Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

2 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

does anybody think this is good management...

For Matthew Tkachuk, 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau

- MacKenzie Weegar

- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)

- 1st round pick (23)

- 1st round pick (24)

- 1st round pick (25)

- 3rd round pick (24)

- 2 Prospects

Not particularly.

Tkachuk at least they signed so you could convince me Huberdeau, a 1st, and Weegar is an okay trade because 2 of them at ufas next year. But I guess when you're that close you gotta take your cup shot.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not particularly.

Tkachuk at least they signed so you could convince me Huberdeau, a 1st, and Weegar is an okay trade because 2 of them at ufas next year. But I guess when you're that close you gotta take your cup shot.

Flags fly forever. They’re in the one piece away from a cup mode. 

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

What are Floridas centers now?

Barkov and Lundell are their top 2 centers. Could play Reinhart at center as well. 

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, but it doesn't say "Around the CHL 2003," either.  He might have a point.

Where do those 2003 players most likely play now?

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Both teams lost the trade congratulations.

I think Florida is bit weaker this season having lost a top 4 D.
We will see what Huberdeau gets Calgary at the deadline and whether Weegar extends there. He has a chance for more minutes there by not being behind Ekblad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Tkachuk - at least he wasn't traded to the Blues.  I think Calgary did the best they could given the situation.  I'm surprised that Huberdeau has already said he won't sign an extension but I'm sure it was quite a shock to him that he was traded and feeling that Florida was on the brink of breaking through.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out now.

I agree that Florida's defense looks like it could use some help.

13 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think Florida is bit weaker this season having lost a top 4 D.
We will see what Huberdeau gets Calgary at the deadline and whether Weegar extends there. He has a chance for more minutes there by not being behind Ekblad.

Huberdeau is one of those superstars that will continue to be great after age 34 

Tkachuks body will break down in 2-3 years and is a cancer 

Big L for everyone 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Definitely a weird trade... I get Fla was trying to get tougher but JH wasnt the issue imo... guys like Sammy and a few other soft forwards are... plus losing Weiger who is tough on the back end makes them softer...

RHD too.

WEEGAR!!

😎

2013 Memorial Cup champion Halifax Moosehead.  Drafted 206th overall (5th from last pick) in 2013.  Stud!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Definitely a weird trade... I get Fla was trying to get tougher but JH wasnt the issue imo... guys like Sammy and a few other soft forwards are... plus losing Weiger who is tough on the back end makes them softer...

Lol still calling Reinhart soft in 2022. Fantastic. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I think part of it was that Huberdeau is 29 and has just one one year left.  They maybe were hesitant to commit a big 6-8 year, $9-10M contract to a 30 year old. They were able to change him out for another star winger signed for similar money for ages 25-32 instead.  That’s a big deal.  They might feel like they increased their window for contention by 3-4 years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, Weave said:

Regardless, anyone rooting for the Sabres had no room to throw shade over that stat.

Why?  1.  It busts on TO.  2.  The Laffs have had a much longer drought of getting to the second round than the Sabres have.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:16 PM, Weave said:

At this point the Leafs are a much more respected organization

I beg to differ.  To many they are still a laughing stock of futility.

8 hours ago, Digger said:

Tkachuk - at least he wasn't traded to the Blues.  I think Calgary did the best they could given the situation.  I'm surprised that Huberdeau has already said he won't sign an extension but I'm sure it was quite a shock to him that he was traded and feeling that Florida was on the brink of breaking through.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out now.

I agree that Florida's defense looks like it could use some help.

Is the help they're looking for left handed, by chance?

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Why does this division have to keep getting harder and harder?

Their forward group is more hard-nosed, but their D is weaker.  Are they actually any better as a team?

5 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Wonder what the holdup is with Kadri? Avs trying to clear cap space to re-sign him?

Likely a combination of him asking for too much initially, teams went with plan B's, now virtually no cap space left among true contenders. So Avs and everybody else might be looking to clear cap space, but his price probably also has to come down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.