Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This rumour is travelling around. In some ways it seems believable and might make sense. 

Still have the same Q as before.  Ain't breaking up Samuelsson-Dahlin.  Which of Jokiharju, Lyubushkin, or Subban are you sliding to the left side or out of the lineup w/ him in the fold?

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Still have the same Q as before.  Ain't breaking up Samuelsson-Dahlin.  Which of Jokiharju, Lyubushkin, or Subban are you sliding to the left side or out of the lineup w/ him in the fold?

But they would break them up. Your left side would be Dahlin Power Samuelsson and Joker Lybushkin Subban on the right. Who would be with who idk but that's how they'd start I'd bet IF they signed Subban. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

That is aside from the thin blue line desecration of the American flag with its overtly racist overtones.  (According to my old civics classes [vintage 1976], that is an alteration of the representation of the American flag not officially sanctioned by law and is therefore a desecration.  As another example, if you wore pants with a flag, you could not sit down because that counted as desecration too.)

I spent 30 years in law enforcement.  The "thin blue line" was originally a reference to the police being the thin layer of protection between the good, honest citizen and the criminal.  I felt proud to be a part of that.  It has now been co-opted to represent full support of all police, regardless of whether an individual officer has failed to live up to the high standard of being a principled example for others to follow.  The "blue wall" is a reference to maintaining silence when an individual officer is being investigated for wrongdoing.  Don't talk to the "rat squad."  That is abhorent and has led to law enforcement losing the trust of much of the public.  The two references have been blurred together unfortunately.

I also agree with your civics lesson on the flag.  The US flag, when it is altered to represent something else, is disrespecting the flag and what it stands for.  I've see flags with the blue line, with the Marine Corps emblem, with a deer head in it, rainbow colored, etc.  All of these detract from what the US flag represents --- the United States.  The US flag is perfect the way it is.  It cannot be improved by adding to it.  By claiming the US flag for an individual group, people are disregarding the "United" part of the flag, but are dividing the country even further.  Flying flags which are torn, tattered, or faded, or flying them at night without being lit by a light also grate on me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

The "thin blue line" was originally a reference to the police being the thin layer of protection between the good, honest citizen and the criminal.  I felt proud to be a part of that.  It has now been co-opted to represent full support of all police, regardless of whether an individual officer has failed to live up to the high standard of being a principled example for others to follow.  The "blue wall" is a reference to maintaining silence when an individual officer is being investigated for wrongdoing. 

This is what I remember (from a civilian perspective), too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But they would break them up. Your left side would be Dahlin Power Samuelsson and Joker Lybushkin Subban on the right. Who would be with who idk but that's how they'd start I'd bet IF they signed Subban. 

IMHO, that would be a ridiculously dumb move.  Granted small sample size, but that pairing has been the 1st time the Sabres have iced a legit top pairing since at least Ehrhoff's departure & likely since Myers magical rookie season which owed an awful lot to Tallinder. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think that Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson on LD and Jokiharju, Subban, Lyubushkin on RD would be pretty poor player usage because I think the 3LD would be a better player than the 1RD.

I kind of doubt they would break them up as you say.  Granato/Adams have not seemed to care a great deal about maintaining LD/RD same side deployment.  Guys have been played on their off hand side pretty regularly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I spent 30 years in law enforcement.  The "thin blue line" was originally a reference to the police being the thin layer of protection between the good, honest citizen and the criminal.  I felt proud to be a part of that.  It has now been co-opted to represent full support of all police, regardless of whether an individual officer has failed to live up to the high standard of being a principled example for others to follow.  The "blue wall" is a reference to maintaining silence when an individual officer is being investigated for wrongdoing.  Don't talk to the "rat squad."  That is abhorent and has led to law enforcement losing the trust of much of the public.  The two references have been blurred together unfortunately.

