Rd 1, Pick 9: Matthew Savoie (C)

Brawndo

He did have a bad concussion when he was 15 playing in the dub. But it hasn’t hampered him. He had a shoulder injury in the playoffs when he was tripped and fell into the ref who was right there.

He was the guy I wanted at #9 but I learned from the Rossi-QUInn draft not to get too excited when Adams announced from the Winnipeg Ice...😀

He gives me Briere vibes if he can get anywhere close to Briere that would be great.

Edited by Flashsabre

Just now, French Collection said:

Not able to watch live so I recorded.

I love this pick, lots of skill. Plays C as well.

I don’t wanna spoil your night, drafting enforcers the rest of the draft really sucked.

• Haha (+1) 6

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m good with whatever you decide. You remember your position better than I do. Which, I hate to break it to you, that’s a ***** really low bar. Lol

We're on.  I should be able to save up $50 by 2026 if I'm wrong.

Couldn’t say how fast he actually is on a stopwatch, but Savoie is the definition of plays fast.

He’s just as fast with the puck as he is without it. He attacks the game, is fearless and his hands are as good as anyone in this entire draft.

He led the entire draft class in goals and was just 3 behind Wright in points, well ahead of the rest of the pack and ahead of Sam Reinhart and Dylan Cozens in their U18 years.

And people should not be overlooking the sheer entertainment value he brings to the game.

Best player left on the board.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Couldn’t say how fast he actually is on a stopwatch, but Savoie is the definition of plays fast.

He’s just as fast with the puck as he is without it. He attacks the game, is fearless and his hands are as good as anyone in this entire draft.

He led the entire draft class in goals and was just 3 behind Wright in points, well ahead of the rest of the pack and ahead of Sam Reinhart and Dylan Cozens in their U18 years.

And people should not be overlooking the sheer entertainment value he brings to the game.

I think they said something similar on Sportsnet. Should put fans in the seats or something. Definitely has a fast exciting skillset. Considering who was already taken in the first 8 I didn't see a better option. At one point many scouts had him in the top 3. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

He was probably the best player left on the board. If Savoie is 6' tall, he isn't available with the grit and skill package he blends together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On Sportnet they compared him to Mitch Marner.   

Skill-wise that would be good, I think Savoie might show more intensity though.   (Trying not to overuse the “grit” word).  

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

On Sportnet they compared him to Mitch Marner.   

Ever notice that they never compare a draftee to just an average NHLer, yet for most of them, that's their ceiling?

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ever notice that they never compare a draftee to just an average NHLer, yet for most of them, that's their ceiling?

Nor do they compare them to AHLers or guys that play in the Swiss League.  Even more of them picked outside the 1st round have that for a ceiling.  What's your point?

They're selling the sizzle.  Nobody wants to hear their team just grabbed the next David Cooper.

• SDS changed the title to Rd 1, Pick 9: Matthew Savoie (C)
14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nor do they compare them to AHLers or guys that play in the Swiss League.  Even more of them picked outside the 1st round have that for a ceiling.  What's your point?

They're selling the sizzle.  Nobody wants to hear their team just grabbed the next David Cooper.

That is my point!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Right?  D man, 6 foot, skates well...Scott Niedermayer. Like, ok maybe tone it down and he's more like Brian Rafalski. 

• Like (+1) 1

Where is Savoie expected to play next year? Any chance we see him in Rochester or does he need another year in the WHL?

Nevermind: caught up with the rest of the class and see that Savoie is either playing in the W or the NHL until the year he turns 20.

https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

Edited by ISmelikZhitnik