Rd 1, #28 Jiri Kulich (C)

Brawndo

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

But isn’t he too young for the AHL?  I.e. isn’t he permitted to play only in he NHL or juniors/college/overseas?

The no AHL until age 20 is a CHL/NHL thing.  Euros that aren't under contract can play in the AHL if the player & parent club want.  He has several options this year: Europe, CHL, AHL, & NHL (not necessarily in that order 😉 ).

Just now, nfreeman said:

But isn’t he too young for the AHL?  I.e. isn’t he permitted to play only in he NHL or juniors/college/overseas?

I think that limit is if he is under contract to a team, and it depends on the league. He didn’t play in the CHL, or the SHL where those rules are more strict. Don’t much about the Czech league restrictions. 

Just now, Taro T said:

The no AHL until age 20 is a CHL/NHL thing.  Euros that aren't under contract can play in the AHL if the player & parent club want.  He has several options this year: Europe, CHL, AHL, & NHL (not necessarily in that order 😉 ).

I think the age restriction for the AHL is 18. Since Kulich is already 18, he's good.

• Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I think the age restriction for the AHL is 18. Since Kulich is already 18, he's good.

Correct, which when combined with not having played in the CHL & not being under contract in a Euro league for '22-'23 is why the AHL is an option for him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Taken with the very next pick at 29 but whatever. I'm sure the NHL.com analysis here is wrong and you are right. Get back to me in 3 years. 

NHL.com analysis: Players with Lamoureux's size and skill set are incredibly rare; he's only the third right-shot defenseman 6-7 or taller to be drafted, along with Tyler Myers (No. 12, 2008) and Kristian Kudroc (No. 28, 1999). He skates very well for his size, and is working with a nutritionist and trainer to add strength without losing the mobility and agility that makes him special. His physicality also gives the Coyotes an element missing among their defenseman prospects. With Cooley, Geekie and Lamoureux, the Coyotes added three top-end prospects to their pipeline.

Here's the thing with Lamoureux, he's older (like Savoie) for the class, not good defensively, mediocre offensively, and has no standout skill to rely on other than he's 6'7". You can bet on his size for sure but not in the first round, maybe in the late 2nd and honestly for me, the 5th or 6th.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's the thing with Lamoureux, he's older (like Savoie) for the class, not good defensively, mediocre offensively, and has no standout skill to rely on other than he's 6'7". You can bet on his size for sure but not in the first round, maybe in the late 2nd and honestly for me, the 5th or 6th.

Yeah, even Chara wasn't Chara until about 6 years after he was drafted. 

Of course, this kid panning out in 6 years fits almost ideally with the Yotes timeline.  As their 3rd pick of the 1st, it isn't as crazy as it would've been if they were looking for a guy to be good in 2-3 years and it was their 1st selection.

If he pans out, great.  If not, who in Arizona will remember they made this pick 6 years ago?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Think Zemgus Girgensons.  I suppose that's slightly different since he was already on this side of the pond playing in the USHL, but that's another european who when immediately to the AHL after being drafted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Think Zemgus Girgensons.  I suppose that's slightly different since he was already on this side of the pond playing in the USHL, but that's another european who when immediately to the AHL after being drafted.

True.

Again, the no AHL until age 20 is STRICTLY a part of the NHL/CHL agreement.  It does not apply to other feeder / major league players.  (Realize you know this, just stating for clarity for others reading this thread.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.

Again, the no AHL until age 20 is STRICTLY a part of the NHL/CHL agreement.  It does not apply to other feeder / major league players.  (Realize you know this, just stating for clarity for others reading this thread.)

Right, so if he DOES play for Cape Breton this year he's locked into the CHL for a minimum of two years. Unless he's super not ready that seems unlikely.

Edited by Contempt

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

Right, so if he DOES play for Cape Breton this year he's locked into the CHL for a minimum of two years. Unless he's super not ready that seems unlikely.

Not positive, but pretty sure that's not the case.  If the player goes to the CHL AFTER being drafted to the NHL, quite certain the AHL is an option in the 2nd year.  Otherwise those players would look to the USHL to play in NA if not ready for the pros.

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

That shouldn't be the case.  It should revert to his status at the point he was drafted.  I'm trying to think of specific examples.  I want to say Alex Nylander, but he's a weird case where he was just on loan to the CHL team.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, even Chara wasn't Chara until about 6 years after he was drafted. 

Of course, this kid panning out in 6 years fits almost ideally with the Yotes timeline.  As their 3rd pick of the 1st, it isn't as crazy as it would've been if they were looking for a guy to be good in 2-3 years and it was their 1st selection.

If he pans out, great.  If not, who in Arizona will remember they made this pick 6 years ago?

Which would have been the same argument for us. I personally don't think he takes 6 years, more like 4 maybe 3 to be able to slot in to the bottom and keep developing. 

I'm actually more pissed that we passed on Warren too. So I can accept passing on Lamoureaux in the first round, we picked a skill guy so fair enough, but then also passing on Warren in the second? I'm not happy with that. 

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I'm getting excited too much, best case they all 3 are in the NHL in 3 years. 

If all 3 are in the NHL, then we really had a problem in developing what we already have. It likely means there were 3 failures already on the current roster. What KA is trying to produce is a logjam to get on the team. Right now we basically have a bare cupboard of prospects because most are already on the Sabres. The Amerks roster has been raided. We need to fill that hole back up. I hope Kulich plays for the Amerks for the next 3 years and we don’t need to call him up. 

It will be interesting to see him at the development camp against some older players.  It might help decide whether he goes to the A or plays in the CHL or goes home.  

Considering his International experience, I’m wondering if the A is the most likely scenario.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I'm getting excited too much, best case they all 3 are in the NHL in 3 years. 

That maybe realistic but I don’t think that’s best case.  One of these years maybe we will have an ROR guy we draft late first/second that  has the kind of camp/preseason/early season success that makes it ridiculous to consider taking out of the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If all 3 are in the NHL, then we really had a problem in developing what we already have. It likely means there were 3 failures already on the current roster. What KA is trying to produce is a logjam to get on the team. Right now we basically have a bare cupboard of prospects because most are already on the Sabres. The Amerks roster has been raided. We need to fill that hole back up. I hope Kulich plays for the Amerks for the next 3 years and we don’t need to call him up. 

It would be nice to have depth where a guy that can’t make your team is too good for the AHL so he is traded for something you need.

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Probably realistic.  But thinking bigger, wouldn't it be something though if he were to Ryan O'Reilly his draft year?  Doubt he can, but that would be sweet.

That’s asking a lot especially with Tage, Mitts, Cozens, Asplund, Krebs and Girgensons already in the NHL

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

He comes across as having some Peterka “Warrior” in his makeup and game.

He does.  After Kasper this was my favorite player in the draft who I thought we had a reasonable shot at.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Savoie and Östlund, but there is something about this kid that the team and the fans will gravitate to.  He's one of those guys a coach loves because he can carry out anything the coach needs done; score, create, kill penalties, stop the opponents best line; done, done and done.  I don't think his ceiling is as high as Savoie or even Östlund (at least as a playmaker), but he could become our Bergeron type player (no pressure kid).  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

He comes across as having some Peterka “Warrior” in his makeup and game.

That's how I see him. Keep in mind that JJ Peterka has had a meteoric rise in development and Kulich may or may not. Want to see him on NA ice where he will get to pucks faster but have less room.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.