Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Devon Levi

Savoie or Kulich. Levi is really struggling of late.  Of our top guys Kulich and Rosen have made a step forward. Savoie, Johnson and Östlund seems a little stagnant. While Levi, and Portillo seem to have taken a step back.  Bloom has taken off lately on his new team.  Neuchev seems to be adjusting well in the KHL.  

Current top 10

1) Savoie

2) Kulich

3) Levi

4) Rosen

5) Östlund

6) Johnson

7) Bloom

8.) Kisakov

9) Neuchev 

10) Portillo

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Savoie or Kulich. Levi is really struggling of late.  Of our top guys Kulich and Rosen have made a step forward. Savoie, Johnson and Östlund seems a little stagnant. While Levi, and Portillo seem to have taken a step back.  Bloom has taken off lately on his new team.  Neuchev seems to be adjusting well in the KHL.  

Current top 10

1) Savoie

2) Kulich

3) Levi

4) Rosen

5) Östlund

6) Johnson

7) Bloom

8.) Kisakov

9) Neuchev 

10) Portillo

I don't agree. 

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Really don't get why people think Savoie is going to be NHL ready next year? 

Recent history I suppose.  For every top 10 draftee that takes 2+ years to develop (Quinn, Suziki, Glass) there are multiples who are contributing in D+1 - Necas, McTavish, Berniers, Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, L Raymond, Cole P, Lundell, Jarvis, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Elias Petersson, etc.  Even Mitts made the squad in 2018. So if there is talent in the bottom six keeping him out, he would most assuredly will see a top 9 role by 2024. If Mitts is truly finding his game as a forward on the RW, and Jost continues to contribute in his role, then both contract situations strengthens the Sabres ability to develop Savoie another year with no risk. This also assume Krebs continues to develop with a grinder line this year and next.  But history says many of these kids are ready D+1.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Really don't get why people think Savoie is going to be NHL ready next year? 

As we have posted numerous times, because of his age he either plays in the NHL next season or goes back to Jrs.  At this point, what benefit is there for him to return to the CHL?

So to answer your question, he is going to be in the NHL because it's probably the best place for him next season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As we have posted numerous times, because of his age he either plays in the NHL next season or goes back to Jrs.  At this point, what benefit is there for him to return to the CHL?

So to answer your question, he is going to be in the NHL because it's probably the best place for him next season.

Counterpoint: he will not be one of the Sabres 10 best forwards, will not be getting prime ice time ahead of Quinn, Krebs and Peterka and won’t be a good fit in a Girgensons/Jost slot.

Are you saying he is the replacement for Hinostroza and that will be best for his development?

Or for Mittelstadt or Olofsson and that will make the Sabres a better team?

When we picked Savoie I was on board with your train of thought, but it seems to me circumstances have changed.

Im skeptical a very young team that will be expecting playoffs is going to add a developmental rookie to shelter.

And I’ve not seen enough from Savoie this year to think he’s going to force his way into an unsheltered role.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I can easily see Savoie replacing VO.  The Sabres won’t be sheltering anyone as they don’t now.  They have said in the past they believe they can develop guys in Buffalo and that just practicing with the team helps.  

If Savoie is not going to get much playing time in Buffalo, why would you want him on the roster? Even if he is more advanced than players in his current league, at least he will be getting significant playing time, and more time to physically mature. Wouldn't it be better for his development to dominate in the lower league than lose a year of much playing time in a higher league? Players such as Quinn and JJ got playing time in Rochester before moving up to the big league. I wish that he could play in the AHL next year, but the rules don't allow for it. If you are going to make a decision about where he should play it would be better to error on the side of playing over mostly practicing.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Counterpoint: he will not be one of the Sabres 10 best forwards, will not be getting prime ice time ahead of Quinn, Krebs and Peterka and won’t be a good fit in a Girgensons/Jost slot.

Are you saying he is the replacement for Hinostroza and that will be best for his development?

Or for Mittelstadt or Olofsson and that will make the Sabres a better team?

When we picked Savoie I was on board with your train of thought, but it seems to me circumstances have changed.

Im skeptical a very young team that will be expecting playoffs is going to add a developmental rookie to shelter.

And I’ve not seen enough from Savoie this year to think he’s going to force his way into an unsheltered role.

Expect Savoie has a pretty good chance at a 9 game look see next year.  Would be pleasantly surprised if he extends that for the full year but for the reason's you lay out not expecting it.

