Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

Does Viljami Marjala get a contract?

Leads the Finnish junior league in scoring with 48 points in 30 games. Has 2 points in 4 games in the men’s league.

2021 5th-rounder who was drafted out of the Q, so I think he has to be signed this year or he goes back into the draft.

Just now, dudacek said:

Leads the Finnish junior league in scoring with 48 points in 30 games. Has 2 points in 4 games in the men’s league.

2021 5th-rounder who was drafted out of the Q, so I think he has to be signed this year or he goes back into the draft.

Murray did after floating around.  Why not Marjala?

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Murray did after floating around.  Why not Marjala?

Not good enough? Only so many slots and we have a lot of youngsters?

Why does any pick not get signed?

With 22 picks over the past 2 years Adams may have to do some juggling in terms of finding them all places to play.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Correct he needs to sign by June 1st

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not good enough? Only so many slots and we have a lot of youngsters?

Why does any pick not get signed?

With 22 picks over the past 2 years Adams may have to do some juggling in terms of finding them all places to play.

If they feel he has an NHL skill, like speed or a great shot, then they’ll probably sign him and see what happen. If signed, they can still leave him in Europe for a year or two.   No reason to rush.  KA doesn’t like to waste assets and we are still 8 under our contract limit of 50.  We are 25 short of the 90 reserve limit.

• Like (+1) 1

Hypothetical: would you offer Montreal Oliver Nadeau for Luke Tuch?

Nadeau is a big talented winger but the question is his wheels and would he be as effective as a pro.  Tuch brings size and speed but not the offensive chops. He,like his brother, would be playing for the hometown team. He could fill a bottom 6 role with size, physicality and great wheels.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:13 AM, dudacek said:

Yes. He should anyways. 

1 hour ago, MBD said:

Portillo no.  Johnson maybe.

I don't really understand this. So the NHL draft is really such a crapshoot that you can draft a foreign kid and he can just basically ignore you for 2 years, go play in college or a lower league and just become a UFA if over 20 or go back into the draft if under 20? Looks like the rules for USA players are a little more onerous, but basically they would just need to finish college and wait a few months, right? What is the motivation for anyone to sign with the team that drafted them?

Edited by ndirish1978

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't really understand this. So the NHL draft is really such a crapshoot that you can draft a foreign kid and he can just basically ignore you for 2 years, go play in college or a lower league and just become a UFA if over 20 or go back into the draft if under 20? Looks like the rules for USA players are a little more onerous, but basically they would just need to finish college and wait a few months, right? What is the motivation for anyone to sign with the team that drafted them?

That's above my pay grade.

47 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

That's not accurate. There is a years post draft and age restriction for college students. It isn't like I could go and take summer courses and finish my degree at age 20 and be a UFA.

Also, if a team wants to sign you and you're a 20yr old non college player you are better signing with that team than re-entering the draft. All elc's are the same and there isn't a guarantee you get drafted again. The NHL draft is notorious for undervaluing overagers. 

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It's a balance.  CHL gets must get signed within 2 years of being drafted or you lose your rights to them. They also can't play in the AHL until 20.  Thus there are plenty of kids in the CHL playing with NHL ELCs in their back pockets.  However these ELCs don't start until they actually leave the CHL (in most cases).  Savoie is one current example.

NCAA kids, in theory, you get a longer evaluation period as you keep their rights as long as they stay in school. Same goes for European kids drafted out of Europe.  Both Euros and college kids can go straight into the AHL at 18.  The downside, especially with the NCAA, is that once a kids leaves school, you have until August 15th to sign them or they become UFAs.  Guys like former Sabres' pick Cal Petersen, Kevin Hayes, and Alex Kerfoot all took this route.  The vast majority of NCAA players, like Owen Power and Casey Mittelstadt, sign with the team that drafted them. 

The thing with Marjala is he was a European kid drafted out of the CHL.  They come in two forms.  The first is a Euro "loaned" to the CHL team like Alex Nylander, who was then eligible to go the AHL.  On the other hand Marjala was a regular Euro import and my understanding is he was just like any US or Canadian kid in the CHL when drafted and therefore was subject to the CHL signing rules.  Therefore he needs to be signed or we lose him.  

Honestly signing him really isn't a negative.  We have plenty of room under our contracts list to sign him and he can stay in Europe and develop further, like VO did.

As to Johnson or Portillo, while unusual for guys to jump ship, I'd honestly understand if both did.  KA brought in Levi, who is a better prospect in goal than Portillo.  Johnson is a former 1st rd pick, but he is looking at a crowded Sabres LHD group.  When he looks at the depth chart he sees Mule and Power already playing LHD for us, meaning he is at best a 3rd pairing player on his natural side.  Personally I think he can beat out Joki if he can play on the right side, but who knows what his advisors are telling him.  His father is an a former NHLer and current coach of the AHL Ontario Reign (an LA Kings affiliate)/

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's a balance.  CHL gets must get signed within 2 years of being drafted or you lose your rights to them. They also can't play in the AHL until 20.  Thus there are plenty of kids in the CHL playing with NHL ELCs in their back pockets.  However these ELCs don't start until they actually leave the CHL (in most cases).  Savoie is one current example.

NCAA kids, in theory, you get a longer evaluation period as you keep their rights as long as they stay in school. Same goes for European kids drafted out of Europe.  Both Euros and college kids can go straight into the AHL at 18.  The downside, especially with the NCAA, is that once a kids leaves school, you have until August 15th to sign them or they become UFAs.  Guys like former Sabres' pick Cal Petersen, Kevin Hayes, and Alex Kerfoot all took this route.  The vast majority of NCAA players, like Owen Power and Casey Mittelstadt, sign with the team that drafted them. 

The thing with Marjala is he was a European kid drafted out of the CHL.  They come in two forms.  The first is a Euro "loaned" to the CHL team like Alex Nylander, who was then eligible to go the AHL.  On the other hand Marjala was a regular Euro import and my understanding is he was just like any US or Canadian kid in the CHL when drafted and therefore was subject to the CHL signing rules.  Therefore he needs to be signed or we lose him.  

Honestly signing him really isn't a negative.  We have plenty of room under our contracts list to sign him and he can stay in Europe and develop further, like VO did.

As to Johnson or Portillo, while unusual for guys to jump ship, I'd honestly understand if both did.  KA brought in Levi, who is a better prospect in goal than Portillo.  Johnson is a former 1st rd pick, but he is looking at a crowded Sabres LHD group.  When he looks at the depth chart he sees Mule and Power already playing LHD for us, meaning he is at best a 3rd pairing player on his natural side.  Personally I think he can beat out Joki if he can play on the right side, but who knows what his advisors are telling him.  His father is an a former NHLer and current coach of the AHL Ontario Reign (an LA Kings affiliate)/

Which is why they should flip Johnson for someone like Helge Grans. Then LA can put Johnson with Faber again and roll on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.