The Goalie Carousel in the NHL

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I hope so because it will end up being another goaltending flop for the Leafs. It took them less then a season to go from Campbell the hero to throwing him away.

That was the early 1990s Red Wings.  They were tough on goalies and went through a bunch until things stabilized with Mike Vernon and his acolyte Chris Osgood.

Maybe Kevyn is trying to find a Mike Vernon for his goalie prospects.  Craig Anderson is close but too far past his prime (and he never really was that good.... Vernon had a prior Cup to his credit).

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

So what stopped him from trading for Husso, and signing him to an extension?  I doubt he had a NMC. 

Exactly, I mean we were "linked" to him. That makes me think Yzerman simply made a better offer than KA OR that KA was just going to wait until free agency and Yzerman read about him being "linked" and swooped in with the 3rd rounder and quick offer. KA caught napping. 

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Exactly, I mean we were "linked" to him. That makes me think Yzerman simply made a better offer than KA OR that KA was just going to wait until free agency and Yzerman read about him being "linked" and swooped in with the 3rd rounder and quick offer. KA caught napping. 

He was a pending UFA. Are you sure Husso was willing to sign here? Otherwise your conclusion is off base. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He was a pending UFA. Are you sure Husso was willing to sign here? Otherwise your conclusion is off base. 

My conclusion is based on the rumour of being "linked" to him.

Detroit isn't exactly a top team right now either. Arguably better than us with this goaltending addition but not by a lot. Husso signed a 3 deal with them so he's not exactly signed up with a cup contender so I can't see how he'd feel we were any different/worse, especially if we offered him 5 or 6 rather than his 4.7

This is a Buffalo News column written by Mike Harrington. He discusses the GM's approach to the goalie search, and he also discusses how much the GM places on importance of having players who want to be here and his timeline that influences his decisions. The general thrust of the article parallels what has been said here on these topics. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/mike-harrington-kevyn-adams-doesnt-have-sabres-new-goalie-yet-but-hell-get-one-on/article_be10dc60-fef2-11ec-987d-7bec8413c71d.html

I am getting the feeling that they will gamble on Holtby for two years. If he and/or Anderson breaks then they get a taste of UPL. Subban or Dell may be the other Rochester guy.

I think Campbell will want too much term for KA’s plan and he won’t get into a bidding war for Kuemper.

There are still some possibilities on the trade front but the draft currency is now ‘23 and ‘24.

I think there’s a healthy trade market for decent goalies. I would sign the best goalie we can get for the 4-5 year term they want. I won’t give them a NMC though. If Levi or whoever is progressing faster than planned, you ship them out to the highest bidder. If he’s not, then we still have our decent goalie. 

Who is realistically left to the Sabres at this point in trade or UFA?  Murray and Gibson have apparently already turned us down.

The top of the heap is Kuemper and Campbell and it's unlikely either comes here with established playoff teams still looking for help.

According to capfriendly the remaining UFA goalies, who played at least 17 games last year, are Greiss (36 years old - 3.66 . 891 last season), Jones (32; 3.43 .900), Halak (37; 2.94, .903), Rittich (29; 3.58, .886), Lankinen (27; 3.50 .891), Comrie (26; 2.58, .920), Gillies (28; 3.71, .887) and Tokarski (32; 3.27, .889).  Any interest other than Comrie?

Who might be available in trade?

Talbot (35; $3.667 for one more year - 2.76, .911)

Varlomov (34; $5  for one more year, M-NTC - 2.91 .911)

Allen (31, $2.875 for one more year - 3.30 .905)

Quick (36, $5.8 for one more year - 2.59, .910)  Although he doesn't have a NTC/NMC, the career King is unlikely to get traded without his consent.  

To me it looks like Allen, Talbot and Comrie are KA's best bets at this point.  Comrie is the one that interests me the most as I think he has been a slow developing goalie that has Husso like potential next season.

I'll add one more possible but unlikely trade target.  Would WPG honestly move Hellebuyck in the right deal?  He's 29 (2.97 .910 last season) and under contract for two more years at $6.166.  He has no trade protection.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is realistically left to the Sabres at this point in trade or UFA?  Murray and Gibson have apparently already turned us down.

The top of the heap is Kuemper and Campbell and it's unlikely either comes here with established playoff teams still looking for help.

According to capfriendly the remaining UFA goalies, who played at least 17 games last year, are Greiss (36 years old - 3.66 . 891 last season), Jones (32; 3.43 .900), Halak (37; 2.94, .903), Rittich (29; 3.58, .886), Lankinen (27; 3.50 .891), Comrie (26; 2.58, .920), Gillies (28; 3.71, .887) and Tokarski (32; 3.27, .889).  Any interest other than Comrie?

