Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

I find it strange that some people seem to think the Sabres still need to add because they haven't added any well-established vets.

They are adding Power, Quinn, Peterka, Comrie and Lyubushkin.

Given the choice, would you have really preferred Chairot, Copp, Perron, Husso, and Maatta?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I find it strange that some people seem to think the Sabres still need to add because they haven't added any well-established vets.

Given the choice, would you have really preferred Chairot, Copp, Perron, Husso, and Maatta?

It is going to be fun to watch the kids come together (or not) this year.  Comrie is a good-faith attempt at fixing the situation in net, at least, and Lyu -- I just can't -- is a nice little addition.

I can't argue with the method of this rebuild.  Maybe things don't work out, guys get hurt or don't jell or don't develop or whatever, but I'm ok with the method.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Been arguing to try and add Copp for a while tbh 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’d love to have added Copp.

But the question was which group would you rather have?

To my mind, there’s little doubt the Sabres group is better moving forward and under the cap.

It’s possible it may even be better this year. I’d be surprised if Quinn is better than Copp, but:

Husso and Comrie have virtually the same resume.

Lyubushkin is Chairot without the contract.

It’s just a question of when Peterka (20) passes Perron (34) in virtually the same role.

And Power is probably better than Maatta already.

I don’t buy the idea the Sabres are standing still while everyone else around them is getting better.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d love to have added Copp.

But the question was which group would you rather have?

To my mind, there’s little doubt the Sabres group is better moving forward and under the cap.

It’s possible it may even be better this year. I’d be surprised if Quinn is better than Copp, but:

Husso and Comrie have virtually the same resume.

Lyubushkin is Chairot without the contract.

It’s just a question of when Peterka (20) passes Perron (34) in virtually the same role.

And Power is probably better than Maatta already.

I don’t buy the idea the Sabres are standing still while everyone else around them is getting better.

Who’s floating the bolded? 

If it’s a matter of groups, and this is yet another “Do you endorse the plan of Adams?” exercise complete with the mandatory Quinnterka listing of prospects, the answer remains: yes. I think it’s a yes for the entire board to a man/woman, tbh. Save maybe Nill. 

Personally though I think there’s room for being in support of the plan, where the desire to add a particular addition or two, just because they are good players now, shouldn’t/needn’t be seen as a sign of the disregarding of the overall strategy. 

If I have to take a group b/c any sort of slight divergence from the Adaplan poisons the whole mindset, I keep our group. But assuming I’m free to tweak, and not everything is piece to a puzzle already inevitably headed towards greatness, I’d be happier with Quinn needing to beat out a Girgensons instead of just a Sheahan, because we gave up some picks to get Copp instead of him. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who’s floating the bolded

If it’s a matter of groups, and this is yet another “Do you endorse the plan of Adams?” exercise complete with the mandatory Quinnterka listing of prospects, the answer remains: yes. I think it’s a yes for the entire board to a man/woman, tbh. Save maybe Nill. 

Personally though I think there’s room for being in support of the plan, where the desire to add a particular addition or two, just because they are good players now, shouldn’t/needn’t be seen as a sign of the disregarding of the overall strategy. 

If I have to take a group b/c any sort of slight divergence from the Adaplan poisons the whole mindset, I keep our group. But assuming I’m free to tweak, and not everything is piece to a puzzle already inevitably headed towards greatness, I’d be happier with Quinn needing to beat out a Girgensons instead of just a Sheahan, because we gave up some picks to get Copp instead of him. 

Don’t know that there’s much of it on Sabrespace, but there was definitely some post-free agency.

And overall, league-wide, there is a definite perception that the vast majority of non-playoff teams in the east got better while the Sabres did not because they added names people recognize.

I’m more responding to (and disagreeing with) that than any kind of all-or-nothing on the Adams plan.

Edited by dudacek

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We had a couple threads here where people have been discussing the Sabres in comparison to some other young teams. (Detroit, Ottawa, NJ).  Some definitely have argued that some of these teams added more than Buffalo this offseason, and/or have “passed” Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Even if Adams was interested in Copp he went home on a lucrative contract. I’m unsure if any contract would of interested Copp barring absurdity/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'll be very curious to see how things play out compared to Detroit and Ottawa.  Sometimes teams can go a little too crazy and their chemistry gets a huge shock to the system when it wasn't really necessary.  Granted, with the pipelines in very different places, they can't all take the same approach.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I'll be very curious to see how things play out compared to Detroit and Ottawa.  Sometimes teams can go a little too crazy and their chemistry gets a huge shock to the system when it wasn't really necessary.  Granted, with the pipelines in very different places, they can't all take the same approach.

