Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I read a TSN article today about a CDN Jr team from 03. It recently came to light that team sexually assaulted a woman. Says there's a video of approximately six players having sex with a woman who's unresponsive and face up on a pool table. 

I'm really surprised Hockey Canada isn't getting discussed more on here. 

First I’ve heard of it, honestly.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

To me this 03’ one is a tad absurd; the crime is awful but it happened 19 years ago and seemingly only came out of the woodwork due to the other cases. Why now exactly?

Part of me wants justice, and another part of me just sees this as a mud-raking affair against hockey Canada.

I guess in the end I don’t want this onslaught of sexual allegations to effect hockey like it has in most sectors. Instead of reforming and striking out the misbehaviors; they wildly overcompensate and try to “womanize” or worse water everything down to critique equals sexism and competition is wrong. (The Video game and YouTube media industry has been plagued by this and the usual response is to either kill everything or fundamentally change everything regardless of its involvement in the problem to begin with)

So, we’ll just left the gang rape go by? Old news? Bygones be bygones? These allegations are beyond vile. She was unresponsive and a video has emerged and given to police. This is why it’s occurring 19 years later. Because she probably had zero evidence at the time and would likely be blamed by our culture of silence. It if negatively affects hockey, so be it. This is disgusting. Listen you yourself. What if this was your wife or daughter?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

My guess is it’s partially due to the Canada/American divide, partially due to most people not really wanting to hear about it, and partially an almost numbing effect from the sudden frequency they’ve been coming out as of late.

To me this 03’ one is a tad absurd; the crime is awful but it happened 19 years ago and seemingly only came out of the woodwork due to the other cases. Why now exactly?

Part of me wants justice, and another part of me just sees this as a mud-raking affair against hockey Canada. To which I fear the eventual reaction will turn Hockey Canada into the most over the top “Woke” sport organization where trash talk is banned, they actively inundate us with Women’s hockey news like how ESPN obsesses over the WNBA and coaches are essentially forced to coddle players regardless of circumstances because yelling at any of them may offend or hurt someone’s feelings. Sometimes people need a figurative kick in the ass to become a good player. Hockey Canada like USA Hockey should in part be looking to bring the best out of players and draw upon competition to perfect it. Not tell everyone that playing hard is mean to your opponent and you should ease up to not hurt their feelings.

Rant over.

I guess in the end I don’t want this onslaught of sexual allegations to effect hockey like it has in most sectors. Instead of reforming and striking out the misbehaviors; they wildly overcompensate and try to “womanize” or worse water everything down to critique equals sexism and competition is wrong. (The Video game and YouTube media industry has been plagued by this and the usual response is to either kill everything or fundamentally change everything regardless of its involvement in the problem to begin with)

so the 03 one is coming to light cause the players filmed it with a camera and then just left the tape in the camera. The guy who owned camera wasn’t part of the assault and watched it later. The players told him to delete it but he apparently just kept it and is now giving it to the police. This girl may not even know what happened as she apparently was just passed out on a pool table. 

Is there a reason allegations of sexual impropriety by a Canadian Junior team from 19 years ago is the main point of discussion in the "around the NHL: 2022 off-season" thread?

Not saying it isn't worthy of discussion, but not real sure what it has to do w/ transactions in the NHL's off-season.

Edited by Taro T
  • dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Digger said:

Tkachuk traded to Florida for for Huberdeau, Weegar, Cole Schwindt and a first

signed for 8 years x $9.5

That's a much better return than I expected them to get given the way Tkachuk cut their legs out from under them.

Tkachuk is a couple years younger, but I don't see him as being an upgrade over Huberdeau. Plus CGY gets a solid blue-liner, a prospect and a 1st. I'm assuming Weegar was thrown in to cut some salary and the 1st likely ends up a late pick, but I don't see how this deal makes FLA much better. I'd be thrilled with that deal if I'm a Flames fan.

*EDIT - Well, Huberdeau is a FA after next season, so he's essentially a rental. I guess he gives them a shot at one more run this season.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

That's a much better return than I expected them to get given the way Tkachuk cut their legs out from under them.

Agreed.  I always liked Huberdeau so I think Calgary has done okay.  Weegar too.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

Agreed.  I always liked Huberdeau so I think Calgary has done okay.  Weegar too.  

I thought so, too. Then I realized Huberdeau is a FA after next season, making him essentially a one year rental. Unless they can convince him to re-sign. I guess he at least gives them one more shot at playoff run?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Wow

Much bigger deal than unexpected it to be. I figured given the situation, CGY would have to settle for some prospects/picks and maybe a middle six forward in return. Never would have thought a player the calibre of Huberdeau would be involved, even if he basically a rental.

The Hockey News

PANTHERS ACQUIRE TKACHUK FROM FLAMES IN BLOCKBUSTER TRADE, SIGN HIM TO EIGHT-YEAR EXTENSION

The Florida Panthers pulled off a blockbuster, acquiring forward Matthew Tkachuk in exchange for Jonathan Huberdeau, defenseman Mackenzie Weegar, prospect Cole Schwindt, and a first-round pick.

The craziest trade of the salary cap era just unfolded tonight. 

The Florida Panthers shocked the world in the wee hours of Friday night, acquiring superstar forward Matthew Tkachuk in exchange for another superstar forward in Jonathan Huberdeau along with defenseman Mackenzie Weegar, prospect Cole Schwindt, and a 2025 first-round pick. 

Immediately following the trade, Tkachuk and the Panthers then agreed to terms on an eight-year contract extension worth an average annual value of $9.5 million that will tie Tkachuk to Florida through the 2029-30 season. 

