Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I feel like we should have a pinned post about this but this team should not have to release anyone for cap reasons. They will have their top four forwards at a ridiculously low cumulative number. Another three or four at entry level contracts and a veteran or two at third/fourth line prices.

They have their number three defenseman at a good number.

They should have a good number on one of their goalies for a couple years.

And, the cap is going to explode by at least $10M.

The Sabres have a number of quality prospects in the pipeline. So when the time comes when a tough cap decision has to be made, the Sabres will have cheaper young players to replace some of the more expensive roll players. Like you, the cap issue is something I'm not overly worried about. The Sabres are close to the point where this team is ready up to the next rung. Making smart moves in the near term to push the process forward is my major concern. 

2 hours ago, MBD said:

I know you didn't ask me, but it tells me that KA was serious about adding him, which is good, but you can't make people come to you.

Asking JohnC specifically because he has been very steadfast in saying Adams was not interested in that type of trade.

But always interested in other points of view. Mine mirrors yours in this case.

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

Savoie with 1G 1A so far, game is in the third.

I would rather be looking at the Sabres playoff chances but…

I didn’t realize how good he was when he was young.  I saw a stat about how dominant Bedard has been and Savoie put up some ridiculous numbers as well. 

On 3/6/2023 at 6:05 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope the Sabres take a stab at one or two of these guys. They usually don’t amount to much but you can find the odd keeper. At worst, Rochester gets a body or two.

The list may change, this was published in the fall. There are others who may have had breakout seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I hope the Sabres take a stab at one or two of these guys. They usually don’t amount to much but you can find the odd keeper. At worst, Rochester gets a body or two.

The list may change, this was published in the fall. There are others who may have had breakout seasons.

Chad Ruhwedel has carved out a solid career from such a signing, but that is the type of player we should expect from a college UFA signing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Matt Savoie draft year: 90 points in 65 games 1.38 pts/g

Dylan Cozens draft year: 84 points in 68 games 1.24 pts/g

Matt Savoie D+1 year: 83 points in 56 games 1.48 pts/g

Dylan Cozens D+1 year: 85 points in 51 games 1.67 pts/g

I would like to add that Savoie is trending up since January and should end up over 1.5 pts/g.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Savoie finished last season at a +54.

He currently sits at +54 this season.

People have different views on +/- but back to back +50 seasons is impressive and speaks to him being dominant at even strength.

Also speaks to the sheer dominance of his entire team as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is not a Sabres prospect but couldn’t find another place to put this. 

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/8042640-nhl-college-free-agents-jake-livingstone-leads-list-of-top-available-ufas

While he’s no sure thing He’s rated the top college free agent on this site and a Defenseman with size. I see no reason not to pursue this guy. 

Jake Livingstone, RHD, Minnesota State

A 23-year-old defenseman who has been pursued by NHL teams for each of the last three seasons, Livingstone is a strong offensive performer with size and good mobility. He’s second on his team in scoring with 30 points. He defends well on top of producing, and can be a weapon in transition.

The right-shot defenseman comes in at 6-foot-3, 205, so he has the size NHL teams are interested in. On top of that, he's got some track record with two 30-plus point seasons in college hockey and good numbers from his junior days in the BCHL. He likely tops out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, but there's a lot to like in his game.

Edited by FrenchConnection44

15 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

This is not a Sabres prospect but couldn’t find another place to put this. 

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/8042640-nhl-college-free-agents-jake-livingstone-leads-list-of-top-available-ufas

While he’s no sure thing He’s rated the top college free agent on this site and a Defenseman with size. I see no reason not to pursue this guy. 

Jake Livingstone, RHD, Minnesota State

A 23-year-old defenseman who has been pursued by NHL teams for each of the last three seasons, Livingstone is a strong offensive performer with size and good mobility. He’s second on his team in scoring with 30 points. He defends well on top of producing, and can be a weapon in transition.

The right-shot defenseman comes in at 6-foot-3, 205, so he has the size NHL teams are interested in. On top of that, he's got some track record with two 30-plus point seasons in college hockey and good numbers from his junior days in the BCHL. He likely tops out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, but there's a lot to like in his game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Posting here instead of the trade defenceman thread since it fits better.

Context is why I’m not overly worried about the number of defencemen Adams has taken high (first 2 rounds)in the draft since he took over.

• In 2020, he was entering a situation where the team had just used 3 of their previous 4 high picks on defencemen.
  • He chose 2 wingers (Quinn and Peterka).
  • Prior to that, team had not picked a winger high in 4 years and that winger (Nylander) was a bust.
  • In 2021 he took a defenceman high and followed with 3 more wingers.
  • In 2022, the team had chosen just one centre high in the past 4 years and 1 goalie high in the past 7
  • The team took 3 centres and a goalie

It would seem to me, these things tend to be cyclical and the cycle should swing back to defencemen this year.

I think it also matters where your pick falls and the talent available there. There was no way the Sabre weren't going to pick Kulich at 28 last year, given how high he was on their board.

That said, the above lends credence to those who maintain teams pay far more attention to positional needs than they will publicly admit.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Posting here instead of the trade defenceman thread since it fits better.

Context is why I’m not overly worried about the number of defencemen Adams has taken high (first 2 rounds)in the draft since he took over.

• In 2020, he was entering a situation where the team had just used 3 of their previous 4 high picks on defencemen.
  • He chose 2 wingers (Quinn and Peterka).
  • Prior to that, team had not picked a winger high in 4 years and that winger (Nylander) was a bust.
  • In 2021 he took a defenceman high and followed with 3 more wingers.
  • In 2022, the team had chosen just one centre high in the past 4 years and 1 goalie high in the past 7
  • The team took 3 centres and a goalie

It would seem to me, these things tend to be cyclical and the cycle should swing back to defencemen this year.

It also lends credence to those who maintain teams pay far more attention to positional needs than they will publicly admit.

It doesn't matter if he drafts 7 defenders this year. That doesn't fix our issue. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't matter if he drafts 7 defenders this year. That doesn't fix our issue. 

I agree.

There are four separate issues that are bleeding into the same conversation:

• The fact the Sabres are short one good 2nd pairing guy on the NHL roster.
  • The current inability of the Sabres current 2/3/4/5 guys to play up in the lineup when someone above them is hurt
  • The inability of our 6/7 guys to play up the lineup at all
  • The lack of prospects we can project into filling any of those holes, made worse in the eyes of some by Ryan Johnson's status (both ability and contract)

That's part of the reason why I posted this over here. I wanted to concentrate on the last issue.

Edited by dudacek

The Sabres tried to address the first issue by acquiring Chychrun. They failed, but I assume they will try again.

The fact that Owen Power and Mattias Samuelsson are not yet “good” 2/3s is frequently glossed over here because of how good they are considering their inexperience. Getting them that experience, along with addressing the first issue should go a long way to addressing the 2nd issue.

Acquiring Riley Stillman is an attempt to address the 3rd issue. I hope signing Ryan Johnson will be another step in that direction.

And I hope signing Johnson and acquiring a few more young defenceman over the summer will help solve the final issue.

I’ve never disagreed any of these things are issues, I just think people need to recognize that solving them takes time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.