Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I was saying back in February buyer needs to beware on Kadri. He's a good player, but he had an outlier career year in his contract season on an absolutely STACKED team. He's probably looking to get paid like a ppg player when his career says he's probably a 45-55 point guy...and he'll be 32 at the start of the season.

I wouldn’t want to be in on Kadri, but it seems I’m in the minority here. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I was saying back in February buyer needs to beware on Kadri. He's a good player, but he had an outlier career year in his contract season on an absolutely STACKED team. He's probably looking to get paid like a ppg player when his career says he's probably a 45-55 point guy...and he'll be 32 at the start of the season.

Absolutely, and I'm sure many teams were/are leery of signing him for that very reason, but in our case it ultimately comes down to whether or not the owner is still willing to spend money to win. It appears he is not. 

I have no doubt it's very likely signing Kadri would in a strict sense be an overpayment. So depending on how you look at it, in a point per game calculation or something it might not be great value, BUT if he makes the TEAM substantially better and we win more games as a result then the money is well spent even if his numbers are not up to contract value. I personally think that would happen. A lot more wins. 

Remember, if you keep your top line as it was Thompson-Skinner-Tuch and they keep producing offense, you add Kadri as your #2 center along with maybe Cozens and Asplund(?) you have a really good two way shut down line that you can play against other teams top lines. Then you get to throw out some sort of high powered offense on a third line of say Mitts, Olofsson, Quinn or Krebs or whoever wins the job that gets favourable match ups and isn't struggling trying to be a #2 line. The roster is simply a lot better and it's a lot easier to match other teams strengths and weaknesses. 

In year 5 of his contract you might be overpaying a 4th line center, but ultimately that would also mean you're a real cup contender. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I wouldn’t want to be in on Kadri, but it seems I’m in the minority here. 

I couldn't root for him.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Absolutely, and I'm sure many teams were/are leery of signing him for that very reason, but in our case it ultimately comes down to whether or not the owner is still willing to spend money to win. It appears he is not. 

I have no doubt it's very likely signing Kadri would in a strict sense be an overpayment. So depending on how you look at it, in a point per game calculation or something it might not be great value, BUT if he makes the TEAM substantially better and we win more games as a result then the money is well spent even if his numbers are not up to contract value. I personally think that would happen. A lot more wins. 

Remember, if you keep your top line as it was Thompson-Skinner-Tuch and they keep producing offense, you add Kadri as your #2 center along with maybe Cozens and Asplund(?) you have a really good two way shut down line that you can play against other teams top lines. Then you get to throw out some sort of high powered offense on a third line of say Mitts, Olofsson, Quinn or Krebs or whoever wins the job that gets favourable match ups and isn't struggling trying to be a #2 line. The roster is simply a lot better and it's a lot easier to match other teams strengths and weaknesses. 

In year 5 of his contract you might be overpaying a 4th line center, but ultimately that would also mean you're a real cup contender. 

The ownerS have never shied away from spending money on this team.  But there is a cap crunch coming up, and it would be irresponsible to spend big money on Kadri now.  If there's one thing that Adams is doing right, it's handling that future situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Oh i have no problems with Kadri for the right price and right term... 2 years... 8 mil, or 1 year 10 mil... What he bring is hustle, scoring, playing thru pain... team player on the ice and grit... doubt he'd go for it but who knows..

Edited by North Buffalo

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering it was played w/ a high stick & shouldn't even have counted, how is that #1?  Was #2 Hull kicking the puck to his stick causing him to be in the crease ahead of the puck?

Breaking the rules to score a goal?  Seems very creative to me.

Edited by shrader

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I want no part of Kadri.

A defenseman like PK or Stralman on a 1 or 2 year contract, sure.

A solid center like Stastny to center my fourth line for a year, go for it. 

Stastny is a 4th line C on a deep contender or some sort of allstar team.  He is a perennial 40+ point scorer, skating 17+ mins per night and scored 20 goals last season.

On the Sabres, he is a 2nd line or middle-6 C.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Stastny is a 4th line C on a deep contender or some sort of allstar team.  He is a perennial 40+ point scorer, skating 17+ mins per night and scored 20 goals last season.

