Jump to content

Rd 1, Pick 16: Noah Östlund (C)


Brawndo
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Kisakov, Poltapov, Rosen? Not that familiar with them.

 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

 

 

Really don’t think this board understands what kind of player Poltapov is.

He forechecks and disrupts like Vaclav Varada, but also might have enough skill to play in a top 6.

Right on time mr Duda and I thank u 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I see it, Adams has quietly stacked our prospect pool to have a team with the quality to ice out 4 '2nd' lines any night.

Just imagine adding Bedard or Michkov to that.   Also Michkov is singed in Russia until 2025 I hear, so some teams might not draft him top 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The way I see it, Adams has quietly stacked our prospect pool to have a team with the quality to ice out 4 '2nd' lines any night.

Just imagine adding Bedard or Michkov to that.   Also Michkov is singed in Russia until 2025 I hear, so some teams might not draft him top 3.

0% 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Definitely agree here. Loved seeing them add that pure playmaker to the system in Östlund. Krebs, Östlund do look like the two forwards in system who best fit the “pure playmaker” description.

Quinn, Cozens, Savoie, Kulich, Peterka, Mittelstadt.. all these guys seem to have pretty balanced pass-to-shoot preferences. (Though if Savoie really does become the next Briere, he’d lean “pass”)

I suppose on roster, Tuch is a guy who is pass-first. Looking at the roster/system, outside Skinner we don’t seem to have a ton of “shoot first, sniper” type players, either. Kisakov, Poltapov, Rosen? Not that familiar with them. 

Really, the Sabres definitely seem focused on acquiring forwards with balance. Seems to be the name of the game, that versatility. Quinn being the poster child. He seems to both shoot and pass equally well. 

What about the superfly TNT?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Definitely agree here. Loved seeing them add that pure playmaker to the system in Östlund. Krebs, Östlund do look like the two forwards in system who best fit the “pure playmaker” description.

Quinn, Cozens, Savoie, Kulich, Peterka, Mittelstadt.. all these guys seem to have pretty balanced pass-to-shoot preferences. (Though if Savoie really does become the next Briere, he’d lean “pass”)

I suppose on roster, Tuch is a guy who is pass-first. Looking at the roster/system, outside Skinner we don’t seem to have a ton of “shoot first, sniper” type players, either. Kisakov, Poltapov, Rosen? Not that familiar with them. 

Really, the Sabres definitely seem focused on acquiring forwards with balance. Seems to be the name of the game, that versatility. Quinn being the poster child. He seems to both shoot and pass equally well. 

Neuchev would definitely qualify for this, I believe he led the MHL in shots this past year. Oloffson is also still a sniper, though his game has rounded a bit over the past couple years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The way I see it, Adams has quietly stacked our prospect pool to have a team with the quality to ice out 4 '2nd' lines any night.

Just imagine adding Bedard or Michkov to that.   Also Michkov is singed in Russia until 2025 I hear, so some teams might not draft him top 3.

I don't mind imagining but I don't think i want to be in a spot to draft Bedard because of the new Move-Up Limitation. 

Though, i still think the Sabres will finish out of the playoffs, I HOPE they are competing for a spot right till the end of the season.  Finishing with the 14,15 or 16th worst record in the league.

They would have to finish 11th or worse to have a shot at Bedard.   Michkov might drop but not to where the Sabres will likely (IMHO) be drafting.

 

 

 

 

19 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

0% 

I think im going to have to add this to your long list of failed guarantees.  

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What about the superfly TNT?

Somehow escaped my field of vision - he’d be one I’d have down as a shooter-first, for sure

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Neuchev would definitely qualify for this, I believe he led the MHL in shots this past year. Oloffson is also still a sniper, though his game has rounded a bit over the past couple years.

I think VO can and does snipe but I don’t see him as a shoot first player - I think the stats bear that out, too. On the PP he’s a trigger man but ES I see him dish as much as shoot. Probably more, in fact 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Somehow escaped my field of vision - he’d be one I’d have down as a shooter-first, for sure

I think VO can and does snipe but I don’t see him as a shoot first player - I think the stats bear that out, too. On the PP he’s a trigger man but ES I see him dish as much as shoot. Probably more, in fact 

His game certainly has rounded out a great deal. I wonder how much our perception of VO was changed this season when he went 30 games without a goal due to injury. He didn’t really have his shot, so was definitely dishing more than shooting for that time period. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

His game certainly has rounded out a great deal. I wonder how much our perception of VO was changed this season when he went 30 games without a goal due to injury. He didn’t really have his shot, so was definitely dishing more than shooting for that time period. 

It’s a good point and I’m sure that probably did factor into perceptions. Personally though I’ve been on the “VO is an all around player” bandwagon for a while 

As I’m sure anyone on here posting about trading VO might have noticed 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don't mind imagining but I don't think i want to be in a spot to draft Bedard because of the new Move-Up Limitation. 

Though, i still think the Sabres will finish out of the playoffs, I HOPE they are competing for a spot right till the end of the season.  Finishing with the 14,15 or 16th worst record in the league.

They would have to finish 11th or worse to have a shot at Bedard.   Michkov might drop but not to where the Sabres will likely (IMHO) be drafting.

 

 

 

 

I think im going to have to add this to your long list of failed guarantees.  

aatu raty agrees 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

His game certainly has rounded out a great deal. I wonder how much our perception of VO was changed this season when he went 30 games without a goal due to injury. He didn’t really have his shot, so was definitely dishing more than shooting for that time period. 

And I wonder if that indirectly improved his game by forcing him to be more rounded.

I actually thought Victor’s October, prior to the injury was the best - most complete - he’d played to that point in the NHL, but the 10 ES points in April probably surpassed that. The fact that 8 of them were assists certainly contradicts the stereotype.

