Ben Bishop has returned to the Dallas Stars as a coach

Buffalonill

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I could be wrong about this, but if he retired, the Sabres do not have to pay him his contract and he can work wherever he wants. The money against the cap for the Sabres is only on paper. They aren't actually paying him at all. 

Sabres are actually paying him.  However, most of his salary is reimbursed by an insurance policy.  At least that’s what I recall.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Sabres are actually paying him.  However, most of his salary is reimbursed by an insurance policy.  At least that’s what I recall.

So what you're saying is a player still gets paid his salary AFTER he retires? That doesn't sound right or make sense, but it's the NHL CBA so I guess anything's possible. 

50 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So what you're saying is a player still gets paid his salary AFTER he retires? That doesn't sound right or make sense, but it's the NHL CBA so I guess anything's possible. 

He's not retired, he's on LTIR. If he did retire, it's possible it would have cap implications (for Dallas) depending on how the contract was structured. I don't know the details, but in broad strokes if a team played games with front-loading the contract (see: Buffalo's contract with Ehrhoff) to get around the cap, but the player retires during the course of the contract, there are cap penalties for the team that benefited from the cap circumvention.

Edited by MattPie

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

He is not retired though.  He is unable to play due to injury.  Injured players still get paid and their contracts still count against the cap.  Retired players do not.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

He is not retired though.  He is unable to play due to injury.  Injured players still get paid and their contracts still count against the cap.  Retired players do not.

Ya got it. I read that he'd retired so I had assumed he had retired rather than stay on LTIR so that he could take that job. The Jim Nill "further review" thing cleared it up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.