Gut feel is that Okposo isn't back next year.  If he isn't, there is AN opening at F out of the gate.  (Hinostroza is almost definitely gone as well, so there's room for either an Amerk running out of his waiver exemption or a FA vet to take his place as the designated pressboxer.)   Unless somebody still waiver exempt really wows out of camp, could see Savoie getting his 9 game look then getting replaced by somebody like Kulich.  Or if they bring in a middle 6 type vet could see Savoie's tryout bumping him or Asplund to the pressbox and that Hinostroza placeholder to the Amerks briefly, or maybe not so briefly.

And really only expect Savoie to get the 9 game look because he can't be Ra-cha-cha bound but they need to see if (hopefully) outclassing kids is better for his LT development or if following the Krebs watch, learn, & train w/ the pros would be better.  Totally get why the CHL insists on that no-AHL rule in their agree,ent w/ the NHL (those are the kids people pay to watch) but wonder if in the future they might be able to work out a deal where the NHL adequately compensates the junior clubs/leagues to put those D+2 guys that are too good for Junior but not for the NHL into the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Recent history I suppose.  For every top 10 draftee that takes 2+ years to develop (Quinn, Suziki, Glass) there are multiples who are contributing in D+1 - Necas, McTavish, Berniers, Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, L Raymond, Cole P, Lundell, Jarvis, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Elias Petersson, etc.  Even Mitts made the squad in 2018. So if there is talent in the bottom six keeping him out, he would most assuredly will see a top 9 role by 2024. If Mitts is truly finding his game as a forward on the RW, and Jost continues to contribute in his role, then both contract situations strengthens the Sabres ability to develop Savoie another year with no risk. This also assume Krebs continues to develop with a grinder line this year and next.  But history says many of these kids are ready D+1.  

and similarly,

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The fundamental difference between comparing him to Mitts and some of these others is almost all of them join weak teams lacking in real quality NHL players. We can't be a training platform and hockey school forever and if, as I think we should be, we are competing finally then the leashes get shortened and the training takes place at the AHL level like it does for teams like Boston. You won't see Lysell in their line up until he beats out a veteran already there (for example). Next year we shouldn't be developing for the next year after that but rather playing to win. 

Things will change and the way the roster functions has to change. Something maybe Sabres fans aren't used to.

Also, he's small, so it'll likely take longer. If he was dominating at his level I might believe you. If he'd set a scoring record at the World's like Bedard I might believe you, but he wasn't even there. 

We're going to start functioning like a good NHL team soon. Get used to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Wheeler is starting his prospect pool rankings, he does 1 a day so I'd guess we'll wait a bit for Buffalo who I think will be 3rd overall.

32nd, Colorado.

https://theathletic.com/3923067/2023/01/09/nhl-prospect-rankings-2023?source=user-shared-article

You think they will be that high considering, by his criteria, Mule, Quinn, Peterka and Power won’t included

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expect Savoie has a pretty good chance at a 9 game look see next year.  Would be pleasantly surprised if he extends that for the full year but for the reason's you lay out not expecting it.

Gut feel is that Okposo isn't back next year.  If he isn't, there is AN opening at F out of the gate.  (Hinostroza is almost definitely gone as well, so there's room for either an Amerk running out of his waiver exemption or a FA vet to take his place as the designated pressboxer.)   Unless somebody still waiver exempt really wows out of camp, could see Savoie getting his 9 game look then getting replaced by somebody like Kulich.  Or if they bring in a middle 6 type vet could see Savoie's tryout bumping him or Asplund to the pressbox and that Hinostroza placeholder to the Amerks briefly, or maybe not so briefly.

And really only expect Savoie to get the 9 game look because he can't be Ra-cha-cha bound but they need to see if (hopefully) outclassing kids is better for his LT development or if following the Krebs watch, learn, & train w/ the pros would be better.  Totally get why the CHL insists on that no-AHL rule in their agree,ent w/ the NHL (those are the kids people pay to watch) but wonder if in the future they might be able to work out a deal where the NHL adequately compensates the junior clubs/leagues to put those D+2 guys that are too good for Junior but not for the NHL into the AHL.

Wasn't there a proposal a year or so ago where a team could have a one player exemption who fit into the "exceptional" player category that you alluded to? As you and @dudacekpointed out even if he is required to go back to the lower league in which he would dominate, in the end it shouldn't stunt his development. It might even advance his development. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and similarly,

The fundamental difference between comparing him to Mitts and some of these others is almost all of them join weak teams lacking in real quality NHL players. We can't be a training platform and hockey school forever and if, as I think we should be, we are competing finally then the leashes get shortened and the training takes place at the AHL level like it does for teams like Boston. You won't see Lysell in their line up until he beats out a veteran already there (for example). Next year we shouldn't be developing for the next year after that but rather playing to win. 

