Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

41 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Out of curiosity, which prospect(s) do people consider expendable as far as trades are concerned?

I value the C prospects more because they could move to wing and even go back to C at some point. I like Savoie, Kulich and Östlund in that order.

Levi stays because he has much potential and there is no one else because of Portillo’s status and Leinonen’s age.

All the wingers are fair game. Rosen is the highest draft status one I am not attached to. I like Bloom and Nadeau but they need a lot of time and they would have to alter their styles to be 4th liners. Neuchev is intriguing and I would keep him because he may have a high ceiling. Rousek has a chance to become an NHLer.

The Sabres D prospects are few so I wouldn’t move any. Johnson may not sign but at least they would get a 2nd rounder if that happens. Komarov was second star with 1G 1A for Quebec this weekend. He is having a good year. Novikov is interesting, he made the KHL as a 19 year old .

IMO, the Sabres have players on the roster who look like they can fill these important roles for a long time:

• 1-3C Thompson, Cozens, Krebs
  • 1-3D Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson
  • Top-6W Tuch (and Skinner, but he's aging)

We are 2 wingers and a goalie away from confirming our core.

I am reasonably confident those three missing pieces are Peterka, Quinn and Levi, so I would be very reluctant to trade any of those without a core piece coming back, but would do it for the right return.

I don't want to trade Savoie, Östlund or Kulich simply because I am high on all three. But logic dictates if you want to play, you've got to pay. They are available for the right return. Johnson is the only prospect in the system that we "need" meaning there is spot waiting and open for him if he earns it. He's available too. The rest are absolutely on the table.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't want to trade Savoie, Östlund or Kulich simply because I am high on all three. But logic dictates if you want to play, you've got to pay. They are available for the right return.

I think this is my perspective. I'd listen to offers on Savoie first because I see him as a Top 6 player--so his value should be high--but I don't see him breaking the roster next year. I don't see him as a bottom 6 player. Because Savoie was born a few hours too late to be eligible for Rochester next season, that leaves him another year in the WHL which I don't know will really benefit him. I'm afraid if he ends up on the roster next season he'll be in the Lafrenière position of being the wrong player on the wrong line in the wrong role and it ultimately hurting his development. If he does make the roster, I hope it's to bump Peterka down the lineup since I can see Peterka playing a third line role before I see Savoie in that position. Although, admittedly, I didn't see Krebs as an impactful 4th liner either. So maybe I am not the best judge.

Östlund will spend next year in Sweden and ELC slide so I suspect he is going to be a part of the Sabres' cap management in the future. I'd still be open to offers on him, but I see the value in three years of having him on an ELC.

Kulich plays like a talented third liner and I see a door open for him to take a role there in Buffalo next season. Obviously if you can trade him for an upgrade, I'd be listening, but I think he's the one Buffalo should be protecting the most because of how we are organizationally built as of right now heading into next season.

The best part about where the Sabres are at this very moment is there should be no rush (at least internally) to get the prospects onto the big club before they are ready.  You may nor may not like Mitts or Jost or VO, but they are NHL players filling rolls.  The young guys can play their last year in Junior...they can play a full year or two in the AHL.  I'm not sure many players were ever 'ruined' by keeping them in the NHL for a year too long.

Does the Horvat deal set the price for Meier?  

Just as an aside, any move KA has to be viewed through the lense of who gets pushed out of the lineup.  For example, if you acquire Meier, one of Mitts or Vo has to be moved in the same deal (or a separate deal) to open a roster spot. Same goes for a defenseman.  If KA acquires a D for the top 6 like a McCabe, one of Bryson, Joki or Clague will have to go.  

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just as an aside, any move KA has to be viewed through the lense of who gets pushed out of the lineup.  For example, if you acquire Meier, one of Mitts or Vo has to be moved in the same deal (or a separate deal) to open a roster spot. Same goes for a defenseman.  If KA acquires a D for the top 6 like a McCabe, one of Bryson, Joki or Clague will have to go.  

Joki isn't going anywhere. I have heard DG talk positively about him and his upside on many occasions. He likes his game as a supporting second pairing defenseman. Especially after watching the last dozen or so games you can see Joki being more confident and assertive in the offensive zone. He's not going anywhere unless a deal is so appealing that you couldn't afford to retain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope people aren’t thinking McCabe is an upgrade on Jokiharju.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I would not want to see Levi, Savoie or Kulich moved. Outside of that anyone is expendable in the right deal.

I’m with you on this one 

A deal that included Östlund or  Rosen has to knock my socks off 

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I hope people aren’t thinking McCabe is an upgrade on Jokiharju.

Ummm see you Bryson

i honestly think he won’t survive playoff hockey.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

None of those 3 have to go anywhere (other than Ra-cha-cha) if a better D-man is brought in.  & by that mean, if a D is brought in then they waive Bryson and his overly large 2 year deal and watch 31 teams pass on picking him up.  Clague likely would get nabbed.  Jokiharju ain't going anywhere.  Nobody is overpaying for Bryson's potential next season.

• Agree 1

Just checking in on Topias Leinonen... yup, about what I thought. Just not an intelligent pick in the 2nd round of 2022. Well at least the RHD that went after that aren't any good. - He said sarcastically after checking in on several. 

Seriously though, it worries me a little that this pick was made still. It didn't make sense at the time and it isn't aging well. if it is a one-off, whoops our bad, type of thing than no big deal but I really want to know the thought process that ranked a sub-par goalie that high on their draft board. Call it curiosity. 

disclaimer: goalies are voodoo so hopefully Leinonen proves my skepticism wrong.

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Just checking in on Topias Leinonen... yup, about what I thought. Just not an intelligent pick in the 2nd round of 2022. Well at least the RHD that went after that aren't any good. - He said sarcastically after checking in on several. 

Seriously though, it worries me a little that this pick was made still. It didn't make sense at the time and it isn't aging well. if it is a one-off, whoops our bad, type of thing than no big deal but I really want to know the thought process that ranked a sub-par goalie that high on their draft board. Call it curiosity. 

disclaimer: goalies are voodoo so hopefully Leinonen proves my skepticism wrong.

3rd round RHD Ty Nelson is having a great season in the OHL.

Not a big guy (thicker than Bryson) but he skates well, has a good shot and QBs the PP.

56 points in 46 games.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Pronman mocked him to Seattle in the second round at pick 58 and many saw him as the best goalie prospect in the draft. Perhaps he’s got more potential than some think. 

6 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Pronman mocked him to Seattle in the second round at pick 58 and many saw him as the best goalie prospect in the draft. Perhaps he’s got more potential than some think. 

He's got a .903% in the U20 and .858% in the Liiga. He ranks 17th in the U20 for sv% 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Seamus Casey and Lane Hutson or Luca Del Bella Cruz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.