Rd 5, Pick #134: Vsevolod Komarov (RHD)

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Mattias Samuelsson called... he wants to meet you outside.

Don't get your point. You want him to switch sides and play RHD? 

I was really happy when they drafted Samuelsson. A number of people here said it was a bad choice. I think you wanted someone else too and said he was too slow or something. Not sure, but I gave that pick a big thumbs up and said just wait 3 years. I wanted basically the same thing this year with Warren (or Lamoureaux or both) but for the right side. 

That's 2nd rounders, not 5th. This pick is a maybe, but it's a guess. Warren was a sure thing. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't get your point. You want him to switch sides and play RHD? 

I was really happy when they drafted Samuelsson. A number of people here said it was a bad choice. I think you wanted someone else too and said he was too slow or something. Not sure, but I gave that pick a big thumbs up and said just wait 3 years. I wanted basically the same thing this year with Warren (or Lamoureaux or both) but for the right side. 

That's 2nd rounders, not 5th. This pick is a maybe, but it's a guess. Warren was a sure thing. 

Couple of things. First, it was Ryan Johnson who I was pissed they drafted. Btw Arthur Kaliyev (LW/RW) had 27 points, 14g, in 80 NHL games as a 21 year old rookie last year so you know what, I am going to continue to say we shouldn't have drafted LHD Ryan Johnson. Love ppl trying to burn me on this one.

Second, Samuelsson's agility has improved but he still needs to work on it. That was and continues to be the major concern. You know what Lamoureux is AWFUL at? Turning after you chip the puck past him and getting back up to anything resembling speed.

Third, you said that our LHD need better partners. Samuelsson's partner is Rasmus freaking Dahlin, the best defender on the team. So I was implying Muel would take exception to your comment.

Fourth, Lamoureux is on the exact same level of prospect as this kid. Warren might be a bit better, I would agree there but none of them are sure things. I really liked Noah Warren and would have been happy getting him but the Sabres wanted the goalie. Lamoureux I have almost no interest in because other than being big he does very little well. His skating is NHL average, his hands are below average, his reads are below average, his agility is below average. Now sure he can grow into his body but as I say all the time if you don't produce in juniors you don't in the NHL. Maybe there's some exception but the dumbest way to draft is trying to draft the exception. Before anyone brings up Josh Allen, thank god that worked but it shouldn't have, Josh is a special cat. Lamoureux IMPO is another in a long line of tall guys who get drafted and get playing time simply for being big. There's better ways to draft.

Finally I learned a lot about this pick in the lat 24 hours and he's got a shot to be a bottom pairing guy. Like the fact he isn't small at 6'2" and that he is a Russian playing in NA so hopefully he can stay over here and develop.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Couple of things. First, it was Ryan Johnson who I was pissed they drafted. Btw Arthur Kaliyev (LW/RW) had 27 points, 14g, in 80 NHL games as a 21 year old rookie last year so you know what, I am going to continue to say we shouldn't have drafted LHD Ryan Johnson. Love ppl trying to burn me on this one.

Second, Samuelsson's agility has improved but he still needs to work on it. That was and continues to be the major concern. You know what Lamoureux is AWFUL at? Turning after you chip the puck past him and getting back up to anything resembling speed.

Third, you said that our LHD need better partners. Samuelsson's partner is Rasmus freaking Dahlin, the best defender on the team. So I was implying Muel would take exception to your comment.

Fourth, Lamoureux is on the exact same level of prospect as this kid. Warren might be a bit better, I would agree there but none of them are sure things. I really liked Noah Warren and would have been happy getting him but the Sabres wanted the goalie. Lamoureux I have almost no interest in because other than being big he does very little well. His skating is NHL average, his hands are below average, his reads are below average, his agility is below average. Now sure he can grow into his body but as I say all the time if you don't produce in juniors you don't in the NHL. Maybe there's some exception but the dumbest way to draft is trying to draft the exception. Before anyone brings up Josh Allen, thank god that worked but it shouldn't have, Josh is a special cat. Lamoureux IMPO is another in a long line of tall guys who get drafted and get playing time simply for being big. There's better ways to draft.

Finally I learned a lot about this pick in the lat 24 hours and he's got a shot to be a bottom pairing guy. Like the fact he isn't small at 6'2" and that he is a Russian playing in NA so hopefully he can stay over here and develop.

Just a couple things, while trying to avoid too deep of an argument because those do not go well with us 🙂

So then you want to continue with Dahlin playing the right side? That is an option, but I personally prefer Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson as the starting LHD along with Joker and 2 players currently not on the roster as the starting RHD. Hence I'm signing some and drafting some to replace those signings in 3-4 years (maybe less). 

You hate Lamoureaux I get it, and although I said I would have drafted him at 28, I also said I get that some people think he's not a first rounder (you don't even think he's a second rounder) and I can accept passing on him BUT the player you aren't mentioning, the one that has me really annoyed is passing on Warren. He was right there second round, perfect spot to be picked and we reached back for the goalie afraid Seattle would take him before our 3rd round pick I guess and KA can't seem to sign a goalie so desperation ensued. Not picking Warren 2nd round was a huge mistake imo. He is exactly what we needed. 

That's it. What's done is done. I hope the goalie is great. 

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

And thus stands the trade tree of Will Butcher:

BUF acquires Will Butcher ($2.8M salary 1-yr) + 2022 NJ 5th (D Vsevolod Komarov) === NJ retains salary $910k 1-yr

Looks to me like the Sabres gave up too much.

• Disagree 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.