Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The point of law enforcement appreciation night? It sure does, I'm all for it, irregardless of what happened near the arena. 

I along with multiple state troopers have been repeatedly assaulted by methheads all week. So that's what has happened to me, step into my world and maybe you'll adjust your thinking. Maybe not. But those guys (and gals) deal with the scum of humanity day in and day out, one night of appreciation at a hockey game isn't too much now is it. 

This world has forgotten the mantra that actions have consequences and its clearly showing. 

We don't live in a Judge Dredd comic book either. I think most reasonable people appreciate actual police but want the world rid of thugs with badges.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Because the symbol of a countermovement borne from hatred for an initial movement dedicated to prevent the killing of innocent black people is probably not worthy of a hockey team's support.

But you knew that.

Anything more belongs in a politics thread.  Preferably on 4chan or truth social.

But you knew that, too.

No. I was genuinely interested in his opinion. NS is a Muslim. He grew up in a country ravaged by war, he's a CPA why resides on the quiet coast of Nova Scotia. I am a white man who grew up in Buffalo. I have no religious beliefs, spent most of my adult life serving my country, and reside in Nashville. I appreciate that his life/history/perspective is much different than mine, and I enjoy reading his thoughts and views on a variety of topics. I have a great deal of respect for him. 

You, on the other hand....

I ask a poster a question and you jump in with the sole purpose of being a condescending prick. Seems out of character for someone pursuing a career through the seminary. The most logical assumption to be made is that the seminary didn't work out for you either?  I feel sorry for you. Keep your chin up, I'm sure you'll find your way in life eventually. 

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

No. I was genuinely interested in his opinion. NS is a Muslim. He grew up in a country ravaged by war, he's a CPA why resides on the quiet coast of Nova Scotia. I am a white man who grew up in Buffalo. I have no religious beliefs, spent most of my adult life serving my country, and reside in Nashville. I appreciate that his life/history/perspective is much different than mine, and I enjoy reading his thoughts and views on a variety of topics. I have a great deal of respect for him. 

I ask a poster a question and you jump in with the sole purpose of being a condescending prick. Seems out of character for someone pursuing a career through the seminary. The most logical assumption to be made is that the seminary didn't work out for you either?  I feel sorry for you. Keep your chin up, I'm sure you'll find your way in life eventually. 

This is obnoxious.

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

We don't live in a Judge Dredd comic book either. I think most reasonable people appreciate actual police but want the world rid of thugs with badges.

I could be off, but I would say that it's 90/10% in terms of upstanding vs thug. Sadly as always, the minority ruins it for the moral majority. 

I guess we could get rid of all of these appreciation nights and just do more kids days and save the one appreciation night for the fans and alumni per year. I'm not a big fan of the anthem at sporting events, I could get behind getting rid the others, I just think the cause isn't as erroneous as some think with the one up thread. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I could be off, but I would say that it's 90/10% in terms of upstanding vs thug. Sadly as always, the minority ruins it for the moral majority. 

I guess we could get rid of all of these appreciation nights and just do more kids days and save the one appreciation night for the fans and alumni per year. I'm not a big fan of the anthem at sporting events, I could get behind getting rid the others, I just think the cause isn't as erroneous as some think with the one up thread. 

Not my experience. Far from it. 

But what does any of this have to do with the NHL or hockey?

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The overall problem with that tweet is the flag.  It is a thin blue line flag.  The concept of a thin blue line is the issue at hand.  It is what resulted in a cop killing an unarmed man reasonably close to that arena without fear of repercussions.  It is the thin blue line concept that resulted in 3 other cops watch, and assist that cop slowly kill an unarmed man.

Thin blue line imagery and language has no business being a part of any appreciation night. Thin blue line is a disgusting reality.  I hope that event is crushed with poor response.  Not because cops shouldn’t be appreciated, but because the thin blue line needs to be destroyed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The overall problem with that tweet is the flag.  It is a thin blue line flag.  The concept of a thin blue line is the issue at hand.  It is what resulted in a cop killing an unarmed man reasonably close to that arena without fear of repercussions.  It is the thin blue line concept that resulted in 3 other cops watch, and assist that cop slowly kill an unarmed man.