On the Sabres, he is a 2nd line or middle-6 C.

Is he still worth it?

Can the boys learn anything from him? 

It feels like they could still use one good vet who can win some faceoffs and share some experience in a potential playoff run but i'm not sure who.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

The ownerS have never shied away from spending money on this team.  But there is a cap crunch coming up, and it would be irresponsible to spend big money on Kadri now.  If there's one thing that Adams is doing right, it's handling that future situation.

The owner DID spend money in the past, and the team sucked, and then he hired KA and we became a cap floor team barely scraping together dead contracts to reach that floor so is he still a guy willing to spend? It's a valid question. 

There is no cap crunch coming. If Thompson has another good season he's in line for a solid payday. Nobody else has shown signs of getting a big contract yet. There's no crunch, and a Kadri deal could be structured to end around the time there might be a cap crunch which is in about 5 years. Not now. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The comments are GOLD!

that's cringey - but it's not half as bad as what the flames did in 1986 (as indicated in the replies). also, the 1986 "song" appears to have been approved by the franchise, whereas the weirdness clipped above looks to have been a DIY fan project (?).

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There is no cap crunch coming. If Thompson has another good season he's in line for a solid payday. Nobody else has shown signs of getting a big contract yet. There's no crunch, and a Kadri deal could be structured to end around the time there might be a cap crunch which is in about 5 years. Not now. 

There are only three skaters under contract after the season after the upcoming one.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

that's cringey - but it's not half as bad as what the flames did in 1986 (as indicated in the replies). also, the 1986 "song" appears to have been approved by the franchise, whereas the weirdness clipped above looks to have been a DIY fan project (?).

That’s just good clean fun.  I know that this particular thing from 1986  was obviously lame, (though maybe seemed less lame in ‘86?) but I wish NHL teams tried to do fun things more often.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and? 

That doesn't mean anything unless they've played to a level where they demand a raise by NHL levels. There's plenty of cap room. 

Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Jokiharju, Krebs and Bryson for starters all end in 2 years. Cozens and Thompson following this year. 

At minimum Dahlin will need a raise as will Thompson. Jokiharju, Krebs and Mitts could potentially need money and we need breathing room for Power’s contract. So we have 2 years, not 5 to play with cap. 33 year old Kadri at 8mil is not worth losing a Mid 6 younger player in Mitts or Krebs who need 5mil. Best case scenario both round into solid mid 6 players, even 1 of them reaching that point puts a dire strain on our cap space with Kadri. Then comes Quinn and Peterka in 3 years. 

A Stastny or Larsson type make sense for 1 or 2 years. A Kadri doesn’t work as he’d either be Taylor Hall 2.0 or overpaid into his late 30s

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s just good clean fun.  I know that this particular thing from 1986  was obviously lame, (though maybe seemed less lame in ‘86?) but I wish NHL teams tried to do fun things more often.

Fair.

The Bowman era Sabres did something similar, right?

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Oof. That reminds me of this...

https://youtu.be/XyNh1j3dsp8

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Jokiharju, Krebs and Bryson for starters all end in 2 years. Cozens and Thompson following this year. 

At minimum Dahlin will need a raise as will Thompson. Jokiharju, Krebs and Mitts could potentially need money and we need breathing room for Power’s contract. So we have 2 years, not 5 to play with cap. 33 year old Kadri at 8mil is not worth losing a Mid 6 younger player in Mitts or Krebs who need 5mil. Best case scenario both round into solid mid 6 players, even 1 of them reaching that point puts a dire strain on our cap space with Kadri. Then comes Quinn and Peterka in 3 years. 

A Stastny or Larsson type make sense for 1 or 2 years. A Kadri doesn’t work as he’d either be Taylor Hall 2.0 or overpaid into his late 30s

Bingo.

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Holy spit - this is from the same year that the Flames did theirs as linked above!

Woah

I have a sneaking suspicion that if they drug tested everyone there, 1/4 to 1/2 of those players would probably have something illegal in them. 😂

that’s the first time I’ve seen that… Good god that was awful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.