Ben Bishop has returned to the Dallas Stars as a coach

Buffalonill

23 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What does that do to our cap hit?

This has been spoken too multiple times by tons of posters. Bishop is on LTIR, he will never play again in the NHL. All we did was trade for a caphit on paper, Bishop was never going to set foot in Buffalo unless he had to to verify the LTIR part of it. It was and will always be a transaction on paper only in which we get to add 4.9 million to our cap. Now we never need to think about Bishop again, he's simply a piece of paper that says we have 4.9mil added to the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

This has been spoken too multiple times by tons of posters. Bishop is on LTIR, he will never play again in the NHL. All we did was trade for a caphit on paper, Bishop was never going to set foot in Buffalo unless he had to to verify the LTIR part of it. It was and will always be a transaction on paper only in which we get to add 4.9 million to our cap. Now we never need to think about Bishop again, he's simply a piece of paper that says we have 4.9mil added to the cap.

Same thing as we did when traded "for Johnny Boychuk" last year after we moved Eichel and had to get to the salary floor.  

12 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

ithink this happened in another similar case where a players contract was with one team, but since they were 'retired' they went to work for their old team

Chris Pronger is the one that I remember as being an eye opener from a few years back (link below).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2226616-why-the-nhl-made-the-wrong-move-by-hiring-chris-pronger

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think everyone understands this, just seems odd that the league allows a team to trade away a retired players rights just for the salary cap hit, and then that player can still go an take another job with a different team in the league

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It’s kind of pathetic that they do deals like this instead of actually paying for a decent player to win games.

• dislike 2

8 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

It’s kind of pathetic that they do deals like this instead of actually paying for a decent player to win games.

I love ppl who say stuff like this. Adams has told you repeatedly what he is doing and yet you still say stuff like this.

Go look at the Sabres RFAs in 2023 and then come back.

8 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think everyone understands this, just seems odd that the league allows a team to trade away a retired players rights just for the salary cap hit, and then that player can still go an take another job with a different team in the league

Why do you care? Not our money, not our league. I don't give a crap what Ben Bishop does because he was a transaction on paper only.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I love ppl who say stuff like this. Adams has told you repeatedly what he is doing and yet you still say stuff like this.

Go look at the Sabres RFAs in 2023 and then come back.

Why do you care? Not our money, not our league. I don't give a crap what Ben Bishop does because he was a transaction on paper only.

Exactly, why do any of us care that they trade for a contract so they can get closer to the salary floor so they can continue to field a bottom tier NHL team while we wait for prospects to develop and (hopefully) one day become a dynasty instead of using that money/cap space to maybe improve the team now. But atleast they will have a ton of cap room to re-sign the RFAs that maybe will have the team poised to possibly be a playoff contending team in 2025......

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, SwampD said:

When does his contract run out with Buff?

The day the Sabres are no longer paying for another team’s retired player, is the day I will believe they are actually trying to win.

He stops getting paid at the end of the regular season.  The contract ends ~ Jun 30 (whatever the last day of the league year is & 1 day before FA opens up; traditionally the 1st day of the new league year is July 1; it hasn't been the last 2 years).

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was wondering about that...  It does sound like a conflict of interest, not to mention "double dipping."

I agree

If he wants to join another teams front office, he should have to sign his retirement papers first if he's under contract with another team. Until then, he is still a player under contract and should be allowed to work for another team while on LTIR. If the Stars wanted him to work with their front office, then they shouldn't have been able to trade him (or essentially his contract) away.

When his contract is over at the end of the league year in summer of 2023, he will be a FA and can take a coaching/front office/playing job anywhere he wants since he isn't signed to a team anymore. Or officially retire from the league as a player, but I believe that would affect the Stars Cap. 

If they really want him in the front office, maybe the Sabres, Stars and the league can allow a deal to be worked out that the Sabres send Bishop back to Dallas to work, keep his player contract, and they send us Robertson as a thank you.......

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/13/2022 at 12:09 AM, apuszczalowski said:

I’ll be the first to admit that I have no clue how CBAs work. A lot of you guys are much better versed on these things than I am. Having said that, it seems to me that with the way it worked out, there weren’t any issues that would have been cause for legal and ethical concerns. Right? Wrong? Yes? No?

BTW, I am not asking for a friend.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.