Bold Sabres Prediction for the 2022-23 Season

Doohickie

Owen Power has trouble producing points and the minuses pile up

Jack Quinn struggles to make the adjustment and is in the minors by Christmas time.

Eric Comrie is no more suited to carrying the load in net than Carter Hutton.

😘

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

Sabres are eliminated from playoff contention in the final week of the season, but finish above 87 points on the year.

Skinner and Thompson are twin 40 goal scorers.

Dahlin is a Norris finalist.

Comrie plays much better in net than most people expect and is above average in goalie metrics.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Jack Quinn struggles to make the adjustment and is in the minors by Christmas time.

😘

I don't think I like the Hutton comparison...Hutton was at the age where goalies start declining. Comrie is just entering his prime. 

Edited by matter2003

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

We will beat Toronto in first round of playoffs. 

dubas will double down on the vets 

So in all likelihood that means you have Toronto finishing first overall? That might even be less likely than our chances of making the playoffs. 

I am amazed at the love Comrie gets. A goalie that most teams pretty much didn't even consider as an option. If Comrie is actually good, that would indeed be a lucky home run hit. More likely, he's a slight upgrade on Tokarski and that's all. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

😘

Dude.

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

More likely, he's a slight upgrade on Tokarski and that's all. 

A slight upgrade over Toker may be all the Sabres need.

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

😘

This looks like one of my posts from last year at this time.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Let's go bold. GM Sheevyn gives in to his hatred and signs Kadri to ensure Detroit and Ottawa stay in our rearview mirrors. The strategy works!

But as to the other part of the equation: this means the season begins with JJP and Quinn both in Rochester. They do well as call-ups though because they're ready and raring to go by midseason. 

Going to keep it simple in this post since there is usually another thread closer to season with point production predictions.

1.  Anderson and Comrie split starts to begin year with Comrie taking over #1 by Thanksgiving.  

2.  Defense plays a lot better because experience from last year is paying off.  Still young and making mistakes.  Mule and Boosh's physical play rub off on Dahlin and Joker.

3.  Forwards struggle to score during first month as rookies are fit into the lineup.  Line juggling finally stops and consistency prevails and leads to breakout years for Cozens and Mitts.  Quinn and Peterka play well and continue to earn time.  Krebs struggles on defensive end and is sent to Amerks for 30 games to work on defensive play with help from  Peca.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:18 AM, HumanSlinky39 said:

2) Comrie emerges as a legitimate starter (~.914 / ~2.68 GAA)

If Comrie puts those numbers up the Sabres are in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Savoie makes the team with JJ and Quinn and making the  Ultimate kid line.

Breaking the leafs rookie  record for the (big 3) 

I like this one.  So unrealistic.  But bold, baby.

• Like (+1) 1

Due to senility, Anderson forgets to take his Geritol before the opening game.   While stepping onto the ice for warmups he suffers a grade 12 bi-lateral groin tear and leaves KBC in a wheelchair.  He retires by Thanksgiving.   

Levi sets an NCAA record by recording a shutout in each and every start, but loses the National Championship game due to an own goal in the 5th OT.     He decides to return to college to avenge the loss and prove to himself that he can stop not only the opposition but his own teammates.  

Tage Thompson is diagnosed with Marfans syndrome.  He grows an additional 8 inches during the season becoming the tallest player to ever play.    At the conclusion of the season he retires from hockey to join the circus.

Jack Quinn gets traded as part of a four-team deal involving Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Quinn Jack, (the other) Jack Hughes, and Hugh Jackman.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Jack Quinn gets traded as part of a four-team deal involving Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Quinn Jack, (the other) Jack Hughes, and Hugh Jackman.

Glad to see I'm not the only one confused by all those names!

Edited by Doohickie
wait.... is Quinn Jack a real person????

Not sure I feel all that comfortable giving any kind of concrete predictions considering the multitude of ways this all could go, but I can predict the things that, should they develop, would make me the most optimistic moving forward:

1. Thompson repeats. If TT “runs it back” and more/less duplicates the season we just saw, we’re laughing. I meant it when I said the exact same season this year from Tage would provide double the excitement last year’s output provided. Filling out an NHL C spine, considering the young Cs we have on roster + in system, if we already have the 1C plugged in will be smooth sailing, imo. We have a plethora of depth at the F positions, both W and C, I’m not that concerned about the development of any *one* player, if we’ve dialed in on what’s less certain to be pieced together: a playoff-run worthy first line. Thompson for me puts a lot of pieces in place if the version we saw is here to stay.
  2. Dahlin and Power progressing like one might expect a Dahlin and a Power to progress. Filling out the F ranks gets even *easier* if the strength of our team funnels through those two pillars on D, a strength given the aptitude of those two players I see being *potentially* good enough to be *the* strength of a contending team. 
  3. Comrie performing as a reasonable stop gap. The D likely develops into such a strength that, should Levi amount to becoming a Saros-type player, we’ve got the bones of our team sorted. Basically, if 2/3 of D, GT, and the F develop close to their upper level projections, we are in a real good spot, imo. Comrie providing a bit of a quick-fix cheat code for the position makes a transition to good goaltending all the more likely, obviously. 

I’m excited to see development ebb, and flow, for plenty of other players on the roster, but seeing the 4 players I listed excel would not be interchangeable with the others. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Doohickie said:

Last October just before the season started, I came out with this nugget:

Tage exceeded that prediction.  This year I'm going to make three Bold Predictions.  Feel free to do the same.  At the end of the season we can see who was the best Bold Predictor.

1. Tage scores 50
  2. Anderson gets 20 wins as the backup
  3. JJ nets 25 goals

I'm going to add to the predictions:  Comrie will turn out to be the best goalie the Sabres have had since Hasek.  Deep run in '23, Cup in '24.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm going to add to the predictions:  Comrie will turn out to be the best goalie the Sabres have had since Hasek.  Deep run in '23, Cup in '24.

Umm, pretty sure a tall, skinny, cerebral, hipster known for his very own version of a scoreless outing would like to have a word with you. 😉

Edited by Taro T
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I love your bold predictions (very positive) but this one on Comrie cannot be ruled on in just the 2022-23 season regardless of how he plays because it would take multiple seasons to make the statement that he's better than Ryan Miller.  Remember you titled this "Bold Sabres Prediction for the 2022-23 Season".

• Like (+1) 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Doohickie said:

Last October just before the season started, I came out with this nugget:

Tage exceeded that prediction.  This year I'm going to make three Bold Predictions.  Feel free to do the same.  At the end of the season we can see who was the best Bold Predictor.

1. Tage scores 50
  2. Anderson gets 20 wins as the backup
  3. JJ nets 25 goals

Wrong.  Wrong on all counts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.