Thin blue line imagery and language has no business being a part of any appreciation night. Thin blue line is a disgusting reality.  I hope that event is crushed with poor response.  Not because cops shouldn’t be appreciated, but because the thin blue line needs to be destroyed.

I'll have to look into the thin blue line thing, I've seen stickers and t shirts with it, but I honestly have no clue what it means, I just assumed it was always a thing for law enforcement. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not my experience. Far from it. 

But what does any of this have to do with the NHL or hockey?

It doesn't, but it stemmed from a post about a hockey event. Moving on.

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Oh, please.  No one's believing the false naiveté.

And the only thing that hasn't worked out in my life so far is marriage.  No need to feel sorry.

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'll have to look into the thin blue line thing, I've seen stickers and t shirts with it, but I honestly have no clue what it means, I just assumed it was always a thing for law enforcement. 

It could have been, but it isn't.  It's a countermovement (per above). 

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It doesn't, but it stemmed from a post about a hockey event. Moving on.

Yeh I had to ask my son... he debated it Social Studies... it's roots were based in racism,  but many officers I know felt they were being targeted and not fairly protected and adopted it as well... I can see both sides of this coin..  yet there is still a blue wall out there that makes it difficult to weed out the bad officers... so call me skeptical every time I see it... though I know its meaning can vary depending on the individual.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh I had to ask my son... he debated it Social Studies... it's roots were based in racism,  but many officers I know felt they were being targeted and not fairly protected and adopted it as well... I can see both sides of this coin..  yet there is still a blue wall out there that makes it difficult to weed out the bad officers... so call me skeptical every time I see it... though I know its meaning can vary depending on the individual.

It is a nuanced thing for sure but that probably applies to all things these days. On Wednesday I was driving DT and there were ppl on Cleveland ave overlooking the 90 with US flags (1 Canadian flag too) saying honk for freedom. I hesitated because I saw a few other items that I couldn't make out on the ppl that might have aligned them politically with stuff I don't support. Again there is a nuance there, was I seeing a spontaneous and joyful thing of woo USA and Canada are free countries or was it related to something else. Context and nuance are always important and I can only approach things from my perspective and knowledge base. 

I won't comment much on the Wild and their hockey flag/blue line further. I saw it and I cringed a little because I think there are better ways to support good police officers. I will leave it at that as to not drag this into a more political debate which would be easy to do. 

Symbols are powerful though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I had no idea there was symbolism there beyond what appeared to me as run-of-the-mill “salute”.

Symbols are indeed powerful.

Up here, Canada Day was interesting this summer after two consecutive years of low-key or non-celebration.

One would think people would have been embracing an opportunity to fly the maple leaf. Instead, I heard reluctance from several people.

During the pandemic, the most common place to see a flag flying was off the back of a truck belonging to a horn-honking, often obnoxious person disrupting people’s commutes to oppose pandemic-related mandates.

People who normally may have been flying the flag, did not want to be confused with that movement.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I had no idea their was symbolism there beyond what appeared to me as run-of-the-mill “salute”.

Up here, Canada Day was interesting this summer after two consecutive years of low-key or non-celebration.

One would think people would have been embracing an opportunity to fly the maple leaf. Instead, I heard reluctance from several people.

During the pandemic, the most common place to see a flag flying was off the back of a truck belonging to a horn-honking, often obnoxious person disrupting people’s commutes to oppose pandemic-related mandates.

People who normally may have been flying the flag, did not want to be confused with that movement.

Welcome to our world.  I wish we hadn’t exported that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I had no idea their was symbolism there beyond what appeared to me as run-of-the-mill “salute”.

I got the same feeling around Canada Day. There were fewer flags than usual. People did not want to be associated with the protesters was my take on it.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

23 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I got the same feeling around Canada Day. There were fewer flags than usual. People did not want to be associated with the protesters was my take on it.