Things will change and the way the roster functions has to change. Something maybe Sabres fans aren't used to.

Also, he's small, so it'll likely take longer. If he was dominating at his level I might believe you. If he'd set a scoring record at the World's like Bedard I might believe you, but he wasn't even there. 

We're going to start functioning like a good NHL team soon. Get used to it. 

Good teams bring up prospects all the time.  Adding youth to the roster is a key component to cap management.  While we aren't close to a cap team now or even next season, we are about to see major extensions handed out this off-season and in another year.  Cozens, Clague and Jost are up after this season, TnT and Mule's deals kick in plus UFAs Z and KO.  After next season Power, Dahlin, Krebs, Joki, Mitts and UPL all need new deals. (UFAs Comrie and VO are also up). How much is that going to cost?  Dahlin (10+?), Cozens (7.5 to 8), Power (6?) alone might cost 25 mill to keep.  

I can easily see VO being traded in the off-season and his roster spot going to Savoie as a 3rd line winger for next season.

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Is anyone shocked by this news?  No, I didn't think so.  This seemed apparent in the off-season, why not trade him then?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is anyone shocked by this news?  No, I didn't think so.  This seemed apparent in the off-season, why not trade him then?

Might not have been much of a market, really. All the Sabres had was the rights to a player that might walk next summer and wasn't ready for the NHL. Only Tim Murray trades picks for guys that are going to test FA.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Frankly if they can get a 7th round pick I'd be amazed.  He's a guy who has placed academics above hockey (not a bad thing). I think teams would be wary on him, but who know.

• Agree 2

Savoie has 41 points after 30 games this season. He has heated up and is near last year’s pace. 

If he continues to track upwards and scores better than last year plus his team going deep into the playoffs he will get plenty of development at that level. He also had off season shoulder rehab, so that may have contributed to a slower start.

Can he play for the Amerks in their playoffs?

With a good summer he may compete for a spot at camp. Getting a 9 game look would help him and the team figure out where he is at in the development curve. I don’t know if there is any benefit to what the Kraken did with Shane Wright (play 8 games, scratched 20ish games, 5 game AHL conditioning stint, released to WJs and sent back to Junior hockey.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good teams bring up prospects all the time.  Adding youth to the roster is a key component to cap management.  While we aren't close to a cap team now or even next season, we are about to see major extensions handed out this off-season and in another year.  Cozens, Clague and Jost are up after this season, TnT and Mule's deals kick in plus UFAs Z and KO.  After next season Power, Dahlin, Krebs, Joki, Mitts and UPL all need new deals. (UFAs Comrie and VO are also up). How much is that going to cost?  Dahlin (10+?), Cozens (7.5 to 8), Power (6?) alone might cost 25 mill to keep.  

I can easily see VO being traded in the off-season and his roster spot going to Savoie as a 3rd line winger for next season.

My point is only that next season he has to earn his spot and not simply be on the roster to learn. If Jost (for example) is on the roster Savoie has to outplay him. If he does, he gets a shot but like Shane Wright in Seattle, if he isn't ready you send him somewhere lower. All depends on what KA does with the roster. 

I'm not concerned with ANY rookie next season unless he earns a spot. Keep stocking the cupboard and if it is too full trade 2 for 1 or something. Or trade for more future picks. Doesn't matter as long as the cupboard stays full(ish). Next year I am only concerned with winning games and doing what it takes to win games. Nothing else matters and imo that should be their focus too. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll be very surprised if Victor Olofsson is a Sabres come next October. 
assuming you bring back Jost and Girgensons , then you have 2 forward spots open. (Okposo and Olofsson)
My guess , they need to sign a power forward, like Miles Wood, for 1 spot and Savoie takes the other

Kulich would be the first call up from Rochester 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is anyone shocked by this news?  No, I didn't think so.  This seemed apparent in the off-season, why not trade him the

No one probably is now.  But last year right after he chose to return to school and I said he wasn't going to sign, I got a lot of blow back.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’ll be very surprised if Victor Olofsson is a Sabres come next October. 
assuming you bring back Jost and Girgensons , then you have 2 forward spots open. (Okposo and Olofsson)
My guess , they need to sign a power forward, like Miles Wood, for 1 spot and Savoie takes the other

Kulich would be the first call up from Rochester 

I'd like to see a Miles Wood type added but I'm not sure there's a real trade market for VO and I'm going to place Kulich ahead of Savoie. Just a guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.