And am very interested how Lyubushkin fits in during year 1 here for a similar reason.  D very often take a year of acclimation to a new system before fitting in.  He, hopefully will be but, could be an exception as he stepped fairly seamlessly into TO's mix last year.  Regardless, am expecting more out of him in year 2 than we see this year.  (And that's from someone pushing for him to be Power's primary partner.)

Could definitely see Detroit, the Otters, & Joisey all have growing pains trying to work all the new guys in together.  Hoping for it at any rate because if they all do and any of Bah-stan, the Caps, or the Pens falter; this season could be better than expected if Comrie is all we hope Bales could make him.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Don’t know that there’s much of it on Sabrespace, but there was definitely some post-free agency.

And overall, league-wide, there is a definite perception that the vast majority of non-playoff teams in the east got better while the Sabres did not because they added names people recognize.

I’m more responding to (and disagreeing with) that than any kind of all-or-nothing on the Adams plan.

If you think that then bet on the 2023 win totals.  The Vegas line for OTT,  NJ and Detroit are significantly better than Buffalo.  So they believe the hype.  Bet the over for the Sabres and under for NJ or Detroit.   The Devils were predicted to have 89 pts. last year and finished with 63.  This year they increased it to 91.  Seems like a lock for the under.  Sabres on the other hand we’re predicted to have 67 and exceeded that number.  Stands to reason they exceed this years target of 77.5. 

Anaheim Ducks 80.5

Arizona Coyotes 65.5

Boston Bruins 93.5

Buffalo Sabres 77.5

Calgary Flames 99.5

Carolina Hurricanes 102.5

Chicago Blackhawks 66.5

Colorado Avalanche 111.5

Columbus Blue Jackets 79.5

Dallas Stars 94.5

Detroit Red Wings 84.5

Edmonton Oilers 103.5

Florida Panthers 106.5

Los Angeles Kings 95.5

Minnesota Wild 100.5

Montreal Canadiens 71.5

Nashville Predators 96.5

New Jersey Devils 91.5

New York Islanders 94.5

New York Rangers 99.5

Ottawa Senators 86.5

Philadelphia Flyers 78.5

Pittsburgh Penguins 102.5

San Jose Sharks 76.5

Seattle Kraken 82.5

St. Louis Blues 95.5

Tampa Bay Lightning 103.5

Toronto Maple Leafs 106.5

Vancouver Canucks 92.5

Vegas Golden Knights 98.5

Washington Capitals 95.5

Winnipeg Jets 87.5

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

If you think that then bet on the 2023 win totals.  The Vegas line for OTT,  NJ and Detroit are significantly better than Buffalo.  So they believe the hype.  Bet the over for the Sabres and under for NJ or Detroit.   The Devils were predicted to have 89 pts. last year and finished with 63.  This year they increased it to 91.  Seems like a lock for the under.  Sabres on the other hand we’re predicted to have 67 and exceeded that number.  Stands to reason they exceed this years target of 77.5. 

Anaheim Ducks 80.5

Arizona Coyotes 65.5

Boston Bruins 93.5

Buffalo Sabres 77.5

Calgary Flames 99.5

Carolina Hurricanes 102.5

Chicago Blackhawks 66.5

Colorado Avalanche 111.5

Columbus Blue Jackets 79.5

Dallas Stars 94.5

Detroit Red Wings 84.5

Edmonton Oilers 103.5

Florida Panthers 106.5

Los Angeles Kings 95.5

Minnesota Wild 100.5

Montreal Canadiens 71.5

Nashville Predators 96.5

New Jersey Devils 91.5

New York Islanders 94.5

New York Rangers 99.5

Ottawa Senators 86.5

Philadelphia Flyers 78.5

Pittsburgh Penguins 102.5

San Jose Sharks 76.5

Seattle Kraken 82.5

St. Louis Blues 95.5

Tampa Bay Lightning 103.5

Toronto Maple Leafs 106.5

Vancouver Canucks 92.5

Vegas Golden Knights 98.5

Washington Capitals 95.5

Winnipeg Jets 87.5

I am not into gambling but I would put a bit on the Sabres there.

I guess I would have to subscribe to a gambling site to make that bet.

17 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Say yes to monahan 

Just checked his background..  Monahan has had a few surgeries which have limited his effectiveness.  Think of him now as a $6M Vinnie Hinostroza at Centre.  I would want a sweetener.

Now, if he's fully healed, then he might be a worthwhile gamble.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.