Happy Christian Ehrhoff Day

\GoBillsInDallas/

1 minute ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Does anybody else picture the Mets Comptroller shouting AND TWENTY CENTS like Steve Martin in The Jerk while writing that check over and over?

(Yes, the Comptroller doesn't actually write nor individually sign the checks, we know.  But still ...)

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I don't believe this guy is STILL getting paid.   Goddamit.

If I woke up from a coma the first question I'd ask is if Ehrhoff was still getting paid. 

Thing is, they HAD to do that when the new (2012) version of the CBA came out because of the way the contract was written.  Had they traded him & he then retire before reaching the end of the deal they'd've had HUGE cap recapture penalties that could've gutted the team for a year or 2 which might've forced them to jettison all their high price talent and become one of the league's bottom feeders for ...

🤔

Hey!  Wait 1 durn minute ...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, they HAD to do that when the new (2012) version of the CBA came out because of the way the contract was written.  Had they traded him & he then retire before reaching the end of the deal they'd've had HUGE cap recapture penalties that could've gutted the team for a year or 2 which might've forced them to jettison all their high price talent and become one of the league's bottom feeders for ...

🤔

Hey!  Wait 1 durn minute ...

Yeah that was a total non factor. Lol

The Ehrhoff will be with us. Always.

And was he overpaid in term? Yes (10 years at age 29? Yikes!). Was his salary a bit high? Only those first two years ($8, $5). Was the cap hit fine for a 2-3/PPqb type? Yup. Particularly since he became the de facto 1D. Was the contract legal? I will make it legal. At the time. The new owner wanted to play like the big markets and so they did.

And was Ehrhoff the best defenseman on the roster for those 3 seasons? Undoubtedly. He led the D in minutes and scoring each season and somehow managed CF% Relative scores of 6.6, 10.9, and 6.7 compared to the rest of the roster. The trouble was the team was Vanek+Pominville or nothing, then the 2013-14 season was trading both of them for futures and tanking for Reinhart. Ehrhoff (and Leino) weren't going to put the team over top, but at least Ehrhoff was a good player.

• Like (+1) 1

Every time I think about it, it irks me that Philadelphia, New York, etc. created these contracts to Buffalo's detriment on Black Sunday and almost no one in the NHL press said anything negative, but the second Buffalo did it, suddenly it became a big deal.  It is one of many reasons that I ignore the vast swath of the self-righteous hypocrites of North American hockey media.

13 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I believe so, yes.

A noted by @Zamboni it frees up enough cap space for KA to dole out another of his favourite contracts.  With enough left over for lunch.

Yea next season will be his last payment. When does the actual payment get doled out? July 1st 2023? 

34 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea next season will be his last payment. When does the actual payment get doled out? July 1st 2023? 

I thought July 1st was the first day of the upcoming season. If so, this is his last payment.

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think it was paid on July 1, 2022 for the last season 2022/23.  I think the buyout payouts are once a year at the start of each year, which is July 1st.

Maybe I am completely out to lunch on this, which has happened before.

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I thought July 1st was the first day of the upcoming season. If so, this is his last payment.

Yep.  Though w/ everything delayed by a few weeks this past season, technically the '22-'23 league year begins on IIRC July 13 rather than July 1.

But, yes, Hodgson's buyout comes off the books at the end of this upcoming league year and the Sabres are done making payments that contract.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Though w/ everything delayed by a few weeks this past season, technically the '22-'23 league year begins on IIRC July 13 rather than July 1.

But, yes, Hodgson's buyout comes off the books at the end of this upcoming league year and the Sabres are done making payments that contract.

So the payout happens in 9 days. And the cap hit stops after next season. Cool …

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So the payout happens in 9 days. And the cap hit stops after next season. Cool …

Honestly not sure if the payout happened on July 1 or will on the 13th.  (Haven't seen how the buyout language is written - does it stipulate the payment on July 1 or on the 1st day of the league year?)  But yes, the payout happens now-ish, and there is no cap hit in '23-'24.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Honestly not sure if the payout happened on July 1 or will on the 13th.  (Haven't seen how the buyout language is written - does it stipulate the payment on July 1 or on the 1st day of the league year?)  But yes, the payout happens now-ish, and there is no cap hit in '23-'24.

Why wouldn't the cap hit end when the last payment happens and the contract is paid in full and done with?

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Why wouldn't the cap hit end when the last payment happens and the contract is paid in full and done with?

It does.  That final payment of ~$870k happens in the '22-'23 league year.  So it counts against the '22-'23 cap at roughly 1/187th per day during the regular season.  Just like a signing bonus paid to a player that gets paid on day 1 of the league year gets charged against the cap at roughly 1/187th per day during the regular season.  (Andvthe 1/187th is roughly how many days the regular season typically lasts.  However long it is in a particular year, a fraction of those sort of items get charged against the cap each day of the season.

If they didn't account for those in this way, almost EVERY team that has those on the books would be out of compliance with the cap on the 1sg day of the league year as the daily max cap hit is just a little under $500k/ day.   'What, you have a $1MM buyout on the books?  Better hope you don't play the 1st 2 days of the season because you already spent your entire player budget for those 2 days on that.' 😉

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

It does.  That final payment of ~$870k happens in the '22-'23 league year.  So it counts against the '22-'23 cap at roughly 1/187th per day during the regular season.  Just like a signing bonus paid to a player that gets paid on day 1 of the league year gets charged against the cap at roughly 1/187th per day during the regular season.  (Andvthe 1/187th is roughly how many days the regular season typically lasts.  However long it is in a particular year, a fraction of those sort of items get charged against the cap each day of the season.

If they didn't account for those in this way, almost EVERY team that has those on the books would be out of compliance with the cap on the 1sg day of the league year as the daily max cap hit is just a little under $500k/ day.   'What, you have a $1MM buyout on the books?  Better hope you don't play the 1st 2 days of the season because you already spent your entire player budget for those 2 days on that.' 😉

Why do they insist on complicating things so much?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.