The Goalie Carousel in the NHL

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Radar said:

My understanding is Holtby has some serious health issues.

That is info I didn't have; thank you.

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Jhonas Enroth…come on down!  You are up next in a game of Sabres goalie roulette!!!

BY THE PADDLE OF ETHRON...

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

·

4h

Joe Sakic let all 32 GMs know he’s ready and willing to move Darcy Kuemper’s rights for a late-round pick. Wouldn’t be shocked if that materializes given the scarcity on the goaltending market.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

·

4h

Joe Sakic let all 32 GMs know he’s ready and willing to move Darcy Kuemper’s rights for a late-round pick. Wouldn’t be shocked if that materializes given the scarcity on the goaltending market.

At this point, I'd even take Kuemper.  Again, Adams is winning the slow bicycle race while everyone else is in the velodrome.  

I want to be clear:  I like some of Adams's moves.  Maybe even most of them.  But this repulsion towards acquiring NHL-ready goaltenders is maddening.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

At this point, I'd even take Kuemper.  Again, Adams is winning the slow bicycle race while everyone else is in the velodrome.  

I want to be clear:  I like some of Adams's moves.  Maybe even most of them.  But this repulsion towards acquiring NHL-ready goaltenders is maddening.

I concur

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don’t think this has to do with Adams waiting it out. Like you saw with Matt Murray it’s going to be tough to get a legit goalie here.

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

I concur

I still think he does something but it is an analytical axiom that you don’t need a great goalie you just need your goalie to play great. Obviously, if you can get one of the elites, that is better.

I don’t necessarily agree with this, but if you want go the data driven approach, I appreciate going all in.

2 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t think this has to do with Adams waiting it out. Like you saw with Matt Murray it’s going to be tough to get a legit goalie here.

Murray wasn’t about Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I still think he does something but it is an analytical axiom that you don’t need a great goalie you just need your goalie to play great. Obviously, if you can get one of the elites, that is better.

I don’t necessarily agree with this, but if you want go the data driven approach, I appreciate going all in.

Murray wasn’t about Buffalo.

What do you mean wasn’t about Buffalo?

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

3rd off-season and goalie situation is still a mess.  If it is so hard, how come Detroit just made it seem so easy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

3rd off-season and goalie situation is still a mess.  If it is so hard, how come Detroit just made it seem so easy?

They didn’t have 11 seasons of futility. And people want to play for Stevie Y.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Exactly. Any of those goalie deals would have made us better, but this one was the best. A 3 year deal for a veteran is perfect too in terms of development curves for UPL and then Levi or Portillo . 

Holtby? Not much left. Toronto and Edmonton cleared cap room so I would guess that's Kuemper and Campbell to one or the other. Doesn't leave much else. 

It's looking like they have no immediate playoff plans. It's not a tank for Bedard, but they might want to be in that lottery. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

They didn’t have 11 seasons of futility. And people want to play for Stevie Y.

BS.  KA doesn’t get a participation medal for “trying hard”, or a pass because his boss has ruined this franchise over the last decade+. 

Either find a goalie capable of being competitive and playing at least 50 games this offseason, or GTFO. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, LabattBlue said:

BS.  KA doesn’t get a participation medal for “trying hard”, or a pass because his boss has ruined this franchise over the last decade+. 

Either find a goalie capable of being competitive and playing at least 50 games this offseason, or GTFO. 

I’m not excusing KA.  We saw yesterday a very public “no” from a mediocre goalie.  It is a real roadblock.  The path is easier for most other teams.  It is also KAs job to overcome it.

I think the only path is via trade and accept that the guy we bring in doesn’t want to be here but has to because he doesn’t have no trade protection.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bingo. Yzerman has name recognition and Detroit doesn't have an 11 year drought of uselessness to contend with.

Then maybe Buffalo should have done a real GM search a few years ago when the Pegula's were feeling snakebitten by the NHL in the wake of Botterill's axing.  Yeah, it's in the past, but this is the price you pay for ownership being paranoid and not willing to hand over the keys to someone versed in a front office.    

Adams is here now, but I think there'd be more interest in veterans going to Buffalo if they and their agents were as confident about his steering this ship.  Not gonna sit well with the fans, but that's what we're coming down to.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not excusing KA.  We saw yesterday a very public “no” from a mediocre goalie.  It is a real roadblock.  The path is easier for most other teams.  It is also KAs job to overcome it.

I think the only path is via trade and accept that the guy we bring in doesn’t want to be here but has to because he doesn’t have no trade protection.

So what stopped him from trading for Husso, and signing him to an extension?  I doubt he had a NMC. 

Can’t just point to Murray, and say…see it’s hard to find a goalie. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I have a feeling any goalie we get will be mediocre to you.

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I have a feeling any goalie we get will be mediocre to you.

Give me some names, and I will let you know?

BTW…mediocre would be a HUGE step up from the crap in the crease the last two seasons. 😉

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what stopped him from trading for Husso, and signing him to an extension?  I doubt he had a NMC. 

Can’t just point to Murray, and say…see it’s hard to find a goalie. 

1. I have no idea, and didn’t excuse him for not bringing in Husso.

2.  Something I never did and said, to whom is this directed?

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

It was a no from Matt Murray, no from Linus Ullmark, no from Portillo and a no from Levi. Holtby, Quick, Gibson, Reimer or Hill at this point as I don’t think we have a legit shot at Keumpfer or Campbell.

So Portillo or Levi would have been an option as a 50 game starter this year if they had signed?   C’mon man. 

Just now, Weave said:

1. I have no idea, and didn’t excuse him for not bringing in Husso.

2.  Something I never did and said, to whom is this directed?

Just a general comment. Sorry. 

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So Portillo or Levi would have been an option as a 50 game starter this year if they had signed?   C’mon man. 

Just a general comment. Sorry. 

I never said they would have started this year. I’m just saying you’re sitting here saying he should be signing someone and we couldn’t even get guys to play in Rochester let alone an NHL starter. I feel it’s going to happen but the quality of player may not be what some are expecting.

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I never said they would have started this year. I’m just saying you’re sitting here saying he should be signing someone and we couldn’t even get guys to play in Rochester let alone an NHL starter. I feel it’s going to happen but the quality of player may not be what some are expecting.

We will see. Tick tick tick….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.