Who might be available in trade?

Talbot (35; $3.667 for one more year - 2.76, .911)

Varlomov (34; $5  for one more year, M-NTC - 2.91 .911)

Allen (31, $2.875 for one more year - 3.30 .905)

Quick (36, $5.8 for one more year - 2.59, .910)  Although he doesn't have a NTC/NMC, the career King is unlikely to get traded without his consent.  

To me it looks like Allen, Talbot and Comrie are KA's best bets at this point.  Comrie is the one that interests me the most as I think he has been a slow developing goalie that has Husso like potential next season.

I'll add one more possible but unlikely trade target.  Would WPG honestly move Hellebuyck in the right deal?  He's 29 (2.97 .910 last season) and under contract for two more years at $6.166.  He has no trade protection.

Agree on Comrie.  It's getting pretty thin.

Any chance on getting a younger goalie like Carter Hart who's coming off a couple of poor seasons?  Dan Vladar in Calgary?

Overall the league really needs some of these goalie prospects to break in and establish themselves.

https://thehockeywriters.com/who-is-the-nhls-top-goaltending-prospect/

23 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I knew it would be difficult for the Sabres to find a quality G. I don’t think GMKA is sitting on his hands but I think it’s going to be tough. Most G with a NMC probably have Buffalo on the no trade list, a quality FA probably wants to play for a contender so maybe a guy like Holtby with something to prove would want to come here?

Holtby, reportedly, has injury issues that aren't resolved. Possibly career ending.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I would give Comrie a shot now. If he wants to come to Buffalo to be a starter there is no other team that could outbid KA.

My trade target would be Varlamov. At his age he wouldn’t block UPL, Levi or Portillo.

So another Inexperienced goalie ? Just go with UPL then 

Talbot with a 3 year term and no clauses just in case the kids surprise us and are kicking the door down sooner than expected. 

Subban for #2  in Rochester and to be the #3 for the Sabres, in the hope he is never needed to actually fill that role with the Sabres. I say number 3 because I would like to see UPL get a full year as the #1 in Rochester and be ready in 2023-24 to be a real NHL #1 or #2 for the remainder of his career. I'd be more than happy to have UPL force his way onto the Sabres sooner than that. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
missing some important words

22 hours ago, Digger said:

Agree on Comrie.  It's getting pretty thin.

Any chance on getting a younger goalie like Carter Hart who's coming off a couple of poor seasons?  Dan Vladar in Calgary?

Overall the league really needs some of these goalie prospects to break in and establish themselves.

https://thehockeywriters.com/who-is-the-nhls-top-goaltending-prospect/

Not sure if Philly gives up on Hart yet, but the Devils appeared to be interested in dealing Blackwood

28 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not sure if Philly gives up on Hart yet, but the Devils appeared to be interested in dealing Blackwood

Is the problem in NJ Blackwood or the NJ defense?  At 25, taking a chance on him would be a very reasonable thing to try, especially as he has only one year left on his deal at 2.8.   

• Like (+1) 1

This won't be a popular option, but let me make a half-hearted argument for David Rittich.

Prior to being dealt to Toronto late in 2020-21, Rittich had played in 129 games over 4 seasons with the Flames.  He went 63-39-15 in those games with a .908 save %.

In 2018-19 he started 45 games, went 27-9-5 with a .911 save %.

In 2019-20 he started 48 games, went 24-17-6 with a .907 save %.

Rittich's game fell off a bit in 2020-21 when the Flames brought in Markstom and he became the back-up.  He was not a fit in Toronto and was a disaster last year in Nashville playing behind Saros.

The arguments against Rittich are obvious.  He was never more than an average starter and his game has seemingly fallen off a cliff over the last 16 months or so.

The arguments for him are: he has shown he can start 40+ games and post around average NHL #'s; he is relatively young, turning 30 next month; he will be available (unless I missed him signing in Europe), cheap and won't be demanding term.

Goaltending is just so unpredictable. Would it really be shocking if Rittich signed somewhere, became the starter due to injury and had decent #'s over 40-45 starts? Year to year it seems the goalies who move around are as likely to have disappointing seasons as they are to have good ones.  Maybe Rittich is just a guy who plays better when he is the starter. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres to make off sheet for Oettinger?

Love the thinking, I just do not see it happening. Dallas has 18 million in cap space with Oettinger and Robertson needing new deals. 
With the Sabres not having their 2023 Third Round Pick, they are limited to an offer less than 4.2 Million or over 10.5. The former would be matched, the latter will that would be interesting. 

I would offer Eric Comrie 4 years at 3 Million AAV. Give Him an opportunity to start, especially if they cannot  pull any other goalies. At the very least they would have a capable back up for four seasons at a reasonable AAV. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.