Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

17 hours ago, Curt said:

What a huge trade.  Florida gets cost certainty and Tkachuk is younger and definitely brings a different style than Huberdeau.  I’m not sure that Florida actually got better for next season though.  They are going to miss Weegar a lot and they are going to need to ditch someone else to get under the cap.  Probably Hornqvist.

Their defense now looks kind of weak.

Ekblad - Montour

Frostling - Gudas

Staal - Själin/Carlsson 

If your top pairing has Montour in it, you are NOT winning the cup. If that's their D, it's not just weak, it's absolute crap. Going to have to win games 7-6 and Bob gonna have to Bob around a whole lot. 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Up until last year, I thought Florida was the best run roster in the league.  Not anymore.  They have marginally at best improved their roster.....or maybe even just 'moved things around' without making them better, yet they have given up so much to do so.

They still should be a top team. I think they will take a SMALL step back this year (still compete for the division though), but all the moves they made haven't helped them in a medium term way much for what they gave up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Likely a combination of him asking for too much initially, teams went with plan B's, now virtually no cap space left among true contenders. So Avs and everybody else might be looking to clear cap space, but his price probably also has to come down. 

A friend at work near NYC listened to a radio show stating Sabres were in on Kadri... not sure if that rumor is about Sabres taking on Cap or less likely trying to sign him.

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol still calling Reinhart soft in 2022. Fantastic. 

Sam isnt soft but I wouldnt say he is aggressively tough... more effectively persistent... with great hands... but he really doesnt lay the body on anyone or move them out of the way.

Edited by North Buffalo

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol still calling Reinhart soft in 2022. Fantastic. 

From what I read of the post you are responding to, I think the post was meant to say 'soft' is just the flip side of getting 'tougher'.  You have to admit, Reinhart is not a player that brings extra toughness to a team.  I mean, I don't think 'toughness' is needed in the modern NHL as much as it was, but how do you define softness?  By most metrics of fans, he would be a soft player.  When watching him, he certainly does not initiate contact.  Statistically, he is 2nd or 3rd last on his team in terms of hits per 60.  He doesn't 'mix it up' in any significant way seeing he only gets a penalty called on him every 10-15 games.  The playoffs are generally considered a tighter/tougher time of the year....FL played Wash and Tampa (2 teams in the top 5 in hits for the year) and Sam totaled 4 points in 10 games.   

Again, if we are going to use the word soft...and I personally do NOT like using it and never have called a player soft on this forum...but if you are going to use it, I think many people would consider the above a good metric for it.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it would be more apropos to look at how hard Reinhart is to play against by a few metrics.

Hits is one thing.

How many turnovers does he force?

How strong is he in puck possession?

Does he shutdown the other team when he's on the ice?

Foam blocks are not tough, until you fall in a pit of them and try to move.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I think it would be more apropos to look at how hard Reinhart is to play against by a few metrics.

Hits is one thing.

How many turnovers does he force?

How strong is he in puck possession?

Does he shutdown the other team when he's on the ice?

Foam blocks are not tough, until you fall in a pit of them and try to move.

I agree, I am not saying he is not hard to play against, but the context of this was brought up as he was a 'soft' forward in contrast to adding 'toughness', and from the post I read, it seemed to infer that softness or toughness was from a physical aspect.

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

A friend at work near NYC listened to a radio show stating Sabres were in on Kadri... not sure if that rumor is about Sabres taking on Cap or less likely trying to sign him.

Maybe the Sabres are sweeping in to say “We can give you $8 million but only for a 2 year term”  I doubt it though.

The Isles have done nothing. I see them as a landing spot. Maybe he has signed there and Lou is not going to announce it until Sept.😀

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I know some people here hate the guy but it would be a smart move and make us a real contender imo. It would also signal to the league and other free agents next year that we are a serious team again. We have the cap space for sure. You spend big on him for 5 years and his deal expires right around the time you need your Power/Quinn/Peterka/whoever money. 

You bring in Kadri this year. Next year you add in Kane and a real goalie if Comrie doesn't measure up . Everything can change quickly and it can begin here. 

Past history however makes me think he's just using us as a negotiating ploy or a back up plan and at best it'll be another Taylor Hall situation. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Unbelievable that Kadri remains unsigned.  I wonder what's going on there.

If I had to guess he's got one team offering him beaucoup bux and trying to use that offer to get big bucks from his preferred team.  That or he's asking for more term than anyone wants to pay.

I'm also guessing it's his agent pushing it more than him.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If I had to guess he's got one team offering him beaucoup bux and trying to use that offer to get big bucks from his preferred team.  That or he's asking for more term than anyone wants to pay.

I'm also guessing it's his agent pushing it more than him.

Maybe not the best approach given that the purse strings have tightened for many teams this late into free agency.

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres just made #1 on TSN’s “Most creative sports plays of all time” top 10. 

...being posterized by Trevor Zegras lol

It’s a great play but most creative ever? 

Considering it was played w/ a high stick & shouldn't even have counted, how is that #1?  Was #2 Hull kicking the puck to his stick causing him to be in the crease ahead of the puck?

Just now, Taro T said:

Considering it was played w/ a high stick & shouldn't even have counted, how is that #1?  Was #2 Hull kicking the puck to his stick causing him to be in the crease ahead of the puck?

The Hull play was 6th

• Vomit 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:14 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Likely a combination of him asking for too much initially, teams went with plan B's, now virtually no cap space left among true contenders. So Avs and everybody else might be looking to clear cap space, but his price probably also has to come down. 

I was saying back in February buyer needs to beware on Kadri. He's a good player, but he had an outlier career year in his contract season on an absolutely STACKED team. He's probably looking to get paid like a ppg player when his career says he's probably a 45-55 point guy...and he'll be 32 at the start of the season.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.