Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

On 10/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, kas23 said:

I would listen to trades involving Quinn or Krebs for the right Dman. I know people may not like this, but I don’t see them breaking into this lineup. They are spare parts being wasted right now. Either that, or sent back down to Rochester. I can’t see any justification for Hinestroza sitting again. 

So I--very briefly--thought about our prospects in juniors and AHL, and thought "no way" would I trade them. Never even thought of Krebs and Quinn. If we did we better get back a seriously good and long term player 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So, you think Quinn and Krebs have a ceiling equal to Hinestroza?   Terrible take.  They should both far surpass him.  

Do you listen to Adams?   This team is still not about right now, it is still a work in progress.   Quinn has a lot of upside as a goal scorer, and Krebs as a playmaker, both are the kinds of player Adams wants.  

A few years down the road, when more of our prospects emerge, I could see some trading happening, but not now.  

Granato was on WGR a couple of weeks ago and said it must be understood that with the addition of Quinn and JJ to the roster this team is younger than last year's team. He made the point that you have to give them playing time recognizing that their play is going to be inconsistent. He also added that these talented young players will undoubtedly get better as the season advances. As a coach he trusts the process knowing that being patient not only benefits these inexperienced players but that it will also pay dividends for the team in the near future. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Granato was on WGR a couple of weeks ago and said it must be understood that with the addition of Quinn and JJ to the roster this team is younger than last year's team. He made the point that you have to give them playing time recognizing that their play is going to be inconsistent. He also added that these talented young players will undoubtedly get better as the season advances. As a coach he trusts the process knowing that being patient not only benefits these inexperienced players but that it will also pay dividends for the team in the near future. 

What patience with prospects? Perish the thought.  

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Savoie is going to be the best in his class 

Who are you and what have you done with @Buffalonill.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What patience with prospects? Perish the thought.  

Most of us are excited by this successful start. However, assuming that this team isn't undercut with an accumulation of injuries, it is going to be interesting to see where this team and players such as JJ and Quinn are at the halfway point, and near the end of the regular season. Both Quinn and JJ proved that their level of play is past the AHL level of play. One of the most enjoyable parts of this season will be tracking the development of these two players during this season. I'm confident that as this season advances this team will get better (assuming the goaltending remains at its current level).

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Most of us are excited by this successful start. However, assuming that this team isn't undercut with an accumulation of injuries, it is going to be interesting to see where this team and players such as JJ and Quinn are at the halfway point, and near the end of the regular season. Both Quinn and JJ proved that their level of play is past the AHL level of play. One of the most enjoyable parts of this season will be tracking the development of these two players during this season. I'm confident that as this season advances this team will get better (assuming the goaltending remains at its current level).

I agree and that should scare the crap out of our opponents.  We are rolling 4 lines right now, but really only 3 have made much of a scoring impact.  I think once Quinn and or Krebs figure it out, we could be seeing a very similar team to that great 05/06 team where we sent wave after wave against our opponents with stunning results.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree and that should scare the crap out of our opponents.  We are rolling 4 lines right now, but really only 3 have made much of a scoring impact.  I think once Quinn and or Krebs figure it out, we could be seeing a very similar team to that great 05/06 team where we sent wave after wave against our opponents with stunning results.

You've made this point before that although these young players were added to the roster, the players they replaced were merely JAGS. Veteran JAGS will in the short run be more consistent making fewer glaring mistakes. But as JJ has already demonstrated he is capable of making an impressive play that a JAG has no ability to make. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, kas23 said:

I would listen to trades involving Quinn or Krebs for the right Dman. I know people may not like this, but I don’t see them breaking into this lineup. They are spare parts being wasted right now. Either that, or sent back down to Rochester. I can’t see any justification for Hinestroza sitting again. 

You are getting torched for this, probably for the bit un-bolded, but I'm with your on the bold. 

Just in the sense that, as a GM, you should always "listen" on any player, short of if you have the one player that can't possible be trumped in a deal, Connor McDavid. I would listen on anyone else. 

The GM calling might be offering up McDavid 😉

But seriously, it's hard for me except in extreme case for me to get on board with "untouchable". It's VERY unlikely someone offers us up a trade we couldn't refuse for, say, I dunno, Tage Thompson, but it's not strictly *impossible.*

Dahlin represents probably the closest to an untouchable that we have. 

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Savoie is going to be the best in his class 

Loved the pick and love the potential on this dude 

Edited by Thorny

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You are getting torched for this, probably for the bit un-bolded, but I'm with your on the bold. 

Just in the sense that, as a GM, you should always "listen" on any player, short of if you have the one player that can't possible be trumped in a deal, Connor McDavid. I would listen on anyone else. 

