Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Just a reminder, in Junior Varada had 2 seasons in the mid 80 point range in the relatively low scoring WHL and was scoring at nearly a point per game and nearly 0.5 gpg in his rookie AHL year and then put up 30 goals in 48 games before being brought up for good.

Varada was supposed to be a Varada that could play in the top 6.  Just sayin`.

56 goals in 103 AHL games! If I knew that, I’d forgotten.

I think Poltapov doesn’t backcheck like Varada did and also has some puck hog tendencies.

He sure looks good 1-on-1 in traffic though, with and without the puck. He’ll carry guys on his back while making them want to punch him.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd like to point out that in his heyday, Varada was in our top-6. In the 98-99 playoffs he was 6th among forwards in average ice time because he played on Peca's wing and was on the 2nd PP unit. (He'd be 5th if not for Satan's injury because Cunneyworth got top line minutes in his 2-game stint replacing Miro, although Grosek likely would have had more average time had his back not been busted. Dang, those injuries to Grosek and Satan were irksome...losing 2 out of the 3 scorers on the team... blergh.) Anyway, Varada played more than Sanderson and Barnes. 

The next season Varada was 5th on the team in scoring. Then in the Peca-less season he was again in the top 5 for average ice time among forwards. He didn't score a ton, but it was the deadest of the dead puck era and no one on those teams outside of Satan scored much.

Regarding Poltie's KHL contract -- assuming the Russia geopolitical situation calms down in the next year or 2, is he totally locked in to the KHL for the duration of that contract?  Haven't teams or players bought out KHL contracts previously to get them to the NHL?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

neuchev starts the season on Yekaterinburg’s 4th line to start KHL season 

It’s nice to see he has the skill level to play in the KHL. Fourth line there usually means around 5 minutes unfortunately.

40 goals in the MHL so he needs to move up, he may end up in the VHL.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/3610072/2022/09/20/sabres-prospects-kulich-rosen-savoie/

Unlike the season preview, this is actually a solid review of the kids who played in the Prospect Challenge by Matt Fairburn.

1.  Kisakov - 

“When he has the puck, he’s at his best. That’s not always the case,” Appert said. “Some guys are great in other areas. He’s very intelligent. He’s a great passer. His lateral agility is crazy. 

2. Cederqvist - He's taller, stronger with a strong net front presence.  

3. Savoie - Speed and skill a really stood out\

4. Kozak - Sound defensively

“I think I’ll be coaching him soon,” Appert said. “He’s a coach’s dream. He is a coach’s dream, because naturally, innately, he plays the game the right way. He wants to win puck battles. He wants to be first on the forecheck. He penalty kills like a street hockey goalie and wants to block shots. He’s a real honest player. All coaches love those types of players, but he has underrated skill.”

5. Kulioch - AHL ready now. Competes over all 200 feet of the ice and willing to be physical.

6. Lindgren - Speed and great skater.  Makes quick outlet passes.

7. Rousek - Elite passer (according to Appert).  Tenacious on the puck.  "Everyone wants to play with him" also according to Appert.

8. Komarov - needs to work on his first 3 steps to get quicker

9. Rosen - quick release with a very hard shot.  Also good speed

10.  Weissbach and Laaksonen - great help to younger players all week.  Liked Weissbach's offense. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I liked Kisakov a lot. He's sneaky and I think maybe a bit dirty. I get the impression he's found ways to deal with the tough guys.

His on-ice vision is good and his hands and body control sublime. The way he adjusts his feet and frame to open up for the puck, or to make a play is impressive.

Can he be fast enough and/or strong enough to take advantage of his skill at the higher levels?

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I liked Kisakov a lot. He's sneaky and I think maybe a bit dirty. I get the impression he's found ways to deal with the tough guys.

I also got the sense Kisakov was up to something. He took an elbow. He was run at once or twice. I recall he had a collision and maybe drew a penalty by the benches during a line change? He did something(s) to rile up some folks.

• Agree 1

I think Adams has made it clear he likes to take swings on boom or bust guys -- Rosen, Kisakov, Östlund, maybe even Quinn. I guess part of the thinking is that if only one these guys becomes something special it's worth the busts. I think it's not an unreasonable strategy. Rarely do teams with few stars make it far in the NHL.

I like that the prospects have shown well.

KA is patiently running a draft and develop program and it is bearing fruit at the prospect level. Last year’s Amerks run was helped by prospects as well. They seem poised to have a nice influx of young talent to stay competitive at the AHL level.

The pipeline is built and starting to fill up. The Sabres are one of the youngest teams in the NHL and have some great talent developing and waiting for their time. Over the next few years there should be a few prospects ready to break into the NHL, putting pressure on the existing roster. Good players will have to be moved to make room and the returns should fill gaps and areas of weakness.

Not all of these guys will make it but there should be at least 4 or 5 that will have an impact on the Sabres. I think there is enough talent to continue having balanced scoring lines on the Sabres. Whether guys like Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Cederqvist, Kozak, Rousek or Kisakov play on the top 6 or bottom 6 they seem to have some skills sets that can lead to scoring.. Other forwards that could have an NHL future are Östlund, Neuchev, Nadeau, Bloom, Weissbach, Poltapov etc…

I think we are done with JAGs.

The defense is young and looks good but the pipeline could use a few RHD. There is no rush to get prospects to the Sabres. I find Novikov intriguing, he could be similar to Samuelsson.

I will feel better when Levi and Portillo sign. This will mean the weakest position has some solid prospects in the pipeline.

I think this team will play meaningful games in the spring and will improve next year. The pipeline should give this team staying power. There is always optimism at this time of year but I think KA has built something good and sustainable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.