The Goalie Carousel in the NHL

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

His GAA and save percentage have decreased each of the last 3 years. I like his age but Washington letting him free to explore tells me they want an improvement.

I'd love if we took a shot at RFA Jake Oettinger but have a feeling we go Comrie. 

Unless Washington trades for a goalie, I'd view Samsanov as the best UFA goalie on the market. If I had to guess I'd say he wants a hefty raise and they don't have the space for his demands.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Unless Washington trades for a goalie, I'd view Varlamov as the best UFA goalie on the market. If I had to guess I'd say he wants a hefty raise and they don't have the space for his demands.

Varlamov? He is under contract to NYI.

If you mean Samsonov, he sucks. He has sucked every year. The only reason people want him is because he was a first round choice.

32 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Chicago fans may boo him as well.  Some are pissed because the Buffalo trade didn't happen (thanks to Murray)..and so that 7th overall was then used to get DeBrincat instead.

Dorian said the DeBrindicat deal would have still happened without the 7th pick. Chicago fans should be happy Murray said no, otherwise they would have hated trade even more.

Edited by tom webster
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes I meant Samsanov and I disagree with your take on him.

The last two years he played on a very strong Caps team and his sv% was .902 last year and .896 this season. Word out of Washington is he has maturity and attitude issues. No thanks

Edited by Flashsabre

26 minutes ago, eman said:

Ottawa has its 2 goaltenders. Forsberg and Gustavsson. I don't believe they're looking. That's why Murray was expendable.

I think Ottawa will spend in free agency. They think they can make the big move now. So they wanted the cap room they saved.

Murray could bounce back with the Leafs, but as before, they have the same weaknesses and I do not think their goaltending (or D) is good enough to take them out of the first round. and I love it!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Are the Leafs making the move w/the intention of Matt being the starter? 

They may want an upgrade on that Swede who played down the stretch in someone who can compete with Murray, but with their cap situation it is unlikely they can afford someone good.

They basically just swapped Mrazek for Murray at similar cap hits.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

It has to be as they can't afford anyone else. Now it leaves Ottawa competing with us in the goalie market.

Assuming Kuemper to the Caps and Campbell to the Oilers, I don’t think anyone is in a position (money, need, opportunity) to compete with us in the goalie market if the Sabres decide they want to sign somebody.

26 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Unless Washington trades for a goalie, I'd view Samsanov as the best UFA goalie on the market. If I had to guess I'd say he wants a hefty raise and they don't have the space for his demands.

Washington flat out said Samsonov wasnt worth his $3 million-plus qualifier.

They would have traded him if he was.

He’s on the verge of blowing his career if this isn’t a wake-up call.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’d take Samsonov as a reclamation project, but only if he comes cheap and doesn’t have an attitude problem. 

Well since the Caps didn't qualify him, he will be a UFA and will be available for whatever he will sign for.

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The last two years he played on a very strong Caps team and his sv% was .902 last year and .896 this season. Word out of Washington is he has maturity and attitude issues. No thanks

Anderson was with Washington before coming to the Sabres.  He should be able to provide some insight on Samsonov's attitude and character but I agree he has a better name than his stats.

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I didn't mean that Buffalo should sign him, I don't think he'd come here. I think we're going to have a hard time finding a legit goalie like I've stated countless times but I also hope I'm wrong.

I’d view Comrie and Samsonov as an upgrade on Tokarski and Dell.

Given how the dominoes seem to be falling, it may be less about bringing in a legitimate starter and more about maximizing the upside of our lottery tickets.

Still hoping for a trade. Maybe Adams can surprise us.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe the real goalie is the friends we’ve made along the way..

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d view Comrie and Samsonov as an upgrade on Tokarski and Dell.

Given how the dominoes seem to be falling, it may be less about bringing in a legitimate starter and more about maximizing the upside of our lottery tickets.

Still hoping for a trade. Maybe Adams can surprise us.

I don’t know to a certainty that this is an underlying core strategy element for Adams, but I feel like it might be. Rather than making a sizeable bet on something advertised as great, value bets on a multiple pieces advertised as good. It doesn’t fit perfectly, but it may even run up to, and including betting on our group of “good” upside 2Cs rather than an MVP contender and the commitment-to-said-player that entails. 

It appeared to be the strategy with the goaltending pipeline. Fill it w/Levi / Portillo / UPL and the odds play hopefully results in a true starter. (Results mixed on this so far, for sure.)

Making ALL 11 picks, opting for quantity instead of packaging a few for “quality”. 

If he approaches the GT for on roster like you say, it’d sorta fit right in 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would consider best realistic case trading for Quick & signing Samsonov but expect at most Adams would only do 1 or the other.

Per Friedman in his most recent 32 thoughts podcast, he’s been told that the Kings aren’t looking to move Quick.  They like running a tandem and they have the cap space.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Story I just saw 3-3.5 in arbitration Wash didnt want to pay.

42 minutes ago, Curt said:

Per Friedman in his most recent 32 thoughts podcast, he’s been told that the Kings aren’t looking to move Quick.  They like running a tandem and they have the cap space.

Marty Biron was saying in a podcast that Quick would probably retire rather than accept a trade. He’s been a King for his entire career so that could happen.

You never know unless you ask.

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe the real goalie is the friends we’ve made along the way..

I don’t know to a certainty that this is an underlying core strategy element for Adams, but I feel like it might be. Rather than making a sizeable bet on something advertised as great, value bets on a multiple pieces advertised as good. It doesn’t fit perfectly, but it may even run up to, and including betting on our group of “good” upside 2Cs rather than an MVP contender and the commitment-to-said-player that entails. 

It appeared to be the strategy with the goaltending pipeline. Fill it w/Levi / Portillo / UPL and the odds play hopefully results in a true starter. (Results mixed on this so far, for sure.)

Making ALL 11 picks, opting for quantity instead of packaging a few for “quality”. 

If he approaches the GT for on roster like you say, it’d sorta fit right in 

I believe Adams when he says he has looked at every goalie that might be available, put a value on each and explored every option to see if there was a fit.

We know he reached at least one deal. We don’t know how close he came on others, or how much he was willing to pay, depending on the target. And we don’t know what may still be out there.

So I doubt maximizing the lottery tickets was ever Plan A, but it may end up as the best plan available.

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They only have $4M with only 19 guys signed and 4 defenseman. They could use the space.

They have 6 defenseman and 21 total players signed.  Doughty and Walker are listed as on LTIR right now.  They also have defensive prospects Clarke and Grans, and several forward prospects who may get a shot to make the team.

They have space.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Are the Leafs making the move w/the intention of Matt being the starter? 

Pretty much, I don't think they can afford anyone else unless they move one of the forwards for a goalie to free cap space.

Their front office appear to be high on Murray and believe his flaws can be fixed easily because many in their coaching staff and front office were with the Soo greyhounds in the OHL when Murray was there and know him well

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.