Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jokiharju isn't a top 4 defender impo.

He's not.  But, he could become one.  And playing w/ one of the other 3 once they aren't kids themselves, he SHOULD be good enough to be effective on the 2nd pairing.  (Kind of like how Dahlin let's Samuelsson effectively be a 2 though he's actually a 3/4.l

Still would prefer he end up anchoring the 3rd pairing, but in a couple of years, his being joined to Power at the hip won't be affecting Owen's performance should that seem to be the best deployment of the top 6.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He's not.  But, he could become one.  And playing w/ one of the other 3 once they aren't kids themselves, he SHOULD be good enough to be effective on the 2nd pairing.  (Kind of like how Dahlin let's Samuelsson effectively be a 2 though he's actually a 3/4.l

Still would prefer he end up anchoring the 3rd pairing, but in a couple of years, his being joined to Power at the hip won't be affecting Owen's performance should that seem to be the best deployment of the top 6.

I don't agree. I think we need another top 4 defender.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

They DO need another top 4 defender TODAY.  But as early as next year, Jokiharju MIGHT be that guy.  (Expect there's a better chance of it being Lyubushkin if they don't go outside, but Henri could continue his development & surprise.)

And, as stated, would prefer it NOT be Jokiharju.  Would rather he anchor the 3rd pairing.

And, as the kids start to get paid (say 3 years out), having a TRUE 3/4 as the 4 might be a luxury they can't afford.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They DO need another top 4 defender TODAY.  But as early as next year, Jokiharju MIGHT be that guy.  (Expect there's a better chance of it being Lyubushkin if they don't go outside, but Henri could continue his development & surprise.)

And, as stated, would prefer it NOT be Jokiharju.  Would rather he anchor the 3rd pairing.

And, as the kids start to get paid (say 3 years out), having a TRUE 3/4 as the 4 might be a luxury they can't afford.

Again, he is what he is. I don't see a massive improvement in Jokiharju future. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Could they play 4 LHD?

Johnson, Novikov, Lindgren seem to be the top D prospects. Maybe Komarov, but he is probably a 5-7.

I see a trade for a RHD prospect in the future, just to speed up the process. I mentioned Calen Adisson from the Wild last year and he seems to have made the jump to the NHL, playing on their PP.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, he is what he is. I don't see a massive improvement in Jokiharju future. 

He's 23.  That's still a few years from when D peak.

He's also improved quite a bit from just 2 years ago.  Pinching below the goal line on the 4v4 for the 1st goal against not withstanding, He's gotten MUCH better at not leaving his partner on an island vs 2 on 1's & even 3 on 1's.  He also is actually a good PKer now.  

He doesn't need "massive" improvement to go from a 5 to a 4.

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Could they play 4 LHD?

Johnson, Novikov, Lindgren seem to be the top D prospects. Maybe Komarov, but he is probably a 5-7.

I see a trade for a RHD prospect in the future, just to speed up the process. I mentioned Calen Adisson from the Wild last year and he seems to have made the jump to the NHL, playing on their PP.

LA has rhd

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jokiharju isn't a top 4 defender impo.

I agree with you, but I believe when this team is ready to compete for a cup Adams will have it figured out. I think you agree with that. I also believe  it's more likely than not that when the time comes we'll have more quality forwards than available slots and our upgrade on D will come via trade. I'm not sure if you agree with that, but I am curious what you think. 

9 hours ago, Hank said:

I agree with you, but I believe when this team is ready to compete for a cup Adams will have it figured out. I think you agree with that. I also believe  it's more likely than not that when the time comes we'll have more quality forwards than available slots and our upgrade on D will come via trade. I'm not sure if you agree with that, but I am curious what you think. 

I've advocated for about a year now that we trade with LA. They have multiple rhd and we have a lot of young forwards. The thing is even if we draft a D this year, they are 3-5 years away and the way this team is starting, Adams needs to support them. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I've advocated for about a year now that we trade with LA. They have multiple rhd and we have a lot of young forwards. The thing is even if we draft a D this year, they are 3-5 years away and the way this team is starting, Adams needs to support them. 

If the right deal is there, sure.

But with the cap space they have, and the top 3 they have, they also could do what they did this year: add a Lyubushkin (or 2 via FA) & draft a Lindholm (or 2 as they have 4 picks in the top 64).

They do have to be careful of adding another guy that is on the exact same timeline as Dahlin, Samuelsson, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Krebs, Power, Asplund, Quinn, Peterka, etc. as if they all pan out as we hope, they'll have to lose some of those they determine aren't core but are 2nd tier.  Adding another D-man right in that same mix of making a decision on making a commitment to, MIGHT be better served by filling the 4 slot w/ Lyubushkin (or a new guy of that vintage) and having the other one be Jokiharju's partner on the 3rd pairing.  Then, ideally when they're ready to walk away from Lyubushkin they've got somebody in the pipeline ready to step up on an ELC.