I think there’s a good case to be made that VO is the most underrated breakout threat on the team next year. The simple fact that he has averaged 24 goals and 31 assists over 82 games points to a career year if he stays healthy.

But a deeper look shows he put up 18/16/34 in the 36 games he played in October, March and April - the time he was able to shoot. The fact that he has never in his career had a drought like he had in the middle of this season feeds the case it was injury related. Add the fact his linemates are likely to be improved and 30 goals and 60 points is not out of the question.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

And I wonder if that indirectly improved his game by forcing him to be more rounded.

I actually thought Victor’s October, prior to the injury was the best - most complete - he’d played to that point in the NHL, but the 10 ES points in April probably surpassed that. The fact that 8 of them were assists certainly contradicts the stereotype.

I think there’s a good case to be made that VO is the most underrated breakout threat on the team next year. The simple fact that he has averaged 24 goals and 31 assists over 82 games points to a career year if he stays healthy.

But a deeper look shows he put up 18/16/34 in the 36 games he played in October, March and April - the time he was able to shoot. The fact that he has never in his career had a drought like he had in the middle of this season feeds the case it was injury related. Add the fact his linemates are likely to be improved and 30 goals and 60 points is not out of the question.

If only he would forecheck. I don't need him to hit people, just apply a little pressure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

And I wonder if that indirectly improved his game by forcing him to be more rounded.

I actually thought Victor’s October, prior to the injury was the best - most complete - he’d played to that point in the NHL, but the 10 ES points in April probably surpassed that. The fact that 8 of them were assists certainly contradicts the stereotype.

I think there’s a good case to be made that VO is the most underrated breakout threat on the team next year. The simple fact that he has averaged 24 goals and 31 assists over 82 games points to a career year if he stays healthy.

But a deeper look shows he put up 18/16/34 in the 36 games he played in October, March and April - the time he was able to shoot. The fact that he has never in his career had a drought like he had in the middle of this season feeds the case it was injury related. Add the fact his linemates are likely to be improved and 30 goals and 60 points is not out of the question.

Really believe that the PP goal anomaly has been locked in people's heads and that haven't been able to see his growth beyond PP specialist for whatever reason.

People forget that when Reinhart showed that he was a goal scoring C, that it was Olofsson feeding him on the majority of those goals.  They also forget, as you mentioned, that he looked really good in October before getting injured and again in April when he was finally healthy.

Choose Mitts as most likely to breakout, but it easily could be Vic; and the rationale for both is they were both playing very good hockey at the end of Granato's 1st year and both were playing very well until breaking last year.  Had they not broken, both likely would've already broken out.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am all in on VO having a big year if he stays healthy, which unfortunately hasn’t always been the case.  I think DM will be astute and well able to maximize his contributions, and I think VO has a lot of offensive game.

It’s also quite possible that one or more of the young guys aren’t ready for prime time.  That plus injuries could put VO into quite a bit of ice time — with, as noted upthread, high-skilled line mates.

I do think @Taro T is being a bit generous in his description of Mitts’ season last year though.  I need to see Mitts really deliver for an extended period this year before I drink that kool aid.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, Taro T said:

Really believe that the PP goal anomaly has been locked in people's heads and that haven't been able to see his growth beyond PP specialist for whatever reason.

People forget that when Reinhart showed that he was a goal scoring C, that it was Olofsson feeding him on the majority of those goals.  They also forget, as you mentioned, that he looked really good in October before getting injured and again in April when he was finally healthy.

Choose Mitts as most likely to breakout, but it easily could be Vic; and the rationale for both is they were both playing very good hockey at the end of Granato's 1st year and both were playing very well until breaking last year.  Had they not broken, both likely would've already broken out.

Agree totally. I’ll add I think VO has already “broken out”. A 7th round pick putting up a what, 50/60 point pace. That’s out. 

He’s already been among the team leaders in points. 

VO is such a weird case of perception 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 11:28 AM, Crusader1969 said:

I don't mind imagining but I don't think i want to be in a spot to draft Bedard because of the new Move-Up Limitation. 

Though, i still think the Sabres will finish out of the playoffs, I HOPE they are competing for a spot right till the end of the season.  Finishing with the 14,15 or 16th worst record in the league.

They would have to finish 11th or worse to have a shot at Bedard.   Michkov might drop but not to where the Sabres will likely (IMHO) be drafting.

You never know what Kevyn might trade for (or who he might trade with).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 1:24 PM, Thorny said:

I’ve been on the “VO is an all around player” bandwagon

I've said it before:  When he was first injured (which was before TNT really kicked in if you recall), I lamented the loss because it was my feeling he was our best forward at that point.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:19 PM, dudacek said:

I actually thought Victor’s October, prior to the injury was the best - most complete - he’d played to that point in the NHL

Or.... what he said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, Hank said:

If only he would forecheck. I don't need him to hit people, just apply a little pressure. 

Although he *does* backcheck.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, Taro T said:

Choose Mitts as most likely to breakout, but it easily could be Vic; and the rationale for both is they were both playing very good hockey at the end of Granato's 1st year and both were playing very well until breaking last year.  Had they not broken, both likely would've already broken out.

Hq Both Is Good GIF

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2022 at 6:17 PM, Thorny said:

VO also played the *FULL* season 2 seasons ago. 56 game season, 56 games played. 

That was also the worst production of his career.  I did the math:  In 4 NHL seasons, VO has had PPG numbers of 0.67, 0.78, 0.57, 0.68, for an overall average of 0.68.  Face it, he peaked under Ralph Krueger and is a bust now.  😉

 

 

Seriously though:  A 7th rounder at well over 0.50 PPG EVERY year?  I'll take a few more of those, please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...