Rd 1, #28 Jiri Kulich (C)

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Whats the time line to be ready now? 2 years ?

Hard to predict, but I’d expect that he spends two full seasons, in the AHL.

I cant imagine that he spends less than one full season down there, even if he is destroying the league.

The real answer is that he will make it to the NHL when he shows that he is good enough to fill a role there.  He has to show something in the AHL before we can predict his NHL arrival.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

To be honest, since he is AHL eligible and already played against men last year, there is very little reason to send him back to the Czechia league as opposed to simply developing him on NA ice in Rochester with your dev staff. 

Hopefully not rushing him into the lineup.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

After the initial disappointment of no Portillo, Levi or Johnson, Rochester sure ratcheted up the interest level with Kisakov, Rosen and Kulich.

(And I still think we will see Johnson and Levi sign and play this season.)

Which is why it was silly for a handful around here to be worrying about Ra-cha-cha's ability to dress 20 players every night back when the off-season began.   The Amerks were ALWAYS going to be able to ice a full team by the time mid-October rolls around.  And likely one that is both competitive & developing the youngsters.

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rochester's? Don't see how they could, Kulich was going to play against men either way this season. 

I get that he's played with grown men but the Czech league and AHL are 2 different animals. Besides that this will be his first taste of north american hockey if I read that right? I know he has to learn at some time but this seems like quite a leap for him right off the bat. I'm sure he's capable I just don't recall such a leap in a short period of time for a guy selected 28th overall but I'm also excited to see what he can bring to Rochester as well.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Would actually be surprised if sending him down ISN'T a tough decision.

He strikes me as the type of player who is gonna make it difficult to deny him the opportunity and given DG’s propensity to reward performance with opportunity, I agree he’s gonna make it a difficult decision. 

Nice problem to have. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he threatens to make the team out of camp. 

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would actually be surprised if sending him down ISN'T a tough decision.

It will be an easy decision. Kulich isn't making the 2022 Buffalo Sabres. 

In 2023 it might become a difficult decision but this year, it's really easy to pencil Kulich into Rochester. He won't be Sabre. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It will be an easy decision. Kulich isn't making the 2022 Buffalo Sabres. 

In 2023 it might become a difficult decision but this year, it's really easy to pencil Kulich into Rochester. He won't be Sabre. 

Not saying he’s gonna make the team, but I won’t be surprised in the least if he has a great camp and preseason and threatens to. But I appreciate where you’re coming from. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not saying he’s gonna make the team, but I won’t be surprised in the least if he has a great camp and preseason and threatens to. But I appreciate where you’re coming from. 

I think what everyone's thinking is that Kulich is one of the very last to get sent down the Rochester, getting extensive time and fun with the big squad. But absolutely he's not making the Sabres unless there are 6 or more injuries at forward in the preseason.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think what everyone's thinking is that Kulich is one of the very last to get sent down the Rochester, getting extensive time and fun with the big squad. But absolutely he's not making the Sabres unless there are 6 or more injuries at forward in the preseason.

I appreciate everyone telling me he isn’t going to make the team as if I made that assertion in the first place. My realistic expectation is that he won’t. But, like I said, I won’t be surprised in the least if he does. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate everyone telling me he isn’t going to make the team as if I made that assertion in the first place. My realistic expectation is that he won’t. But, like I said, I won’t be surprised in the least if he does. 

You wouldn't be surprised that a team that is proclaiming and demonstrating not rushing the kids (e.g., acquired Krebs [playing in the NHL on a then division-leading team] and sent him to ROC, and only called up JJP when 7 forwards were out with injuries/COVID [and Quinn had mono] despite JJP and Quinn having top-flight AHL rookie seasons) is suddenly going to do a complete about face and rush an 18 year-old who has never played on North American size ice in a professional game to start the season against the new-look Debrincat/Giroux Sens who are out to prove that they are the 70-point team that's ready to make the jump in the division, then the best offense in the league Panthers, then the NW road trip that starts with McDavid/Draisaitl and a Calgary squad that is going to be ornery but still super talented... over the likes of proven AHL talents looking to stick in the NHL lineup Krebs, Quinn, or JJP, or the likes of established NHL vets who can kill penalties and float up the lineup and forecheck at the NHL level (Hino, Girgs, Sheahan -- yes, even Bjork)?

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Since I appreciate where you're coming from I'm gonna defend you a bit. 

Kulich has some easily translated skills. His shot and skating. He's probably the strongest physically of the 3 firsts and he's pretty smart. I love Kulich and am really glad we got him. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Since I appreciate where you're coming from I'm gonna defend you a bit. 

Kulich has some easily translated skills. His shot and skating 

I would also add he has a very poised approach to the game. He seems to think the game rather well. 

51 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

You wouldn't be surprised that a team that is proclaiming and demonstrating not rushing the kids (e.g., acquired Krebs [playing in the NHL on a then division-leading team] and sent him to ROC, and only called up JJP when 7 forwards were out with injuries/COVID [and Quinn had mono] despite JJP and Quinn having top-flight AHL rookie seasons) is suddenly going to do a complete about face and rush an 18 year-old who has never played on North American size ice in a professional game to start the season against the new-look Debrincat/Giroux Sens who are out to prove that they are the 70-point team that's ready to make the jump in the division, then the best offense in the league Panthers, then the NW road trip that starts with McDavid/Draisaitl and a Calgary squad that is going to be ornery but still super talented... over the likes of proven AHL talents looking to stick in the NHL lineup Krebs, Quinn, or JJP, or the likes of established NHL vets who can kill penalties and float up the lineup and forecheck at the NHL level (Hino, Girgs, Sheahan -- yes, even Bjork)?

No. Not at all. Shocked, but not surprised. How’s that? 

I am not expecting him to make the team this year.

Kulich does have a vibe similar to JJP, where he was a “steal” according to their draft board, he has played pro vs men for a season, he has done very well vs international peers and has a lot of confidence.

I think he has a great camp and gets accolades from KA saying he was close to making it but needs to hone his skills on NA ice, learn the defensive side of the game and let the team get to know him and see where he may slot in down the road. If he performs well in the AHL he may get a game near the end of the year.

Edited by French Collection

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I am not expecting to make the team this year.

Kulich does have a vibe similar to JJP, where he was a “steal” according to their draft board, he has played pro vs men for a season, he has done very well vs international peers and has a lot of confidence.

I think he has a great camp and gets accolades from KA saying he was close to making it but needs to hone his skills on NA ice, learn the defensive side of the game and let the team get to know him and see where he may slot in down the road. If he performs well in the AHL he may get a game near the end of the year.

You’re right, you won’t make the team this year. Or any year, ya scrub 😬

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.