The GM calling might be offering up McDavid 😉

But seriously, it's hard for me except in extreme case for me to get on board with "untouchable". It's VERY unlikely someone offers us up a trade we couldn't refuse for, say, I dunno, Tage Thompson, but it's not strictly *impossible.*

Dahlin represents probably the closest to an untouchable that we have. 

Loved the pick and love the potential on this dude 

Pretty much this. I don’t think we should view anyone who is not on the current roster as “untouchable”. You never know what may be offered. That said, I asked myself what we are going to do with all the forwards we have amassed? It’s a great problem to have, but there’s very few spots that could be seen as “open” now or over the next 2-3 years. We should be exploring our options. I wouldn’t do anything unless an excellent 3/4 defenseman was coming back though. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

Pretty much this. I don’t think we should view anyone who is not on the current roster as “untouchable”. You never know what may be offered. That said, I asked myself what we are going to do with all the forwards we have amassed? It’s a great problem to have, but there’s very few spots that could be seen as “open” now or over the next 2-3 years. We should be exploring our options. I wouldn’t do anything unless an excellent 3/4 defenseman was coming back though. 

What we have "open" probably changes as the expectations change. We can see that Adams is building a good team, but we don't know how good. It could very well be that we have an "opening" in our top 6 in the sense that we end up actively looking for an upgrade in that area.

Who knows, but I doubt the roster we see in 2 years looks completely filled by the guys currently filling it, or even by the players we see as necessarily the next in line. We definitely have enough resources though to explore all options, I agree, plenty of chips while seated at the table to be in on any hand we want, and yet not feel rushed in making a move. 

On 10/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, LGR4GM said:

I don't agree. I think we need another top 4 defender.

I agree. Totally. 

I wanted 2 (not 1) D man in free agency. I wanted to draft one in the late first or second this past draft. 

After not doing either, I suggested claiming Reilly off waivers as a stop gap measure.

I think our defensive prospect pool doesn't measure up to our forwards. 

I'd have no problem trading a top forward prospect for a top defensive prospect. 

Having said that, the Chychrun deal that's out there is too expensive imo. So I'm not sure if there are any other good options at the moment.

Levi clearly with the most intriguing stat line of all the players in the system.

Ryan Johnson with 5 assists in 6 games for the Gophers.

Topias Leinonen with a terrible .840 sv% in 8 Liiga games.

Lots of interesting early season numbers here:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/53/buffalo-sabres/in-the-system

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Levi clearly with the most intriguing stat line of all the players in the system.

Ryan Johnson with 5 assists in 6 games for the Gophers.

Topias Leinonen with a terrible .840 sv% in 8 Liiga games.

Lots of interesting early season numbers here:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/53/buffalo-sabres/in-the-system

Saw Huglen pretty low on that list.  Anybody been watching the Jack Nicholases (Golden Golfers) to see Johnson have any updates on how he's been playing?

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

You've made this point before that although these young players were added to the roster, the players they replaced were merely JAGS. Veteran JAGS will in the short run be more consistent making fewer glaring mistakes. But as JJ has already demonstrated he is capable of making an impressive play that a JAG has no ability to make. 

JJ's already demonstrated top-6 play at the NHL level.  Not just scoring though... he is an excellent checker, using speed, persistence and an active stick to separate opponents from pucks.  His passing is pretty impressive too.  And he does all this while moving really, really fast.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

JJ's already demonstrated top-6 play at the NHL level.  Not just scoring though... he is an excellent checker, using speed, persistence and an active stick to separate opponents from pucks.  His passing is pretty impressive too.  And he does all this while moving really, really fast.

Cozens-Peterka looks to be the backbone of an awesome checking line that can also score plenty of goals.  Hinestroza is ok, but imagining them with a Tuch, or maybe Kulich down the road is tantalizing.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Cozens-Peterka looks to be the backbone of an awesome checking line that can also score plenty of goals.  Hinestroza is ok, but imagining them with a Tuch, or maybe Kulich down the road is tantalizing.

I think Tuch needs to stay with TT and Skinner on a permanent basis.

Now, Kulich or Savoie with Cozens and JJP sure sounds interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Small sample size so far this season, but Savoie's points per game numbers are down.  As a year older in the same league, I'd expect them to go up, not down.  Hopefully just a slow start.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227300

Edited by LabattBlue

57 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Small sample size so far this season, but Savoie's points per game numbers are down.  As a year older in the same league, I'd expect them to go up, not down.  Hopefully just a slow start.

Could be small sample size.  Could also be he's working on other aspects of his game to be ready for the NHL next year.

His team is 15-1 outscoring the opposition 69-39.  Could even be they're letting other guys play at the end of the game because they seem to be destroying everyone.

Really not worried about him.  He should be real good at the next level once he's old enough to legally buy a beer after a home game w/out 1st taking a trip over the river.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe the Sabres asked him to work on specific areas of his game like they did with Reinhart when he went back to juniors and put up less points per game after his nine game stint up here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.