Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

The problem I have with the logic here is it isn't applied evenly everywhere. He says sign Olofsson for 3 years in case the kids aren't ready and sign Hinostroza for 2 years as a placeholder of sorts but he's saying we don't want a goalie to "block" Levi as if he thinks Levi will magically jump into the starting role in a year or two. Utter nonsense. Levi is 3 or more years away from being an NHL starter. Signing a decent goalie for 3 years (like Yzerman did with Husso) doesn't "block" anyone, it just creates stability and depth and allows the team in front of that goalie to gain confidence (and win more). It's a contradiction of logic that simply serves as a justification for the failure to act. 

I suspect what we will see is close to what will happen though, and it's disappointing. This team is ripe for additions to take it over the hump, and not for more patient slow waiting. 

We don't always agree but on the goalie issue we are in accord. I'm just hoping that the GM comes up with a reasonable addition to the backstop position, even if it is for the short-term. I do believe that for the most part Lance's thoughts reflect the GM's line of thought. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

David Krejci going back to Boston. 

Damn 

I've heard this. Not sure how they will make the money work but it looks like Bruins are going to try for one final kick at the can with their old core (and it appears that the Krejci hated Cassidy rumour is true and in the end that might be why Cassidy was fired).

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Really?  Seems like when he is able to play, he is still excellent, no?

year          GP      G       A        P       +/-

17-18        78     42      56      98        16

18-19         68     21       51      72      -25

19-20        55     25       49     74         7

20-21        33     8         20     28       -4 

21-22        41    20        22      42      -10

His last really good year was 17-18 and previous to that he was oft injured back to 11-12 but was dominate when he played.  I can't look at 20-21 and try to compare it to anything so I lined it out.

Unless he really has a great summer training/rehabbing I believe his stats will continue as we have seen for the last 3 full seasons. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/evgeni-malkin-8471215

You can look at his full stats for his last 5 games played. Crosby got hurt and his minutes greatly increased for the next 2 games, then they dropped right back down for the last game. He is a Wiley old veteran that will give you all he has when the team needs it the most, but I'm sure his excellent days will be at best sporadic for the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

His last really good year was 17-18 and previous to that he was oft injured back to 11-12 but was dominate when he played.  I can't look at 20-21 and try to compare it to anything so I lined it out.

Unless he really has a great summer training/rehabbing I believe his stats will continue as we have seen for the last 3 full seasons. 

You can look at his full stats for his last 5 games played. Crosby got hurt and his minutes greatly increased for the next 2 games, then they dropped right back down for the last game. He is a Wiley old veteran that will give you all he has when the team needs it the most, but I'm sure his excellent days will be at best sporadic for the rest of his career.

19-20 looks like a damn good year. 74 points in 55 games is the equivalent to 110 points over 82 games. 

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Injuries are one thing.  I agree, I’m not sure he can be trusted to stay healthy.

However, when he is on the ice, the performance has been there.  I’m not sure how you can say otherwise.  21-22 he paced for 40 goals, 84 points.  19-20 he paced for 37 and 110.  Is that not good enough?

On 7/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, Flashsabre said:

Friedman reporting Matt Murray to Toronto talks are heating up.

My God PLEASE let this happen😁

Dubas’ strategy is just to get all his former Soo Greyhounds and everything will be great.

Taking a goalie with mental issues and dumping him into the Toronto Media Market is an absolute recipe for disaster.

I think it's going to work out OK. I just read this on TSN:

But given the salary commitment of close to US$4.69 million over the next two seasons — Ottawa is picking up 25 per cent of his $6.25-million cap hit through 2023-24 — it's safe to assume Murray will be the starter.

"I'm extremely motivated," he said Tuesday. "I've got lots to prove."

He's extremely motivated! Lol...

31 minutes ago, Sakman said:

But given the salary commitment of close to US$4.69 million over the next two seasons — Ottawa is picking up 25 per cent of his $6.25-million cap hit through 2023-24 — it's safe to assume Murray will be the starter.

Hey!  Did you watch the Granato video?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sakman said:

For Toronto to repeat as good of a year next year as they had this year, you would think they will need similar goaltending.

Campbell last year gave the Leafs a 2.64 GAA and a .914 GAA.  His career numbers (including time with Tor, Kings and 1 game with DAL) are 2.53 and 9.16

Murray the last 2 years has a 3.05 and a 3.38 GAA and .906 and .893 Save %.   Career he is at 2.77 and .911 (with time behind a VERY discipline Pitt team)

Murray is essentially replacing Campbell, the question is, can he step up his career numbers and his recent numbers behind the Leafs D and replicate what Campbell gave them last year?

To me, Murray's ceiling, the most you can expect out of him would be to maybe, MAYBE match what campbell did last year.  I don't think they are getting an improvement and they are likely going to get a lesser performance.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Hey!  Did you watch the Granato video?

I did not...what am I am I missing?

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

For Toronto to repeat as good of a year next year as they had this year, you would think they will need similar goaltending.

Campbell last year gave the Leafs a 2.64 GAA and a .914 GAA.  His career numbers (including time with Tor, Kings and 1 game with DAL) are 2.53 and 9.16

Murray the last 2 years has a 3.05 and a 3.38 GAA and .906 and .893 Save %.   Career he is at 2.77 and .911 (with time behind a VERY discipline Pitt team)

Murray is essentially replacing Campbell, the question is, can he step up his career numbers and his recent numbers behind the Leafs D and replicate what Campbell gave them last year?

To me, Murray's ceiling, the most you can expect out of him would be to maybe, MAYBE match what campbell did last year.  I don't think they are getting an improvement and they are likely going to get a lesser performance.

I think it will be a sh*t show, and I love it. 

And the Rangers attempt at getting all the high end players with big bloated contracts… Like usual… Will backfire. Because the chemistry or coaching won’t be right… And so they will fail as per usual 😂

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.