Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

33 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

These huge contracts for younger players has me concerned on Cozens next contract and Quinn and JJP in a couple of years if they do play up to expectations.

Looking forward to a great problem to have if they all play up to those expectations. 

43 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Would not have given Stutzle more than Tkachuk...but it's Ottawa.  Let them keep throwing money to their young unproven players.  

Liking Tage's deal more and more!! 

Giving him the same AAV as Tkachuk would’ve been a good move politically. Stutzle will probably produce more, but Tkachuk is the heart and soul of the team as well as a productive player.

Good deal for Stutzle, he will still be near his prime when he hits UFA, not a 31 year old who magically pulls one more good season out of his hat to get another big deal.

11 hours ago, sweetlou said:

These huge contracts for younger players has me concerned on Cozens next contract and Quinn and JJP in a couple of years if they do play up to expectations.

The league is just slowly coming to grips with the fact it’s better to pay for reasonably expected performance, than to expect past performance to necessarily continue. It’s better to pay handsomely for a player’s prime years than to reward them for their performance during such. 

Of course there’s risk, but it’s immaterial in the sense that, if your talent evaluation is bad, you aren’t going to construct a good team, anyways. Likewise, without any value deals. 

You take the swings, early, at the players your hopefully competent staff has identified as the best to bet on. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, shrader said:

No matter what Ottawa is doing here, I can’t see these 8 year deals becoming the standard for all but a very few of the guys exiting their ELCs. 

I think what Ottawa is doing is trying to re-energize their fanbase and sell a lot of season tickets. They are spending and pretty much announcing that they (believe they) are a contender and will stay that way. Will be interesting to see if their whole thing works or not. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Digger said:

I found this to be a good listen and while not a ranking he does go through each team's goaltending one by one.

I really liked this video. I’m not a fancy stats guy but Goals saved above expected seems like a good stat. It fairly accurately showed which goalies had good seasons.

Comrie gives me hope, he was solid according to these numbers. Can he do it for 50 games? UPL was OK in his limited time.

• Like (+1) 1

One last thing:  Granato said his first priority was to develop the offense up to now.  I expect that to shift; not that he will cut off the offense at the knees but that he will focus more on defense and the development of his young defensive studs.  With that shift in focus I think no matter who is between the pipes for the Sabres, they will see improvement.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One last thing:  Granato said his first priority was to develop the offense up to now.  I expect that to shift; not that he will cut off the offense at the knees but that he will focus more on defense and the development of his young defensive studs.  With that shift in focus I think no matter who is between the pipes for the Sabres, they will see improvement.

IF (big IF) there is this shift in focus you predict. I personally doubt we see it this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.