Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

McCabe is a warrior but a medical mess. Spine surgery sounds like something you don’t come back from in a few months.

If it’s a minor surgery like bone spur surgery, he could easily heal and come back 100% in a few weeks. If it’s something like decompression surgery, it may take longer but 10-12 weeks isn’t unusual.

I have defended the Tage deal saying you need to look at the percentage of the cap hit at the mid-way point of the contract, so I guess that applies here to but I think this is an over-pay.

Is he good? Yes. Very good, Yes.  But I don't think he is an 8-10% of your cap guy. He has some highlights were he looks skilled beyond belief, but his production, while very good last year, isn't off the charts.  I think his playoff performance is what got him this deal .

I don't think it will be an awful deal, I just don't think he is a consistent 30-40 goal per season year after year, top line guy.

48 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have defended the Tage deal saying you need to look at the percentage of the cap hit at the mid-way point of the contract, so I guess that applies here to but I think this is an over-pay.

Is he good? Yes. Very good, Yes.  But I don't think he is an 8-10% of your cap guy. He has some highlights were he looks skilled beyond belief, but his production, while very good last year, isn't off the charts.  I think his playoff performance is what got him this deal .

I don't think it will be an awful deal, I just don't think he is a consistent 30-40 goal per season year after year, top line guy.

The deal could age well given the expected increase in salary cap by the midpoint of this deal. I think that was part of KA’s thinking to lock Tage up now. 

Summit '72 starts on the CBC tonight. Looking forward to reliving the nostalgia of this. I remember they gave us a day off school to watch the final. Crazy what that series meant to Canada at the time. 

https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/specials/summit-72-1.6424600

It's also on the CBC Gem website. Don't know if that works in the U.S. but you can always drive over to Niagara Falls for the evening 🙂

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Summit '72 starts on the CBC tonight. Looking forward to reliving the nostalgia of this. I remember they gave us a day off school to watch the final. Crazy what that series meant to Canada at the time. 

https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/specials/summit-72-1.6424600

It's also on the CBC Gem website. Don't know if that works in the U.S. but you can always drive over to Niagara Falls for the evening 🙂

We were at school but anyone that wanted to watch went to the gym.

9 hours ago, French Collection said:

We were at school but anyone that wanted to watch went to the gym.

We had that for the 2nd to last game but I thought the last one was a nation wide school holiday? Maybe it was just Ontario, or maybe even just my city school board in Hamilton. idk, but everybody was off home that's for sure. Games were middle of the afternoon (live from Russia) as I remember it. 

Pre dryland training and gyms. Guys that were in this kind of shape would have an advantage.

They all worked in the off season, the money was not great.

My father in law went to the Red Wings camp in the 50’s. He was offered a spot in Omaha but returned home to work in the pulp mill, the money was better than the minors.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 2

I thought the first episode was pretty good. They have comments from the Russian players as well as the Canadian which gives it a new perspective. All the younger members on here should watch this for an informative look at just how much things have changed in 50 years. Loved the bit where Phil Esposito talks about August "training" for him was drinking beer and taking a swim which they contrasted with the Russians doing all their intricate work out routines. Great historical perspective. 

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Pre dryland training and gyms. Guys that were in this kind of shape would have an advantage.

They all worked in the off season, the money was not great.

My father went to the Red Wings camp in the 50’s. He was offered a spot in Omaha but returned home to work in the pulp mill, the money was better than the minors.

Ya, in the first episode Esposito talks about working in the steel mill right up until '72. It's an incredible contrast with today's game for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, nfreeman said:

Speaking of earlier hockey eras, I thought SabreSpacers of a certain age might appreciate this photo of Bobby Hull working on the farm in the offseason, which I recently happened upon on reddit:

image.thumb.png.f32e2e280581c769d7d26e2186f290f0.png

If memory serves me right, his and others' off-season work which required staying in shape and the Soviets' performance in the Summit Series were the inspirations for Fred Shero and Joe Crozier for their training camps before 1972-3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.