Rd 1, Pick 16: Noah Östlund (C)

Brawndo

Just now, Curt said:

Don’t love this pick, but don’t hate it either.

I think there is a real chance Ostlund can develop into a dynamic offensive player.  Reminds me of Sebastian Aho in a way.  Needs physical development.

Feels like Adams is really swinging for offensive upside with these first 2 picks.

Reminds me of Rosen and Kisakov last year. Lots of talent but physically immature.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Can we somehow pull up all the negative comments posters made 5 years and 6 years ago about all the 1st round picks, and see how accurate they are as NHLers today?

Unfortunately the posters would most likely be accurate. Not saying this is the case with this crop, I really don't know the last 2 players we drafted that well yet.

• Like (+1) 1

I like this pick much better than Rosen year.  I think Krebs is a very good comparison and give this kid a little time, we'll have another very good playmaking center on our hands.  What a nice problem to have.  Remember folks this is the guy who was feeding Lekkerimaki and Ohgren.  

He and Kulich I thought would be our 2 top C options at 16.  I'm absolutely thrilled we somehow ended up with both players.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

You can’t pick 18 year old kids with the assumption we will still have ***** goaltending 4 years from now when they may or may not be difference makers.

This is correct.

Also correct:  They can trade picks for goalies.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Reminds me of Rosen and Kisakov last year. Lots of talent but physically immature.

Yep. This is a prime example of what Adams talked about earlier today. He wants upside and projection. It’s not about what Östlund is today but what he is at 22-23 when he has filled out and matured. They are betting that at that point he will be dynamic when you combine an elite brain with a man’s body. Interesting to see him develop.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

His stat sheet from this year looks quite a bit better than Rosen and he's a year younger. Plus, going by memory he's about 10lb bigger than Rosen was last year.

Still we got him at 16 vs 13 for Rosen. 

Comparisons to last year's bad pic aside, he's by no means a sure-fire player in the league... but it looks like a good calculated gamble.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Don’t love this pick, but don’t hate it either.

I think there is a real chance Ostlund can develop into a dynamic offensive player.  Reminds me of Sebastian Aho in a way.  Needs physical development.

Feels like Adams is really swinging for offensive upside with these first 2 picks.

About a month ago I brought up Ostlund on here as a guy to watch for and made this exact comparison: He was the Aho to Ohgren’s Puljujarvi and Lekkerimaki’s Laine.

Like Aho, he was overlooked for being less of the physical specimen. Hopefully, like Aho, he will turn out to be the real brains of the operation.

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

When they're so young and so many what ifs it seems KA gravitates to high motor, hockey smarts and team players. He certainly is not worried about height and weight.

He’s got the mind and the skill and he competes. He will get bigger and he should get more physically confident.

A couple years back I gravitated to a guy who seemed to generally be ranked too low for 8, but who also just really just seemed to get it. He was a guy I wondered if people were overlooking. That guy was Jack Quinn.

This year, Ostlund was that guy for me at 16. He has so much potential for growth.

Old-timers will remember the guy he reminds me most of: Igor Larionov.

I really like this pick.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

About a month ago I brought up Ostlund on here as a guy to watch for and made this exact comparison: He was the Aho to Ohgren’s Puljujarvi and Lekkerimaki’s Laine.

Like Aho, he was overlooked for being less of the physical specimen. Hopefully, like Aho, he will turn out to be the real brains of the operation.

He’s got the mind and the skill and he competes. He will get bigger and he should get more physically confident.

A couple years back I gravitated to a guy who seemed to generally be ranked too low for 8, but who also just really just seemed to get it. He was a guy I wondered if people were overlooking. That guy was Jack Quinn.

This year, Ostlund was that guy for me at 16. He has so much potential for growth.

I really like this pick.

Larionov is who I thought of too. I think Östlund could be special if he fills out. He has that computer like mind like Igor had. The Sportsnet guys really liked him as someone who makes everyone around him better.

Edited by Flashsabre

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I really like this pick.

That post of yours stood out when the pick was made.  Hoping you're right & he can up his game like Aho did when he fills out.

Liking the draft so far.  Would like to see a D at 41, maybe Chesley continues to slide.

Edited by Taro T

I'm not a huge fan of this pick, but I'll openly admit I know very little about these guys.  Physical tools are something I can get too focused on, I like it when I hear speed, speed, speed.

Hopefully he'll work out well, he might.  Now on to the rest of the draft and offseason.

10 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Seeing what? 

ESPN kept showing her "best available" players, based on her rankings of the players in the draft. She wasn't even close.  LGR, Rakish, myself and others did a better job at ranking the players from simply reading scouting reports and watching video on the internet.    

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

ESPN kept showing her "best available" players, based on her rankings of the players in the draft. She wasn't even close.  LGR, Rakish, myself and others did a better job at ranking the players from simply reading scouting reports and watching video on the internet.    

I kid. I could look at her "stats" all day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are you serious? LOL her ranking was a list of best prospects according to whatever figure of merit she or her company used, not the order of which they would be drafted. Nobody has the answer to this today. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.