I also agree with your civics lesson on the flag.  The US flag, when it is altered to represent something else, is disrespecting the flag and what it stands for.  I've see flags with the blue line, with the Marine Corps emblem, with a deer head in it, rainbow colored, etc.  All of these detract from what the US flag represents --- the United States.  The US flag is perfect the way it is.  It cannot be improved by adding to it.  By claiming the US flag for an individual group, people are disregarding the "United" part of the flag, but are dividing the country even further.  Flying flags which are torn, tattered, or faded, or flying them at night without being lit by a light also grate on me.

If Lethal Weapon has taught me anything, it's that you make constant sarcastic comments about accepting bribes while you're around someone from internal affairs.  It will inevitably lead to love.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Robin Lehner doing Robin Lehner things.

454122604_ScreenShot2022-08-15at10_20_08

Is this something that was fabricated by a less than adoring fan? What is the very fine print at the very bottom? I enlarged it and think it says "probably", so I have my doubts this is an actual quote. Although Lehner has the history to support such an outburst, I hope he isn't going to sink his NHL career with such a remark. He might be crazy and a loose cannon, but he knows where his paychecks are coming from. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Robin Lehner doing Robin Lehner things.

454122604_ScreenShot2022-08-15at10_20_08

Sounds like fake news with a fake quote. Considering I can't find this quote anywhere and no one is talking about him saying something so abrasive, unless you provide the source (was it an interview, his social media?) I am calling it bogus. If it was meant as a joke, I laughed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Sounds like fake news with a fake quote. Considering I can't find this quote anywhere and no one is talking about him saying something so abrasive, unless you provide the source (was it an interview, his social media?) I am calling it bogus. If it was meant as a joke, I laughed. 

I thought I had heard something about him not being thrilled with them, but obviously not to that extent.

40 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Is this something that was fabricated by a less than adoring fan? What is the very fine print at the very bottom? I enlarged it and think it says "probably", so I have my doubts this is an actual quote. Although Lehner has the history to support such an outburst, I hope he isn't going to sink his NHL career with such a remark. He might be crazy and a loose cannon, but he knows where his paychecks are coming from. 

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sorry I got taken in. Sometimes you let your guard down.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Last season, Dahlin arguably played better on the right-side. So besides which side of the body he shoots on, why would you move him back to the left-side?

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, that would be a ridiculously dumb move.  Granted small sample size, but that pairing has been the 1st time the Sabres have iced a legit top pairing since at least Ehrhoff's departure & likely since Myers magical rookie season which owed an awful lot to Tallinder. 

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I think that Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson on LD and Jokiharju, Subban, Lyubushkin on RD would be pretty poor player usage because I think the 3LD would be a better player than the 1RD.

I kind of doubt they would break them up as you say.  Granato/Adams have not seemed to care a great deal about maintaining LD/RD same side deployment.  Guys have been played on their off hand side pretty regularly.

To both points, I wouldn't disagree, but I'd also say you are both basing a lot on a small sample size from last year. I don't think ANYTHING in the roster is set and Granato will still experiment with pairings and chemistry. The "poor usage" as Curt put it is only if they decide their game plan functions better with righties on the right and lefties on the left. 

So, as this is hypothetical anyway, I don't think you are signing Subban if your plan is to play Dahlin on the right side. It would mean one of the righties goes to the left. Makes no sense. Subban isn't going to sign here as a depth player, he's going to want to play. So if they sign him, I have to assume Dahlin is on the left with somebody. 

As for the pairing, it depends on what Granato wants and how good players look in camp and early in the year. Maybe he will want more of a shut down pairing and he will play Samuelsson with Lyubushkin. I wouldn't, but who knows? Maybe he wants big minutes for Dahlin and he will get multiple partners? Maybe Power will be so good he will get paired with Dahlin? Really, I wouldn't base much on what happened last year. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Last season, Dahlin arguably played better on the right-side. So besides which side of the body he shoots on, why would you move him back to the left-side?

So why would you sign Subban? 

8 hours ago, kas23 said:

I wouldn’t. He a player we don’t have an obvious need for. 

I actually would sign him for the right price (and relatively shorter term) because a veteran D man added to this group wouldn't be a bad thing in the short term. Even if he ends up eventually on the bottom pairing the leadership would be valuable. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but if he's interested I'd consider it at this point. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.