We know Dahlin can play his off-hand.  He's actually better over there than on his "strong" side.  Pretty sure that we'll see Power & Samuelsson can flip sides as well so if a lefty like Johnson ends up coming in, he'll actually be arriving into top 4 a year ahead of schedule & they can either let an older D walk in 2 years or they have trade bait as their 9th D now won't clear waivers and Bryson, Fitzgerald, & Pilut are either distant memories, exceeded expectations, or are comfortable in 7/8 roles or being veteran AHLers. 

With a 1st and 3 2nd rd picks next year, I suspect we’ll add at least 2 D with those 4 picks.  As to another RHD, I wanted a couple in the last 2 drafts.  However, I’m inclined with @Taro T to think that that guy will come from outside the organization right now.  I hear Vancouver is about to start a fire sale.

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

He's 23.  That's still a few years from when D peak.

He's also improved quite a bit from just 2 years ago.  Pinching below the goal line on the 4v4 for the 1st goal against not withstanding, He's gotten MUCH better at not leaving his partner on an island vs 2 on 1's & even 3 on 1's.  He also is actually a good PKer now.  

He doesn't need "massive" improvement to go from a 5 to a 4.

The D in general and their defensive zone coverage has been a huge improvement over anything we have seen in recent memory. 

Very few players left standing wide open for easy goals...most times they are forcing tough passes to guys who are covered pretty well. No running around chasing the player with the puck in their own end anymore.

Its been pretty impressive to watch.

• Like (+1) 2

I would listen to trades involving Quinn or Krebs for the right Dman. I know people may not like this, but I don’t see them breaking into this lineup. They are spare parts being wasted right now. Either that, or sent back down to Rochester. I can’t see any justification for Hinestroza sitting again. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Just now, kas23 said:

I would listen to trades involving Quinn or Krebs for the right Dman. I know people may not like this, but I don’t see them breaking into this lineup. They are spare parts being wasted right now. Either that, or sent back down to Rochester. I can’t see any justification for Hinestroza sitting again. 

You mean Krebs who has been in the lineup on an every game basis since he was acquired in the trade?

How long does someone need to play to "break into a lineup"? Their whole career?

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Wow! First Quinn is a friggin 20 year old rookie who tore up the A last year.  Tossing him after 4 total NHL is just silly.  

I understand the Krebs thinking a little more.  After all you have to give to get and the depth in our organization is in players with his general skill set.  That said he is only 21 and has yet to even play 70 NHL games. As we saw TNT and now Mitts and Cozens it takes time for even high skill guys to blossom in the NHL.  JJP has made some fine plays so far, but also some terrible ones.  This is what rookies do.   You need more patience.  We have plenty of other guys to carry the load as they learn the ropes and they will.  DG is proving time and again he knows how to get the most from his players.  

I’d like to a RHD added as well, but KA isn’t moving one of these guys to do it.  

12 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Are you actually serious with this take?

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wow! First Quinn is a friggin 20 year old rookie who tore up the A last year.  Tossing him after 4 total NHL is just silly.  

I understand the Krebs thinking a little more.  After all you have to give to get and the depth in our organization is in players with his general skill set.  That said he is only 21 and has yet to even play 70 NHL games. As we saw TNT and now Mitts and Cozens it takes time for even high skill guys to blossom in the NHL.  JJP has made some fine plays so far, but also some terrible ones.  This is what rookies do.   You need more patience.  We have plenty of other guys to carry the load as they learn the ropes and they will.  DG is proving time and again he knows how to get the most from his players.  

I’d like to a RHD added as well, but KA isn’t moving one of these guys to do it.  

It’s not tossing his out. It’s using quality to acquire quality. I have no doubt Quinn will be a very good NHL player. But we have a glut of players like that. I would demand a commensurate return for him. 

18 minutes ago, kas23 said:

It’s not tossing his out. It’s using quality to acquire quality. I have no doubt Quinn will be a very good NHL player. But we have a glut of players like that. I would demand a commensurate return for him. 

Actually we don’t.  Quinn has the skills to score 40 goals in the league. Our best snipers on wing are Skinner and VO and they are 30 goal type guys. VO is also likely gone after next season and Skinner is now on the wrong side of 30.  

