Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The ask to take JVR is Florida’s 2024 1st, Fletcher has balked at that so far 

That is not a big ask.  It's two years down the road and it's top ten protected.  I'm not sure I would help Philly get better and take on JVR for just that pick.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That is not a big ask.  It's two years down the road and it's top ten protected.  I'm not sure I would help Philly get better and take on JVR for just that pick.

If he signs with Philly they are still a hopeless bucket of dysentery.

If he signs with NJ they just became a likely playoff team.

Him ending up in Philly is exactly what any sane team in the east wants.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Someone will help them, it might as well be the Sabres. JVR would be a flippable asset at the TDL.  Stockpile future picks for trades 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I’m not convinced that helping philly sign 29 year old Gadreau to a huge money 7 year contract is actually helping them.

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Someone will help them, it might as well be the Sabres. JVR would be a flippable asset at the TDL.  Stockpile future picks for trades 

Getting a 1st from PHI for taking JVR, then getting another 1st for him at the deadline could be a sweet, and not wholly unrealistic, result.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m starting to feel doomed… and Adams can’t really do anything about it.

1. Multiple Western Conference big name players are coming east. 

2. Our peers in Detroit, Ottawa, and NJD are improving drastically.

3. Our division is a death trap

If Copp ends up in Detroit, Gaudreau in NJ and Giroux ends up in Ottawa we are in more trouble.

Not to mention even when our GM makes good trade proposals; the deal is blown up by a player or circumstance.

Even if Adams were to be aggressive, I’m pessimistic it would make any difference. Our only option may end up being hoping the vibes and brotherhood of our inferior roster to drive it well above their pay grade.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

St Louis just gave Thomas 8 x 8.  If Tage has another huge year how kuch is his new deal going to be?

It will be approaching the same ballpark now. He doesn't need another year.

Thomas is one year younger and had 33, 42 and 12 point seasons prior to breaking out with 77 this year.

He also has 42 career goals, peaking at 20 this year.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

St Louis just gave Thomas 8 x 8.  If Tage has another huge year how kuch is his new deal going to be?

TT had 38-30-68 last year and turns 25 in October.

If he has, say, 36-36-72 this year, he'll get more next summer than Thomas just got from STL -- and he'll be worth it, since he'll be a no-BS #1 or #2 NHL center who can score it and pass it and who will be just entering his prime.

And at that point we'll likely be glad we didn't give a huge contract to Jack Campbell or Darcy Kuemper.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m starting to feel doomed… and Adams can’t really do anything about it.

1. Multiple Western Conference big name players are coming east. 

2. Our peers in Detroit, Ottawa, and NJD are improving drastically.

3. Our division is a death trap

If Copp ends up in Detroit, Gaudreau in NJ and Giroux ends up in Ottawa we are in more trouble.

Not to mention even when our GM makes good trade proposals; the deal is blown up by a player or circumstance.

Even if Adams were to be aggressive, I’m pessimistic it would make any difference. Our only option may end up being hoping the vibes and brotherhood of our inferior roster to drive it well above their pay grade.

Agree but KA will get hammered anyway. I would have liked to upgrade goalies. Husso deal looked right in the ballpark but my guess is he wanted Detroit. Maybe we will still be able to find a goalie, let's hope.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

TT had 38-30-68 last year and turns 25 in October.

If he has, say, 36-36-72 this year, he'll get more next summer than Thomas just got from STL -- and he'll be worth it, since he'll be a no-BS #1 or #2 NHL center who can score it and pass it and who will be just entering his prime.

And at that point we'll likely be glad we didn't give a huge contract to Jack Campbell or Darcy Kuemper.

Giving Kuemper or Campbell money is meaningless to whether or not Tage gets big $.  We can afford both. However signing 30+ year old goalies to long-term deals is foolish on it’s own merits.  However not properly addressing goaltending at all on a young and developing team is also foolish.

KA’s problem is Cozens Tage and Samuelsson coming due after this season and then Mitts, Dahlin, Joki, Power and Krebs due the following year.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Giving Kuemper or Campbell money is meaningless to whether or not Tage gets big $.  We can afford both. However signing 30+ year old goalies to long-term deals is foolish on it’s own merits.  However not properly addressing goaltending at all on a young and developing team is also foolish.

KA’s problem is Cozens Tage and Samuelsson coming due after this season and then Mitts, Dahlin, Joki, Power and Krebs due the following year.

I appreciate you perfectly refuting the 1st bolded part with the 2nd bolded part!

I am reasonably confident that KA will bring in a credible goalie, and will be as PO'd as anyone if he doesn't do so.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.