It's truly difficult to put into words how explosive this move is. 

Tkachuk and Huberdeau were both Hart Trophy candidates last season, each topping 100 points in 2021-22, and were now just traded for each other in a deal that has shaken the very fabric of the league. 

Somehow, Calgary managed to take a dire situation and turn it into an opportunity to improve, adding arguably the best playmaker in the NHL, a top-four defender, a decent prospect, and a first-round draft pick to their organization in exchange for a player that had already told them his future lay elsewhere.

Well that just happened

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The Hockey News

PANTHERS ACQUIRE TKACHUK FROM FLAMES IN BLOCKBUSTER TRADE, SIGN HIM TO EIGHT-YEAR EXTENSION

The Florida Panthers pulled off a blockbuster, acquiring forward Matthew Tkachuk in exchange for Jonathan Huberdeau, defenseman Mackenzie Weegar, prospect Cole Schwindt, and a first-round pick.

The craziest trade of the salary cap era just unfolded tonight. 

The Florida Panthers shocked the world in the wee hours of Friday night, acquiring superstar forward Matthew Tkachuk in exchange for another superstar forward in Jonathan Huberdeau along with defenseman Mackenzie Weegar, prospect Cole Schwindt, and a 2025 first-round pick. 

Immediately following the trade, Tkachuk and the Panthers then agreed to terms on an eight-year contract extension worth an average annual value of $9.5 million that will tie Tkachuk to Florida through the 2029-30 season. 

It's truly difficult to put into words how explosive this move is. 

Tkachuk and Huberdeau were both Hart Trophy candidates last season, each topping 100 points in 2021-22, and were now just traded for each other in a deal that has shaken the very fabric of the league. 

Somehow, Calgary managed to take a dire situation and turn it into an opportunity to improve, adding arguably the best playmaker in the NHL, a top-four defender, a decent prospect, and a first-round draft pick to their organization in exchange for a player that had already told them his future lay elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

So now they move Huberdeau amirite?

Also, those of you who were adamant that Tkachuk is a selfish, unsportsmanlike, player and not worth it, now you get to have him and his brother in your division for the rest of time. Win?

Edited by Contempt

I think Florida definitely got the upper hand here as they get a 25 year old in the prime of his career for a 30 year old who had a career year but getting Weegar and a 1st round pick although most likely a late round pick was a solid get. I doubt Huberdeau re-signs so I don't really like that for Calgary but a solid return knowing the player stated he wouldn't re-sign there imo.

Calgary had to make this deal thinking if they are not in great position come trade deadline, but of these guys can be moved then.  I think a 30 year old forward coming off of a 100 point season is going to have a LOT of value to a team fighting for, or in the playoffs next spring (I'm talking young prospects, possibly a teams top prospect and at least a first rounder).  

Calgary lost too much this year to keep him and seriously think they are making a cup run.  They have to be thinking of flipping these guys and then doing a rebuild.

As for Florida, This is going to give them some cap issues going forward, at least less flexibility if not issues.  But they look to be a very, very good team for a long time. Toronto needs to get their cup soon or else they will be looking at Florida as the team they cannot get past.  Florida will have a 'core' of Barkhov (26 years old), Tkachuk (24 years old), Reinhart (26 years old), Bennet (26 years old), Duclair (injured but 26 years old) and Verhaege (26 years old). That is just up front. All those guys got at least mid 20's in goals, most in the 30s last year. Most of your D-unit now is not even in their prime, and you have Spence Knight coming up in net at only 21.

Edited by mjd1001

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

$9.5 in Florida would be $11 in most places.

I think this trade weakens Florida this year but is better for them long term with Huberdeau and Weegar’s cap situations.

Yes and No.  No state income tax helps, so that is good vs many states and blows away what you pay in Canada.  However, Florida isn't the 'cost of living, stretch your dollar farther here better than anywhere else' place it used to be.  Real estate values (low end, mid, and high end) have gone up quite a bit, where now there are other places you can get the same house for a lot less.  Property taxes have doubled or more in the past decade in many areas. Insurance rates are way up.  Even everyday stuff is more expensive (we have relatives down there and visit a few times per year. Wegmans and even Tops have lower prices on many things that places down there like Publix, and even some of the Walmart Supercenters are on a different price plan where some items at a Walmart up here are less money than down there). One of the tech websites just did an article last week comparing 'private label' prices to generic, and they compared a basket of good at Wegmans (up north) to Publix (Florida) and the prices at Wegmans were much less overall.

So yes, overall he is in a better spot in terms of money than if he were in NY, New Jersey, Buffalo, and a few other places and certainly anywhere in Canada. Some players look at that for sure but the difference isn't as big as it used to be.

Edited by mjd1001

What a huge trade.  Florida gets cost certainty and Tkachuk is younger and definitely brings a different style than Huberdeau.  I’m not sure that Florida actually got better for next season though.  They are going to miss Weegar a lot and they are going to need to ditch someone else to get under the cap.  Probably Hornqvist.

Their defense now looks kind of weak.

Ekblad - Montour

Frostling - Gudas

Staal - Själin/Carlsson 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Is there a reason allegations of sexual impropriety by a Canadian Junior team from 19 years ago is the main point of discussion in the "around the NHL: 2022 off-season" thread?

Not saying it isn't worthy of discussion, but not real sure what it has to do w/ transactions in the NHL's off-season.

This thread title doesn't say "offseason transactions"

does anybody think this is good management...

For Matthew Tkachuk, 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau

- MacKenzie Weegar

- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)

- 1st round pick (23)

- 1st round pick (24)

- 1st round pick (25)

- 3rd round pick (24)

- 2 Prospects

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.