A lot of us can't wear US flag stuff or fly US flags anymore because of the way it's been co-opted by certain groups.  It's been this way since about 2003-4.  Like @Weave, I'm sorry this phenomenon has been exported northward.

EDIT:  I miss my US flag swim trunks, but let's not pretend that I'd fit into them today, either!

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

A lot of us can't wear US flag stuff or fly US flags anymore because of the way it's been co-opted by certain groups.  It's been this way since about 2003-4.  Like @Weave, I'm sorry this phenomenon has been exported northward.

EDIT:  I miss my US flag swim trunks, but let's not pretend that I'd fit into them today, either!

Just really thankful you didn't type Speedo.

• Haha (+1) 3

@Hank,

For the record, which I always tried to make clear ... I was born in Canada and not a war torn country.  I have spent a lot of time in Bosnia just as the war was ending and soon after it ended and for many times since that time (the last time was in 2011).

I am a Muslim, but my culture and experiences in life are Canadian with some travel experiences in Europe, which is very similar to North America in most ways.

None of that really influenced my feelings on this whole thing.

The symbolism on the shirt is unspeakably terrible.  I am in the minority (seems like) that also think that the whole law enforcement appreciation night in that arena is just wrong and sends a bad message since an innocent (yes, @Wyldnwoody44 ... innocent.  Maybe not a saint, but certainly did not deserve what happened to him.  No one does.) man died a horrible death at the hands of law enforcement not far from it.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Wear your flag stuff.  It hasn't been co-opted by anyone.  People saying that are the one's looking for trouble.  Symbols only have power when we give them power.  Looking at people this past 4th, I can tell you that no one gave two shits about any co-opting.

On a side note, I can never sign up for flag patterned clothes.  Flag logos or patches are fine, but wearing a flag has always seemed off to me.  But then again, I'm the guy who will quickly point out when a vertical flag is hung incorrectly.  Flag etiquette is fun.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

@Hank,

For the record, which I always tried to make clear ... I was born in Canada and not a wore torn country.  I have spent a lot of time in Bosnia just as the war was ending and soon after it ended and for many times since that time (the last time was in 2011).

I am a Muslim, but my culture and experiences in life are Canadian with some travel experiences in Europe, which is very similar to North America in most ways.

None of that really influenced my feelings on this whole thing.

The symbolism on the shirt is unspeakably terrible.  I am in the minority (seems like) that also think that the whole law enforcement appreciation night in that arena is just wrong and sends a bad message since an innocent (yes, @Wyldnwoody44 ... innocent.  Maybe not a saint, but certainly did not deserve what happened to him.  No one does.) man died a horrible death at the hands of law enforcement not far from it.

Sincere apologies for getting that wrong, no offense intended. 

I am really divided on this.  On one hand, law enforcement do a job you could not pay me enough to do.  Most policemen do an honest job which is exceedingly difficult but is necessary for a functioning society..

On the other hand, I was told by one law enforcement officer that I would not have to worry about being targetted by cops if I had the good sense to leave the country.  (He first pulled me over for speeding when I was keeping up with traffic.  So I went the speed limit -- then he pulled me over 5 minutes later for being a danger on the road for going the speed limit and not keeping up with traffic.  The above was his response when I took both tickets and asked him what I should do.)  There are cops who follow me in their cars for miles looking for a reason to pull me over.

That is aside from the thin blue line desecration of the American flag with its overtly racist overtones.  (According to my old civics classes [vintage 1976], that is an alteration of the representation of the American flag not officially sanctioned by law and is therefore a desecration.  As another example, if you wore pants with a flag, you could not sit down because that counted as desecration too.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 8/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, dudacek said:

I had no idea there was symbolism there beyond what appeared to me as run-of-the-mill “salute”.

That was it. The anti vax "freedom" crowd hijacked flag waving for the time being as they've tried to portray themselves as "patriots" and "defenders of freedom" rather than the fringe nut cases funded by right wing American money that they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.