does he get a starter in goal?  Does he upgrade the right side of the defense?  Are forward upgrades also possible like at 4C.  

As I watch KA sit on his hands so far as Ott and Det upgrade their teams and especially in net, I’m concerned that a team ready to compete is going to be sabotaged by a GM unwilling to take even a small risk.  

I agree with his tact about staying the course with the prospects. In the end though it will all boil down to improving in goal. Given FA hasn't opened up yet, it's too early to be upset. 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

sitting on his hands, using his hands but fumbling, using his hands to miss and fail or just playing with himself it really makes no difference. the end result is the same. All hope for any improvement over last year will be slim at best and only possible with HUGE leaps by Mitts, Cozens, Quinn and Peterka or one or two others all at the same time. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

sitting on his hands, using his hands but fumbling, using his hands to miss and fail or just playing with himself it really makes no difference. the end result is the same. All hope for any improvement over last year will be slim at best and only possible with HUGE leaps by Mitts, Cozens, Quinn and Peterka or one or two others all at the same time. 

I believe in the team.  Like you, I'm looking for improvement from Krebs, Mitts, Cozens and even Tuch upfront plus an injection of additional offense from Quinn and JJP.  I'm also excited to see what Power can do in his first year.  

All they really need is a little more veteran presence on the blueline and a goalie who can keep the goals against under 3.  I don't think I'm asking alot and KA may deliver over the next week.  Maybe!  The failure to address the goaltending while others in a similar position did is troubling.  

The sad part is none of the things I want KA to do will disrupt the development of any good prospect.  UPL isn’t ready to take the crease and we have no extra RHD defensive D men in the system young or old to fill the void. If these glaring issue are obvious to me, they should be obvious to KA and his staff.  So far, I haven't seen any results to show that they prioritize those needs. (No getting turned down by Matt Murray was more about moving up in the draft than securing better goaltending.)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.