I can accept that Krebs could be expendable with skilled playmakers like Mitts and Tuch already here and guys like Östlund in the system, but KA is a value oriented GM.  The Lyubuskin and Comrie deals illustrate his approach.  He has yet to trade any high end young player.  It’s much more likely he’d trade Clague and a 2nd next season to add a depth NHL RHD on a shorter term deal.  It’s why I mentioned Myers.  

Here is how I envision a Myers deal might work.  Van needs cap relief.  We’d trade them Clague and a 2nd for Myers and a 4th with us taking Myers entire contract.  Myers steps into the mentor role for Powers like Tallinder did for him.  KA could them trade Bishop’s contract to a team desperate for cap relief for other assets.  Obviously you don’t make this deal if Samuelsson is only out a few weeks, but if it’s months, a deal like this could become a necessity.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually we don’t.  Quinn has the skills to score 40 goals in the league. Our best snipers on wing are Skinner and VO and they are 30 goal type guys. VO is also likely gone after next season and Skinner is now on the wrong side of 30.  

I can accept that Krebs could be expendable with skilled playmakers like Mitts and Tuch already here and guys like Östlund in the system, but KA is a value oriented GM.  The Lyubuskin and Comrie deals illustrate his approach.  He has yet to trade any high end young player.  It’s much more likely he’d trade Clague and a 2nd next season to add a depth NHL RHD on a shorter term deal.  It’s why I mentioned Myers.  

Here is how I envision a Myers deal might work.  Van needs cap relief.  We’d trade them Clague and a 2nd for Myers and a 4th with us taking Myers entire contract.  Myers steps into the mentor role for Powers like Tallinder did for him.  KA could them trade Bishop’s contract to a team desperate for cap relief for other assets.  Obviously you don’t make this deal if Samuelsson is only out a few weeks, but if it’s months, a deal like this could become a necessity.

I think we are scary think at defense and we really don’t have anyone in the pipeline. I’m not going to count on Johnson. I don’t think the draft is an option as they take too long to develop. I look at Savoie, who I think has a higher offensive ceiling than Krebs or Quinn, and I ask where are we gonna fit him in?

I agree, Oloffson can be replaced. Probably Girgs and KO eventually too, but I want them replaced with the same style of player. For better or worse, Skinner is going to be on the active roster until his contract is up. He’s unmovable and we’re not going to pay him that kind of money to sit in press box. 

Hate to say it, but what happens if Dahlin goes down? If I am going to move Quinn or Krebs, which I won’t be looking to do, it will be for a Chychrun level defenseman or I’ll get off the phone.

19 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Hate to say it, but what happens if Dahlin goes down? If I am going to move Quinn or Krebs, which I won’t be looking to do, it will be for a Chychrun level defenseman or I’ll get off the phone.

What happens if tuch or Thompson go down?

the Sabres arnt building to win it all this year. I hope they do great this season as well.  But you don’t trade your 20 year old reigning ahl rookie of the year who just put up near historic numbers to fill a whole for this season.  Sign another D in the off-season.  

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I think we are scary think at defense and we really don’t have anyone in the pipeline. I’m not going to count on Johnson. I don’t think the draft is an option as they take too long to develop. I look at Savoie, who I think has a higher offensive ceiling than Krebs or Quinn, and I ask where are we gonna fit him in?

I agree, Oloffson can be replaced. Probably Girgs and KO eventually too, but I want them replaced with the same style of player. For better or worse, Skinner is going to be on the active roster until his contract is up. He’s unmovable and we’re not going to pay him that kind of money to sit in press box. 

If it happens tomorrow, they start getting pinned in their zone a lot more than they have.  If it happens after they're healthy, the other 6 guys dressing step up and play harder than they normally would because they know they have to and can find that next level for a bit.

Star players go down every year, and the well run teams adapt.  Moe-ray-all in years distant past could even weather injuries to Price when they expected him back in a handful of weeks.  They'd only collapse after he was out out.  Look at all the injuries the B's are playing through.  You don't make long range moves to solve short term problems unless you truly are one of only a handful of teams at the very top & even then it should only be done if the right move is available.

The bad teams panic at a ST setback and end up staying bad because of it.  Am tired of the Sabres being a bad team.  Pretty sure Adams is too and we won't see any panic moves.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, kas23 said:

So, you think Quinn and Krebs have a ceiling equal to Hinestroza?   Terrible take.  They should both far surpass him.  

Do you listen to Adams?   This team is still not about right now, it is still a work in progress.   Quinn has a lot of upside as a goal scorer, and Krebs as a playmaker, both are the kinds of player Adams wants.  

A few years down the road, when more of our prospects emerge, I could see some trading happening, but not now.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, kas23 said:

aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.