Rd 1, Pick 9: Matthew Savoie (C)

Brawndo

On 7/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, nfreeman said:

On Sportnet they compared him to Mitch Marner.   

Offensively not a terrible consideration, but I feel like Marner lives more on the outside.  Where if you watch a ton of Savoie, he thrives on driving the middle towards the net.  In addition, I also think Savoie is a much more aggressive with his stick.  

On 7/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, LGR4GM said:

He's fast with the puck.

Awesome video.  I am really liking this kid. 

He may be on the short side but he doesn’t play small.   He takes the play to the other team.  

Hoping just 1 year more in Junior, then a year in the AHL, then he is ready.   

3 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Offensively not a terrible consideration, but I feel like Marner lives more on the outside.  Where if you watch a ton of Savoie, he thrives on driving the middle towards the net.  In addition, I also think Savoie is a much more aggressive with his stick.  

More like Doug Gilmour? 

On 7/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, Flashsabre said:

I wouldn’t expect to see much of him at development camp. If he was just medically cleared but has to gain strength back in his shoulder I doubt he does much on ice.

He's needs to be ready for training camp for tryouts for canada.

He should be sitting out

48 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

Savoie finished first overall in the event’s combine testing, with the fastest time in four different tests and a top-five score in six. 

https://kubotatopprospects.ca/article/2022-kubota-chlnhl-top-prospects-perform-in-sport-testing-combine

https://www.lines.com/nhl/drafts/player/matthew-savoie-36479

I thought  Jack Hughes was first in everything ?

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Savoie to attend Sabres dev camp but will not skate.

That’s a little disappointing but it makes sense. He’s playing in the juniors right? 

Edit: NM, just attending the camp for NEXT year’s tournament, I guess. Suppose he’ll skate in that camp.

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Savoie finished first overall in the event’s combine testing, with the fastest time in four different tests and a top-five score in six. 

https://kubotatopprospects.ca/article/2022-kubota-chlnhl-top-prospects-perform-in-sport-testing-combine

https://www.lines.com/nhl/drafts/player/matthew-savoie-36479

He finished first in two categories when doing drills with the puck...that is impressive. Basically he is better with the puck on his stick than not.

FWIW, Scott Wheeler of the Athletic was on WGR with Bulldog yesterday and said he though Savoie would be in juniors next year and then would be ready for the NHL.  He also said Savoie has elite speed and skill and has the potential to be a "top of lineup" forward.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, nfreeman said:

FWIW, Scott Wheeler of the Athletic was on WGR with Bulldog yesterday and said he though Savoie would be in juniors next year and then would be ready for the NHL.  He also said Savoie has elite speed and skill and has the potential to be a "top of lineup" forward.

I agree with Wheeler on this one.  Savoie has to play juniors the next 2 seasons if he doesn't make the NHL.  He dominated the league last year.  How much better will he be this coming season.  I can see him spending the season working on his two way game to help get NHL ready much like Reinhart did.  

Now the question is which forward gets voted off the island to make room for him?

I hope Savoie, Bloom and Nadeau have good camps and bring some confidence to their Team Canada U20 summer camp.

I think there are opportunities for guys to make the August team. Last year’s roster has been grandfathered by the IIHF but there are players who will skip the tournament to focus on their NHL careers. Power is one of them but I can see a few more doing the same thing. Perhaps their NHL teams expect them to make their clubs and don’t want to risk injuries before training camp. I can see MacTavish, Guenther and Perfetti possibly pulling out.

• 2 weeks later...

From Scott Wheeler’s latest ranking of the top prospects outside the NHL (Owen Power topped the list):

9. Matt Savoie, C/RW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 9, 2022)

Savoie’s game has the potential to thrill as much as any player’s on this list. Inside the offensive zone, he’s strong. He’s got extremely quick side-to-side hands that help him beat defenders one-on-one off of cuts. He’s got an NHL shot (which he can place with pinpoint accuracy from a bad angle and rip by a goalie clean from a distance, but he also loves to change up and slide five-hole). He does an excellent job creating plays to the slot out of traffic. He’s a burning skater with explosiveness and quick three-step acceleration that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty). He’s a soft small-area passer who blends deception into his movements.

And then on top of those things, he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He’s always engaged, he keeps his feet moving, he plays with a ton of energy, and he finishes all of his checks and knocks his fair share of players over despite being on the smaller side. He’s also sturdier on his feet than his listed height might suggest, which helps him play between checks.

I see a dynamic, high-tempo, top-six, goal-creating package. He’s an exciting talent, with clear PP1 upside due to his shooting/skill package and clear five-on-five upside because of his skating and motor. Even in games where the points don’t fall, he’s almost always dangerous and threatening on the ice — and he’s seldom going to leave you wanting more. Because of the way he plays, I fully expect him to stick at his natural centre position in the NHL, too. His speed might even make him a useful penalty killer to give him all-situations value as well

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From Scott Wheeler’s latest ranking of the top prospects outside the NHL (Owen Power topped the list):

Savoie’s game has the potential to thrill as much as any player’s on this list. Inside the offensive zone, he’s strong. He’s got extremely quick side-to-side hands that help him beat defenders one-on-one off of cuts. He’s got an NHL shot (which he can place with pinpoint accuracy from a bad angle and rip by a goalie clean from a distance, but he also loves to change up and slide five-hole). He does an excellent job creating plays to the slot out of traffic. He’s a burning skater with explosiveness and quick three-step acceleration that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty). He’s a soft small-area passer who blends deception into his movements.

And then on top of those things, he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He’s always engaged, he keeps his feet moving, he plays with a ton of energy, and he finishes all of his checks and knocks his fair share of players over despite being on the smaller side. He’s also sturdier on his feet than his listed height might suggest, which helps him play between checks.

I see a dynamic, high-tempo, top-six, goal-creating package. He’s an exciting talent, with clear PP1 upside due to his shooting/skill package and clear five-on-five upside because of his skating and motor. Even in games where the points don’t fall, he’s almost always dangerous and threatening on the ice — and he’s seldom going to leave you wanting more. Because of the way he plays, I fully expect him to stick at his natural centre position in the NHL, too. His speed might even make him a useful penalty killer to give him all-situations value as well

Yes please.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh Danny Boy 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I want this to happen.  

• Agree 1

As much as I like Savoie’s potential,  he is not the 9th best player not currently in the NHL.  NHL network has him 49th.  

Wheeler has him rated above Quinn, also a 9th overall pick, who is already a proven pro hockey player that just tore up the AHL. He is also rated ahead of JJP.  NHL Network has Quinn 13 and JJP 23.  Those rankings seem more realistic as they reflect current development.

Until we see Savoie succeed against men he is just a pile of potential.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As much as I like Savoie’s potential,  he is not the 9th best player not currently in the NHL.  NHL network has him 49th.  

Wheeler has him rated above Quinn, also a 9th overall pick, who is already a proven pro hockey player that just tore up the AHL. He is also rated ahead of JJP.  NHL Network has Quinn 13 and JJP 23.  Those rankings seem more realistic as they reflect current development.

Until we see Savoie succeed against men he is just a pile of potential.  

Everyone listed on all the prospects lists around the league is just a pile of potential.