Senators Goalie Matt Murray says No to a Sabres Trade

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

Personally, he can ***** right off.

Another thought: Maybe he only wants to go somewhere where the team plays a "low event" style that will enable him to rehabilitate his reputation, future value. He might look at Buffalo's open ice style and young roster, and think "no thanks."

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Good. Just say no to Murray. (Even if it had been #16 to Ottawa for #7 and Murray) -- plus whatever balancing picks to make it work. Let another team take his contract and Hutton-level play.

Would've had no issues w/ Murray as 3 & Anderson 2 (or vice versa).  They would still need a 1 if he came in.  And believe Adams is aware of that.  Had this trade happened it was about stocking the pipeline and providing insurance against Adams getting Adams'd again in search of a 1.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-penguins-level-of-interest-in-marc-andre-fleury-matt-murray-trade-talk-t-j-watt-rated-tops-at-his-position/

Speaking of Friedman’s podcast, he had an alarmingly bad realization about former Penguins goalie Matt Murray.

He dabbled in some discussion about the Senators using the No. 7 overall draft pick as grease to get a team to take Murray off their hands. In other words, the theory being that the Senators would give up a top-10 draft pick, but only if that team took his hefty $6.25 million contract, too.

Friedman didn’t endorse that idea, nor did he say that such a move is pending. But the fact that this kind of conversation is even possible is a sign of how dramatically Murray has fallen since the 2017 Stanley Cup Finals.

He went from a 22-year-old phenom with two rings on his fingers to being talked about as a forced toss-in on a trade for a top-10 pick.

It seems unbelievable. Until you look at Murray’s numbers. In two years with the Senators, he is 15-25-3, with a .899 save percentage and a 3.23 goals against average.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I didn't see anything about the 7th. I read "an additional asset".

See the bold by GoBills. It's a rumor with a lot of meat on the bone.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Another thought: Maybe he only wants to go somewhere where the team plays a "low event" style that will enable him to rehabilitate his reputation, future value. He might look at Buffalo's open ice style and young roster, and think "no thanks."

But which team?

The only teams willing to take him on for the draft capital will either be young (Sabres) or in some form of tanking process. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would've had no issues w/ Murray as 3 & Anderson 2 (or vice versa).  They would still need a 1 if he came in.  And believe Adams is aware of that.  Had this trade happened it was about stocking the pipeline and providing insurance against Adams getting Adams'd again in search of a 1.

Would they still acquire a 1, then though? I'm not so sure. Murray and Anderson provide the NHL starts, UPL gets the call-up.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

See the bold by GoBills. It's a rumor with a lot of meat on the bone.

Meat on the bones?

"He dabbled in some discussion....."

I'd say Ottawa isn't giving up the 7th OA to drop Murray. But even still, the early reports concerning Buffalo were "an additional asset", that could be anything. It could be a new garden hose for Terry so he can "de-link" anything linking to the Sabres.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Would they still acquire a 1, then though? I'm not so sure. Murray and Anderson provide the NHL starts, UPL gets the call-up.

If WE all know that the combo of Anderson, Murray, & UPL provides comparable GTing to what they had last year, which even Adams admits wasn't good enough; WTF wouldn't Adams realize this?

There's no way he'd walk into a presser announcing that trade saying he's got the GTing figured out for this year.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Meat on the bones?

"He dabbled in some discussion....."

I'd say Ottawa isn't giving up the 7th OA to drop Murray. But even still, the early reports concerning Buffalo were "an additional asset", that could be anything. It could be a new garden hose for Terry so he can "de-link" anything linking to the Sabres.

You get a draft pick and a goalie that is still serviceable (Anderson numbers) and term that fit's perfect with the rebuild. I don't care what his salary is this year or next so this was a good fit for the Sabres.

It still gives us a shot at a #1 goalie. 

• Like (+1) 1

If WE all know that the combo of Anderson, Murray, & UPL provides comparable GTing to what they had last year, which even Adams admits wasn't good enough; WTF wouldn't Adams realize this?

There's no way he'd walk into a presser announcing that trade saying he's got the GTing figured out for this year.

Of course he wouldn’t.  He’d say we still have irons in the fire, and when its over he’d say he is comfortable with our goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

What savior are you thinking we can acquire if even Matt Murray is turning us away? What is your realistic suggestion?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm not surprised, until we start winning these older goalies want to win a Cup. It's hard to see the Sabres as a Cup contender anytime soon unless your a fan like we are.

So he thinks staying in Ottawa is a better option?

The guy is a head case, injury riddled goaltender. The minute Ottawa signed him I thought it would be a disaster.

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

What savior are you thinking we can acquire if even Matt Murray is turning us away? What is your realistic suggestion?

Fleury or Husso are at the top of the list.  [Edit: put Quick in there too.]  There're been at least 10 options better than Murray discussed here.  (Well, at least 9 now that DeSmith is off the market.)

And, not expecting a "savior."  But am expecting actual competent starting goalie.  Neither Murray nor Anderson fit that bill.

Edited by Taro T

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

So he thinks staying in Ottawa is a better option?

The guy is a head case, injury riddled goaltender. The minute Ottawa signed him I thought it would be a disaster.

I can't speak for him but I've read alot on how trades really mess with personal lives of athletes and I'd guess it was him not wanting to relocate for the 3rd or 4th time. Again I have no way of knowing this but if he saw it as a neutral move why would he you know?

Just now, Taro T said:

Fleury or Husso are at the top of the list.  There're been at least 10 options better than Murray discussed here.  (Well, at least 9 now that DeSmith is off the market.)

And, not expecting a "savior."  But am expecting actual competent starting goalie.  Neither Murray nor Anderson fit that bill.

I'd be very surprised to think Fleury would sign here or Husso, why would either come to a non contending team? Other than money which both will most likely get on a winning team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.