Rd 1, Pick 16: Noah Östlund (C)

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Fifteen years ago.  I loved it too.  They also had, you know, A GOALIE BEHIND THEM,.

You can’t pick 18 year old kids with the assumption we will still have ***** goaltending 4 years from now when they may or may not be difference makers.

Edited by Derrico

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You won't like this but... his physical game is not great. Knocked off pucks easily, doesn't battle through contact well, you def don't want him in a board battle.

So what?  just have him play away from the boards and restrict his puck battles to a minimum 

Well after some reading this sure seemed like a guy we may have got at 28?  Ugh.  I guess I have to trust our analytics guys and give them benefit of the doubt.  Sure seems like he was projected to go late first at best…..

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Ostlund. 

He was what 24 on my board, I mean I guess a little. I think there were a few safer picks and that with Ostlund, like Rosen, you are really banking on him adding strength and developing the high end skills into a good nhl package.

This is from draftin Europe who usually do a pretty good job. 

“03. NOAH OSTLUND - C, 5’10”, 164, 11-Mar-2004, Left Type of Player
Quick, competitive and very skilled two-way centerman who makes his linemates better.
Path to the Draft
  A Draftin Europe's big favorite since 2020, Östlund has not let down our high expectations since. He had to fight
 through different injuries during this year and one could argue he didn't take as much of a step forward as some of
 his peers, but finished his draft season in style with a strong showing at the U18s despite a sore shoulder (a
 carryover from the Swedish junior playoffs), leading his team to an unlikely Gold Medal.
 Strengths
 Östlund is a natural, he’s one of those players that have an instinctive and thorough understanding of the game. At
 15 he was already showing on-ice awareness that most pros don't possess. It’s an easy trait to recognize, not only
 in his play with the puck, but also in his play without it. Noah uses his IQ and vision to be a consistent defensive
 factor despite limited size, displaying tremendous on-ice attitude and work rate. He is relentless in his efforts and
 that attitude is, in fact, what we feel really separates Östlund from other prospects. It's particularly rare to find a
 teenager who plays such a skillful game and at the same time possesses the will (and the cardio) to go after the
 puck time after time. The combination of that innate perseverance with his ability to read the play and his deft stick
 work allows him to take away many pucks from the opposition.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Well after some reading this sure seemed like a guy we may have got at 28?  Ugh.  I guess I have to trust our analytics guys and give them benefit of the doubt.  Sure seems like he was projected to go late first at best…..

His consolidated ranking was... 19 so idk about late 1st.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He was what 24 on my board, I mean I guess a little. I think there were a few safer picks and that with Ostlund, like Rosen, you are really banking on him adding strength and developing the high end skills into a good nhl package.

well that review that was posted had that relentless quality attributed to him.

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t love this pick, but don’t hate it either.

I think there is a real chance Ostlund can develop into a dynamic offensive player.  Reminds me of Sebastian Aho in a way.  Needs physical development.

Feels like Adams is really swinging for offensive upside with these first 2 picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.